*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1234990-The-Emotion-Factor-Chapter-IV
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1234990
Visiting a town in his path, Burbont may find out that his quest may be too much for him.
CHAPTER IV


HUNTING THE UNKNOWN: A FOOLISH AMBITION?



NOTE: This chapter is also in my book folder as well, along with whatever changes that had to be made. This will be left "as is" just cause I feel like it.





         “I’ve been following these tracks for awhile. It must have been three days now.” On the day he left his village to pursue those responsible for destroying it; he found their tracks hopefully leading them towards their location. The tracks were those of hoof prints, so he concluded that they rode on horseback to attack his village. On these last three days, he walked, hunted to sustain himself, rested when needed, and all the while hoping he caught up with who he was seeking. “Oh no, I was afraid of this. The tracks are beginning to fade; the trail is getting cold.” He continues following them, seeing them getting less and less noticeable. As he got to the edge of the woods, they vanished completely. “No, this can’t be! Now I’ll never find them!” He started to flip when in the corner of his eye, he spotted a small town. “Hmmm, guess I’ll ask for info there and rest.” He walks up towards the entrance and sees two guards in heavy armor in front of the entrance way with a spear in their hands. As he approaches, they suddenly bring their weapons up pointing them right at Burbont.

         “Halt!” They shouted towards him. “Entrance by strangers is strictly prohibited. State your business or leave at once, or else!” They bring their spears slightly closer.

         “Hey, hey, easy men,” Burbont says with the concern of spears almost touching his chest. “I’m just a traveling man passing through. I was just going to enter for supplies and info.”

         They could let the request for supplies pass, but they questioned his info request. “What would some traveler need info for?”

         “Well, for locations on my travels, so I know what to expect.” They were looking at him suspicious so he had to make up a reason from his primary one. “So, may I have entry into here for the time being?”

         The guards look at each other for a moment and then look at Burbont. After some silence, they pulled back their weapons and moved to the side. “Very well, we grant you entry. You better not disturbed the peace around here, you understand?” Burbont nods. “Good. Enjoy your stay in Tranquidor.” Burbont thanks them and he walks into the town.

         Upon entry of the small town, he immediately realized it was much bigger behind the gate then from the outside. Compared to what his village use to be, this was like nothing he ever seen before. The walkways were paved with stone, unlike his village’s dirt paths. The structures were better constructed and more numerous, some being three stories tall. There was a school building, a hospital, stores with various goods, and other various structures. As he walked through the town, he spotted a huge building in the distance that stood bigger than the rest of them. It was paved in limestone and marble with a huge bell donned in the top of the building structure. Never seeing something like it ever before, he walked through the streets while keeping the building in his sights. He walks about and becomes tense at the fact that he didn’t seem to be getting any closer to the structure. He sees a store nearby and walks up to the owner to ask how to get there. “Excuse me, that building back there, how do I get to it? I’m sort of lost.”

         The owner pointed to the structure as the person gave Burbont directions. “Go down this road, take a left, stay on it for three blocks, and then turn right. It’ll be straight on from there, good sir.”

         “Thanks. By the way, what is the building I’m about to head towards?”

         “Oh, that would be our town’s cathedral. It’s basically the benchmark of our town.” The store owner looked down towards the ground and the owner’s voice lowered to a barely audible level. “Without it, I don’t know if our town would have the will to continue.”

         “Huh? What was that last thing you said?” He asked curiously.

         “Oh, nothing. It’s not your problem. You should hurry to what you have to do.”

         “You’re right,” Burbont said remembering what he came here for. As he walked away, he said, “Thanks for your assistance.” Following the directions he was given, he finally arrived at the front of the cathedral. Getting a closer look at it, it was a sight beyond anything he ever imagined before. The front doors alone to the cathedral stood at about fifteen meters tall and seven meters wide, crafted out of rosewood. The stairs leading to the door were a fine marble. He walks up the stairs and reaches the door. He pushes the door open and got sight of the inside of the cathedral. There were two rows of church seats on both sides of the room separated by a red carpet walkway. From the looks of it, there were ten rows of them from the entrance to the podium in the center at the end. The inside was also gleaming of the great craftsmanship that was on the outside of the building, with side arcs coming from the corners of the room and two marvelous chandeliers hung vividly from the ceiling. But what really caught his eye were two pairs of stain glass windows with the image of some great beings on each one of them. Then he looked above the podium and saw that a fifth image of the same sort was painted on the back wall, seeming to rule over the others in both appearance and in stature. As he was admiring the sight, he didn’t notice someone walked in to see who entered until the person called out to him.

         “Hello there young one, it appears that you’ve traveled some ways to this place.” Burbont was startled since he was caught off guard. The person calling to him was an old man. He had a beard and mustache that seemed to join—all white as the marble of the cathedral. Wearing holy garments like a white robe and a cap of sorts, he established himself as the head of the church with no question. “Welcome to the sanctum of the great ones. Don’t fret, I didn’t mean to startle you.”

         “It’s no problem, ummm.” Burbont was regaining his composure.

         “Oh, I am the holy father of this church. I don’t give out my name to anyone anymore.”

         “Oh, well, it’s no problem, holy father.”

         “You can just refer to me as ‘father’ if you want.” He gave a small smile at Burbont’s respect. “But you really are keen on being formal. Where did you learn this from?’

         Burbont replied with a slight hint of sorrow. “I learned how to be formal from my parents. Well, they weren’t my birth parents, but I loved them like they were. You see…” He then went into explaining his past; from how he was found; to their death; all the way to how he got here.

         “I guess I wasn’t making a light assumption from when you got here. You really have traveled a ways to get here. And all of that which you went through in your town, it’s intriguing. Well, rest assured, I’m sure your parents are in a better place now.” Burbont’s face filled with some reassurement from those words. “By the way, what did you arrive here for?”

         “Oh, that’s right. “Burbont was focused again on his primary quest. “I came to this town for information after following some tracks I was pursuing. Seeing this place stand out, I thought of coming here first.”

         “So, what is it that you are in need of?”

         “I’m after a man wearing red armor. He’s the one who killed my parents. From the tracks I was following, I suspect that they were riding on horseback and had a few men following him. Would you know anything about this man?”

         “A man in red you say.” The Holy Father got a serious look, turned away, then back towards Burbont. “I think we should go to the back to discuss this. You may be jumping into something too big for your own good.” He begins walking towards the back of the church, leaving Burbont where he was, wondering what he meant by that. The Holy Father called out to him, “Follow me if you want to know more.” He left Burbont’s sight, who decided to follow soon after.


         Burbont and the Holy Father enter a room in the cathedral, most likely his work office. The Holy Father takes a seat behind his desk, while Burbont sits across from him in a normal chair made of plywood. The room, compared to the entrance of the cathedral, would freak out a claustrophobic in a matter of seconds with the door closed. As far as furniture within the room, only the desk and the chairs the men were sitting in were the only things in the room. The room was so small in fact that it only seemed possible to fit just two people in it. Burbont wondered what kind of use the room could function as, for the small space was pretty pointless to him if it’s only for the Holy Father or personal confrontations. He at least spotted an airway of sorts on the top of the room to let air flow through. If it was anymore isolated without that air duct, one could lose their oxygen supply in at least a half hour if they were calm. While observing his surroundings, he wondered why he had to be brought to such a secluded room for.

         “You’re probably wondering why we had to come to this room for me to talk to you.” Burbont’s attention went straight to the Holy Father with the look of pure amazement, for he was just thinking that same question. The Holy Father thought nothing of his reaction as he continued with a serious tone on his face. “I have to tell you this without the possibility of being eavesdropped by the town guards. You’ll find out about that later, but I must tell you first about the history of this town, in relation to what you’re getting yourself in to.

         “Nineteen years ago, war broke out upon the once great kingdom of Enerjest. The kingdom fought valiantly, but eventually, it was overrun. The townsfolk were ordered to evacuate the fallen kingdom to the rendezvous point of Tranquidor in order to escape and in hopes to one day take it back. But soon after, about a week after the escape, we were found by the enemy and completely overwhelmed by their forces. We had no hopes of winning, so in exchange for our lives, we agreed to be under their rule from that day on. I would go on, but it’s just too much to recollect on my old heart.”

         “Wait, does that mean—“

         “Yes, I am one of the evacuees from nineteen years ago. This town here, Tranquidor, is the very same one under his tyrant rule.”

         “You mean the man in red that I’m after?”

         “I’m afraid the one you’re after is only below the true evil one.” He leans closer to Burbont. “The one I speak of is the dark lord, King Revil. He’s the one who killed the previous king in combat and obtained his throne. The ‘Man in Red’ you speak of his General Gorno, the general of his armies and also his right-hand man.” Burbont was able to maintain his focused on what he needed to accomplish as he heard all of this, but for the very observant, one could see a small breakout of cold sweat, slowly dripping down his face as he heard that someone was above the man he was after for the sake of revenge—and to top it off, a king. “I know you told me that you’re after General Gorno to avenge your parents, but despite my warning, do you intend to go through with this? This is your very life we’re talking about.” Burbont looked at himself in search for his truest answer. After some searching, he looked at the Holy Father with great reassurance of his choice. The Holy Father could see it as well; his eyes were telling him he could not back down. “You don’t have to say it; your eyes tell me everything. All right, I guess I can’t stop you. But before you go, maybe you should rest and freshen up. You have been traveling three days as you told me. Hang on a second.” He gets up and heads to the door. “Stay there for a bit, I’ll send someone to get you to tend to you.” With that, he closes the door after himself.

         Burbont was quietly sitting in the room as he pondered on his course of action. He thought as the minutes passed by. As he got deeper into his thoughts, he was interrupted by a knock at the door. The door opened and on the other side was a young girl. Her hair was blond and short, down to about level to her chin. A few strands hung in front just above her forehead. To her left of those strands, a red hairclip pushed some hair to the side of her head, adding some style to it. Her face was as cute as she was beautiful. Her clothing was a one piece outfit made of white cotton cloth. The edges of it was crafted of a cross pattern on the top, the end of her sleeves, and the bottom of the dress. Above the top trim, around her neck, hung a necklace with an interesting amulet connected to the end of it. Emerging underneath the bottom of the dress by a few inches was a pair of long shorts just ending above the knees. Her footwear was some open toed sandals with two straps across the foot with the second strap connected to the first one perpendicularly, but not making a cross pattern, but intersected more like the bottom of a ‘T’. “Excuse me, are you the one called Burbont?” she spoke out softly towards him.

         “Uh, yes, I am,” He said back with slight hesitance.

         “Follow me please. I’ll show you to the changing room.”  Burbont arises from his chair and proceeds to follow her. Exiting the room, they take a left, and then another left down a hallway. To the left of this hallway through a door, Burbont saw a cafeteria room. Walking down the hallway, they make a right at the end. Going down a second hallway, he sees a courtyard outside some windows on the left side of the hallway. Continuing, they arrive at a changing room. Both of them enter the room and the girl closes the door after them. The girl walks over to a wall holding what looked like some spare clothes, grabs them and then hands them over to Burbont. “If you would please, change into these so I can then tend to your regular clothes. You can change behind this.” She shows him a drab of drab of cloth covering a good corner of the room with plenty of privacy. He takes the spare clothes and walks behind the cloth cover. “Don’t worry sir, I’ll be waiting outside, so please tell me when you’re finished.” She walks out the door and the sound of the door closing was heard soon after.

         As Burbont began changing out of his clothes into the spare ones, he was planning his next course of action. Not one moment did the thought of revenge escape his thoughts; it seemed it was beginning to grip him like binding chains. But besides revenge, he thought of the person who was above Gorno in power. That is what concerned him; King Revil. He made an effort to shake it off and only focus on Gorno, but he wondered about what if he had to face him as well. Soon after, he was in the spare clothes and had his old ones ready to give to the girl. “Ok, I’m ready now,” he called out. She opened the door as she said she would and entered to retrieve his clothes. “Well, here you go.” He hands over his clothes.

         “Thank you for your cooperation. These should be good as new by morning, sooner if not too bad.” She walks to the door and then turns her head towards him again. “Follow me. I’ll show you where to wait until your clothes are done.” They proceed to walk down more hallways as she leads him to the waiting room. Every hallway looked like the last one as they walked, so Burbont thought of starting up some conversation.

         “Um, excuse me, but may I ask what your name is?”

         “Oh, my name is Emily. I work here in this cathedral with the Holy Father. In truth, he actually is my grandfather.”

         “Really?” Burbont was amazed at this fact. “Why didn’t he mention to me before that he had a granddaughter?”

         “Even though he’s open to anyone who enters the cathedral, he knows not to reveal those related to his bloodline, especially with the town guards in our town, in order to protect me.” She stopped walking and turned towards him. “But don’t take that the wrong way. I’m all he’s got left, and he’s all I got too.” She proceed on walking again as she continued walking forward with Burbont following her. “You see, I was born when this town was already occupied by King Revil’s soldiers. I never knew what life was like without his dark shadow looming over this town. But all we could do was live in silence or risk losing our lives if we dare rebelled, as my father explained to me when I was young. So we’ve been obedient to whatever rule he created for his realm.”

         “What about your parents?”

         “They were taken by sickness when I was only five years old. After that, I lived with my grandfather from my mother’s side, following in the teachings of the Great Ones.”

         “Who, or what, are the Great Ones?”

         “My grandfather could tell you all about them later, maybe even more. You are going to stay for dinner at least, right? My grandfather’s request.”

         “Sure, that will be great.”

         “Ok, I’ll tell him that you’ve agreed to stay with us.” She stops and turns her head towards a door. “Ok, this is your temporary room where you can wait till dinners ready and to wait for me to finish your clothes.” She opens the door and Burbont takes a look around the room. It looked about the size of his old room from his village before it was destroyed. It had a bed, some shelves, and a desk in it. It also had a window that pointed out towards open plains. He walked inside the room and sat down on the bed. “Well Mr. Burbont, see you later.” She closes the door behind her.

         “I guess I should relax and gather my thoughts till then,” Burbont thought while relaxing on the bed. He hasn’t been in a soft bed since he left his village, only lying in any shelter available that he could find along the way. The bed was so comfortable that he unknowingly drifted into sleep.



         Burbont was awakened by a knock at the door suddenly. Rising from the bed, he didn’t know how long he was asleep for. Looking out of a window in the room, he sees that the sun has set already. He walks towards the door and opens it. It was Emily who was knocking at the door. “Oh you’re up,” She said. “I’ve come to tell you that dinner is ready. Follow me please.” Burbont nods and proceeds to follow her down the hallway leading to the cafeteria that he saw earlier. He walked in and was amazed at the size of not just the room, which was large in its own right, but the size of the dinner table. It looked like it could serve the whole town without any trouble. Despite the glory of it all, it seemed rather unnecessary for so much with so few people around—just him, Emily, and her grandfather the Holy Father. “Don’t be shy, take a seat over here.” He is taken to his seat near the end of the table, where the old man was sitting on the end, and where all the dinner food was placed. The food looked incredibly tasty sitting on the table. Various meats of many animals, plus great looking side dishes and bread, made up the glorious banquet Burbont was seeing. Emily sat down across from him, placing all three near the end of the long table, which was only using about ten percent of its total length.

         “Oh Great Ones which we have endowed the title of ‘The Creators’”, the old man began to speak in prayer. Emily is following suit in silent prayer as well. Seeing this, Burbont follows as well into silent prayer. The old man continues. “We give our thanks for what we are about to enjoy. We thank you in allowing life to continue on, even in these harsh times of darkness. We know justice will triumph, but this trial that we face will test to see if we can continue living through this. No matter how vast the darkness may seem, the light will guide those willing through the dangers and struggles. Bless the Creators.”


         “Bless the Creators,” Emily repeated.

         The three began to eat among the various foods in front of them. Burbont was a little hesitant of the vast amount there was. “Don’t be afraid,” the old man spoke out. “We don’t usually cook this much, but since you decided to eat with us, I had Emily make enough to include yourself as well.” Burbont turns towards the banquet and grabs whatever food was there he decided to eat. As he took bite after bite, he really was fascinated of the tastes of food he never had in his village. Meats from rare creatures of exotic tastes were giving his taste buds a thrill ride. Midway through the meal, he asked a question.

         “Umm, Father, what are the ‘Creators’?”

         “Hmm, I guess you aren’t familiar with Spiritalaty.” Burbont was silent. “Very well, I’ll explain it all.


         “Spiritalaty is the religious belief that our world, as well as everything around us, was crafted through the will of ‘spirits’, mystic beings that live among the elements that make life possible. It is said that in the beginning, the universe was a mixture of vast energies that covered the emptiness of space. From these energies are where the ‘spirits’ derived from. For a time, they wandered the emptiness of space with no will or any knowing. Then suddenly, a large rock was being crafted from nothingness into a sphere-like shape. As it was being crafted, it was further shaped by waves of fire from within its core. As fire ran across the lands, water began to fall from the sky, cooling off the flames. As the rain fell, it crafted in rivers, lakes, and oceans across the lands. Once the world was finished in their image, the spirits who crafted the world placed themselves within the world to create the vast life forms that have inhabited the planet as early as life began. With the gale winds, the seeds of fertility were planted throughout the world through the will of the spirits. And from that day on, life has continued to this very day thanks to the spirits.

         “As for the origin of the ‘Creators’, they are the ones who mostly created all the life on this planet of ours, from its creation, to the start of life. Our belief is that there were four spirits that created our world, one for each of the primary elements that run through the course of nature the most influentially. Earth: the very planet that we live on, is made up of it. It covers the entire surface and the inside of it while protecting us from the fire that rages on within underneath. It also allows plant life a place to grow such as farmland and trees, and thus maintain life. Wind: the name we give the air we breathe that enables us to live as well. From calm breezes to furious gales, the air around us is invaluable not just for life, but also could be harnessed to ones device if need be. Water: the liquid of life, essential of all life. It’s what allows life to continue on this planet. Without it, plants and animals alike would perish. The planet would go dry and fires could spread unchecked. Fire: the wild savior. On its own, fire is dangerous, but it is not to be ignored or discouraged for its ways. Without fire, decaying plants would chock the planet’s forests, preventing new life, and without our ability to wield it, our ancestors couldn’t fend off the vast dangers they faced. It also brings us warmth and brought cooking in a sense. Concluding to that, we gave a name to each ‘Creator’: Galza of Earth; Alaza of Wind; Aqualza of Water; and Caldaza of Fire. And there you have it; all there is to know about Spiritalaty and the Creators.”

         Burbont sat silently while still holding a piece of food near his slightly opened mouth. So much to absorb, but intrigued at the same time with the town’s beliefs. Back in his village, they didn’t follow a religion like this. Instead, they lived off the land and day by day with the will to survive. He then took a bite at the food he had near his mouth, finished it, and then asked him another question. “So, where did this religion derive from?”

         “No one knows. All the records were lost ages ago. The only ones that kept on the teachings were those who followed the Sarnaman family, or so they say. There are many who doubt this, but they say that the follows underneath the family believed their words for they see them with spirits guarding them from danger. However over time, the encounters lessened until it entered the realm of myths. People still follow the religion, but don’t even mention of the once seeable spirits anymore.”

         I see, he thought to himself. I guess that’s to be expected if there haven’t been encounters in a very long time. Still, it seems so farfetched to me. Guess I shouldn’t say that though to him. “Ok, I know I may be asking a lot, but what was the first known encounter as you said?”

         “They say it was from King Sarnaman I over five hundred years ago, before he took the throne over Enerjest. In fact, because of this power, he got followers and was appointed to leadership. Is there anything else you would like to know that I may answer?”

         “Just one more; where is Revil’s castle located?”

         Silence filled the room as if taboo was spoken. “I’m afraid I can’t tell you right now. If we happen to be speaking of this matter, the guards may execute us.” He gestures to Burbont to lean closer as he whispered into his ear. “I’ll give you instructions tomorrow morning.” Saying that, they both sit back in their chairs and they continue dinner. “Oh that’s right, after all this talk, I never got your name.”

         “You’re right, I completely forgot about that. After all, I got your names but not in return. My name is Burbont. That’s the name my parents called me since it was on my name tag that they found on me when I was found in the woods.”

         “You were found in the woods?” Emily spoke out surprised. “Who left you there and why?”

         “I was already told by the ones who cared for me that they were not my birth parents, but even they never knew who left me there or why.” He started to show slight depression as he spoke. “My parents that cared for me…were killed.”

         “By who?” Emily asked.

         “A man in red armor. Your grandfather here referred to him as Gorno, a man under King Revil. Is that correct, Father?”

         “Correct, that man is indeed Gorno that you speak of.” The old man replied. “But let’s put this aside and finish up this dinner, if you wish to that is.”

         “Yes, that sounds good. Let’s finish up this feast.” For a moment, Burbont’s voice filled with slight joy as if covering his anguish, or to at least forget it for a time.


         Finishing up his dinner, Burbont heads back to the room he was introduced to when he first got here to turn in for the night. The thought of going after General Gorno ran through his head as he tried to anticipate how tough the fight was going to be, if it was going to be a fight to the death. But as he tried to think it through, the thought of the man above him in status and power loomed in his thoughts, this ‘King Revil’ he was told of by the old man. He wondered what kind of man this king could be. He decided to think about it later and get some nice sleep that he hasn’t had in the past three days, since he had to camp on the grounds that he walked on.

         As he slept, a dream occurred inside his mind. During the dream, he was in his old house again. Even though it was only three nights ago when it occurred, he was reliving the events of the fire again. This time however it was like nothing that happened before. He was surrounded by flames just like that night, but in his dream, he was being hit consecutively by arrow after arrow as the flames intensified. After a certain amount of arrows pierced his flesh, the flames that surrounded him were coming to life, into an image of a man. The flames, in the image of a man, reached out to grab him and proceeded to burn him in his hand. His clothes were burning as the actual flames got to his skin. As he was getting burned, he yelled out in pain as it started to burn off his flesh. The flames were burning more and more until finally it was all over.

         He woke up with a loud yell of horror.

         Burbont rose up from his bed in a cold sweat. His breath was heavy and unstable. “It was only a dream. But that was not just a dream; that was a nightmare like no other.” He looks out of the window into the dawning sunrise. “I guess the event is still plaguing me.” He gets out of his bed and sits down at the desk nearby. He looks at his sword he placed in the corner of the room that he received from his adoptive father and scavenged from the ruins of his house. He then turns and looks down at the desk as his mind started to drift again. After some silence, a knock was heard at the door. Burbont responded y getting up from his chair and walking over to the door to open it.

         “Oh, you’re up Burbont.” It was Emily who was at the door. “I came by to give you your clothes back.” She hands him his clothes. “I finished patching them up last night, but after hearing about what you planned to do, I decided to reinforce your clothes to the best of my abilities. I hope you’re pleased by the results.”

         “Um, thank you,” Burbont replied. “How long did it take to do?”

         Not entirely hearing his question, Emily explained what she did to his clothing. “Well, I decided to add a sturdy fabric for starters in order to prevent anymore tearing, but still allow the clothing to breathe. I then intergraded into your clothes another type of fabric that should resist a certain degree of attacks that you may face. They should withstand any attacks from predators out there, but don’t gamble them against swords or things like that, ok?”

         “Thanks for that, but I asked how long did this entire task take? I hope it didn’t take too long.”

         “Oh, I’m sorry. It all took me about five to six hours.” After saying that, Burbont looked at Emily’s face. He could see that she was hiding her fatigue since her eyes weren’t fully opened by the smallest bit, unnoticeable to those not focusing in on her face. “It was about a half hour to patch them up, and then another four to five hours or so to reinforce them, taking a five minute break between hours.” She turned to leave when she remembered one last thing. “Oh, my grandfather would like to meet you in the main hall.”

         “The Father wants to meet with me? For what?”

         “He wishes to give you something before you head out. I better leave now.” She leaves the room.

         Burbont closes his door so he could change in private. After some though, he spotted something odd; Emily’s tone towards him contradictory to her appearance when she spoke to him. She always looked sincere and kind, but when she spoke to him, she talked to him like a total stranger. Or at the very least no joy in her voice. Looking at his clothes, he wondered if she reinforced them because she wanted to, or that she felt like she had to for some reason of her own. Was it because he explained that he was going to head to Revil’s castle, so she felt like she had to go through with this? Was it an order from her grandfather, the Holy Father? Or was it something else completely. He didn’t know, so instead on trying to dig out an answer, he changed into his new, reinforced clothing, grabbed his sword, and headed towards the main hall. As he gets there, he sees both the Holy Father and Emily waiting near the exit of the cathedral. He walks up to both of them to see why the Holy Father wanted.

         “Ah, there you are Burbont,” The Holy Father called out. He pulls out a piece of paper and hands it to him. “As I said I would tell you where King Revil’s Castle is located. The directions are on this paper. Now don’t lose it!” Burbont nods in understanding. He places the note in his pocket and starts to head out the door when the Holy Father said one last thing. “I hope you have no regret in your decision Burbont.”

         Not looking back from the exit, he replies, “Don’t worry. This is what I’ve decided. I want to—no, need to do this.” He walks out the doors of the cathedral.

         He heads towards the front gate of the town’s boarders where the two guards were still stationed. They looked at him as he walked up to them, but Burbont gestured with his body that he was leaving. The guards step aside and allow him to exit. He leaves the town of Tranquidor behind as he heads off to his next location. After some distance, he checks the note given to him so no one else could see him reading it. Reading the note, he finds out that the first instruction was to head north along the road. He didn’t know where north was, but as he opened the letter more, something fell out of it; a compass. With his new compass in hand, he finds north and heads off towards the path he set for himself to accomplish.

© Copyright 2007 StubbornSoul (stubbornsoul at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1234990-The-Emotion-Factor-Chapter-IV