*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1236784-Double-Dribble---Chapter-1-Movin-On
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sports · #1236784
Chapter 1 of "Double Dribble", about an university basketball team
This is the first chapter of a 'manga idea' which was in my head for a while. However, I do not have the drawing skills at all, thus relegating to the idea of writing the whole thing out instead (not that writing is bad).
The basis of the manga/story is that the main character is a basketball player who just entered a US university and got into the basketball team through a tryout.
Comments welcome. You can find (approximately) weekly updates here: http://pen-writing.livejournal.com/

Critiques are definitely welcome. Based on response later chapters will also be posted here, but the journal itself is the place to get the latest chapters.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It took team D a short while to figure out who’s who. Mick Gonzalez was the power forward who didn’t make last year’s tryouts. Jamal Johnson was the center, who actually practiced with the team last year (as redshirt – practicing with the team but not playing their games) but still needed to tryout for this year. Kyle Kinston was the point guard, and a white guy. He initiated team D’s gameplan based on Mick and Jamal’s experiences. Ricky Daniels was the shooting guard and he told us that he’s good for long distance shots. Hotshot played the small forward position but since he’s a sub, he can’t do much in the first half and it’s not up to them on who’s he subbing for.
When Kelvin was asked what position he played as, he said “Small Forward.” The other 5 guys gave him a weird stare. Kelvin didn’t find this too odd, since he knew he’s the shortest guy on the team.
It took him some time to explain that it was his natural position but eventually Kyle decided that it would be better if Kelvin were playing at the SG position and have less of a height disadvantage, and switch with Ricky. Kelvin could not disagree, so that was how their starters would be.
Their gameplan was basically mostly with Jamal and Mick by pounding inside, since they have had the height advantage for these two – both 6 foot 11 players. Jamal had more muscle as well so most of the shots will be delivered to him while Mick complements him.
As for the other guys Kyle said that he will look out for opportunities and openings. Ricky would have to run a bit more to mess up their defenses, plus open shots. Meanwhile Kyle said that (based on what Kelvin said to him: “I’m a slasher”) Kelvin will be hovering at midrange and then driving in for layups.
Unfortunately there wasn’t much time for defense assignments, and team D went to man-to-man with Kelvin guarding their point guard to minimize their height advantages.
According to Kyle anyway.

Kelvin’s team was now down 5-2 and he found out that Kyle tookk too long to make passing decisions. He had 3 turnovers so far. Only Jamal got the two point. Kelvin haven’t even touched the ball.
It’s team D’s ball and Kyle dribbles up the court. “Guys, we’ll be okay,” He yelled out to his teammates. “Let’s keep a medium pace.”
Suddenly two guys swarmed up to him before he reached halfcourt.
“What the hell!?” Kyle yelled. He’s trying to dribble through them but these two guys weren’t letting him go past the halfcourt lane. Kyle only have 3 seconds left for backcourt.
“Hey Kyle! I’ll take over!” Kelvin figured that if this isn’t going to work, he would take his spot for the time being. Seeing Kelvin at the edge of the eye, Kyle throws the ball at his direction.
“!!”
“Holy shit!”
The ball got intercepted by a third player and he dribbled down the court for a layup. That made the score 7-2 now.
Walking up to Kyle, Kelvin said, “Kyle, I’ll take point.” He looked quite exhausted with that halfcourt trap, and understandably so since the other two players who were marking him were also sweating.
“Alright Kelvin, you take point then.”
The ball started off in Kelvin’s hands and while dribbling, Kelvin noticed the opponents weren’t swarming at him now. He thought they’re looking at what he could do first before making any decisions. Going to the top of the 3 point lane, the opposing point guard, a guy who’s noticeably a head taller than him was covering my view. Turning around to protect the ball while dribbling, Kelvin looked left and right to see who he could pass to.
“Hey shorty, you think you can pass through me?” The guy was trash talking to him. In no mood to respond to him, Kelvin decided to look for more openings.
Kyle gets into his field of vision but knowing that he’s a slow decision guy, Kelvin looked elsewhere and found Ricky at the 45 degree spot. Throwing the ball at him, Kelvin believed that he’ll do better than Kyle.
The guy defending Kelvin looks to Ricky and found him open, and ran towards Ricky’s direction. Seeing that he was finally free from this guy, Kelvin started running into the lane and raised his left hand.
Ricky saw him, and immediately bounce passed to Kelvin while the guy just reached Ricky. Seeing that there was an open lane, Kelvin decided to drive right into the paint.
Going right at the basket and jumping off, Kelvin immediately found a large hand going for the ball. Obviously not on his team, and the guy was going to slap the ball out of Kelvin’s hand.
Quickly Kelvin saw Mick right under the basket and retracting his right hand from that person’s palm, Kelvin sent the ball straight to Mick.
In quick succession Mick grabbed the ball while jumping for a one handed slam. It was finally 7-4, a little bit closer but in no way it looked like it’ll be an easy battle.
“Nice work Kelvin!” Jamal yelled. Mick gave him a high five and team D went back to defense.
Their defensive assignments haven’t changed and Kelvin was in charge of guarding their point guard. After a bit of observation Kelvin was starting to see how this opposing guy works.
He’s 6-2 and he liked to drive to the rim. Adding to that he got some muscles, so he could do a little bit of pushing or power moves to put Kelvin aside. In fact, he scored the first two points by going directly to the rim and dunking over Mick.
Being a little interested Kelvin decided to give a better effort in guarding him. Kelvin seemed to get his basic pattern down.
Dribbling down the court and onto our 3 point territory, Kelvin quickly approached him and he took a step back.
“Shorty that was some good display you got, but I’m mowing you down.” Saying with some confidence, he dribbled from his right hand to his left hand.
“Oh yeah? Then try again, fatboy.” Retorting to him, that was the best comeback Kelvin thought he could make. But it did work, somehow. “If you say that again shorty, I’m going to freaking slam the ball right at your head, ya hear?”
Taking this opportunity, Kelvin moved his right hand and went for the ball while he got angry. Kelvin managed to poke the ball out of his dribble!
“Shit!!” He turned around and tried to go for the ball again, but someone got the ball first. That would be Kyle.
“Guys, come up!” He yelled. Ricky was already running ahead of him so he gave Ricky a quick toss, and Ricky did a layup. It’s 7-5 now!
Afterwards the opposing point guard seemed to lose his cool and tries for a 3 pointer over Kelvin, but the rock didn’t even hit the rim and Jamal gets the rebound. Giving the ball to Kelvin, he immediately passed to Ricky who was at the 3 point lane unguarded. With a great shooting touch, he scored from 3 point land and it’s 7-8, winning the match at this moment.
The next possession was pretty much the same except that the opposing point guard trying to pass the ball right inside the key but Kyle actually got hold of the ball instead. So he dribbleed upcourt quickly and did an easy layup. It’s 7-10 and team D can substitute now.
Hotshot Maxwell had been doing warm-ups and tossing around with the ball since the score got close. He seemed quite excited. “Hey guys good job without me! We’ll beat them 21-7 with me in the court!”
Coach Acer said, “Alright, substitution, Kyle, you take a rest. Hotshot you’re in.”
Kyle did look a little tired but he did give his best, even though the other guys in his team thought he doesn’t cut it as the point guard. Regardless he helped defensively.
“Alright guys, the magnificent Hotshot, checking IN!” Hotshot yelled. He tried to rally the crowd, but then realizes that it’s a practice court, and not a stadium. Hotshot got quiet immediately afterwards, and gathered at their huddle.
“Alright Hotshot, we’ll go with you as the small forward and Ricky goes back to shooting guard.” Kelvin said. They all agree, and immediately they got ready for team A.
The opposing point guard brought the ball up the court and looking around, he passed over to the guy Hotshot is marking. That guy went for a shot, and Hotshot jumps up.
“!!”
It’s a pump fake, and the guy dribbled sideways and shot the ball from there. So it’s 9-10 now.
“Hotshot, don’t get faked by that guy!” Jamal yelled.
“I know I know!”
Regrouping Kelvin took the ball down the court himself, and seeing that Hotshot is free from the opposing marker, he passed right to him.
Getting the ball, Hotshot ran towards the basket without dribbling. 1 step…2 step…3 step…4 steps????
“Traveling!” Coach Acer yells.
Hotshot stopped and dropped the ball. He then went back to his teammates.
“Guys…” He whispered. His teammates looked at him in slight disbelief thinking that this vociferous player suddenly getting quiet and a little mellow all of a sudden.
“…I don’t know how to play basketball…”

- End Chapter 1: Movin’ On -
© Copyright 2007 penpen35 (penpen35 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1236784-Double-Dribble---Chapter-1-Movin-On