*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1237096-The-Twins
by Caera
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1237096
A teenage mother reflects on the possible lives of her two children.
    A mother sat on her bed, reflecting on her children.  The two twins, now teenagers, each held a special place in her heart.  The boy’s name was Aaron, and had his father’s charms: an athletic build that graced him with speed and strength, long, rich brown hair paired with deep brown eyes, and a heart bigger than anyone could find.  Aaron held the position of team captain in soccer, and mastered the field with his abilities.  He could fight through any block, but rarely fouled, a feat beyond any of his teammates, who learned quickly to respect him.  He never demanded their respect, though, and readily accepted that some had talents that he lacked.  On and off the field, though, the boy was blessed with immeasurable good looks.  Although solid, Aaron was not bulky, and his dark complexion and intense eyes caught his female classmates’ attention time after time.  His friends rarely grew jealous of him, however, because he always valued their wishes, and held a strong sense of right and wrong.  His mother had instilled in him a feeling of honor, so her son rarely made decisions on his own wishes, preferring to choose the best course for the group.  Aaron knew his place, and never hesitated to compromise, despite the temptation to carry about a raging temper like his Scottish ancestors.

    Aaron’s sister, Elisa, favored her mother’s graces.  Elisa never grew fond of athletics, but could hold her own in almost any sport.  Like her brother, she was short for her sex, fully grown yet only three inches above five feet.  The girl excelled in the arts, spending hours painting scenes near their home, or playing guitar in her room.  Elisa held several art displays in the city, and collectors often called their home, asking to buy a painting of hers.  Her ability with music became as clear.  The girl sold recordings of her acoustic songs for as much as any celebrity, but refused to join a label.  She was a reserved young woman, and few knew her as well as they would like.  Everyone desired to be her friend and her flowing brown hair and green eyes made her popular with the opposite gender; she rarely went a significant time without a boyfriend.  However, the young men that she dated struggled to understand her heart, for although Elisa’s heart was as large as her brother’s, she kept it hidden.

    Despite their differences, Aaron and Elisa were inseparable.  During their first few years, Aaron would begin their mission of the day, whether destroying the living room or skipping naptime to play and Elisa would cover for them both, always assuming the role of an older sister, as if the two minute difference required it.  If one was injured or punished, the other would take the duty of protection, choosing to sit it out rather than ignore his closest friend.  As they grew their interests brought them to different places, but never would they grow envious or distant.  If Elisa didn’t approve of Aaron’s friend, he would consider her opinion, and often agree.  If the young man disliked Elisa’s boyfriend, the boy would rarely date her for longer than a week.  Throughout their childhood, their mother watched proudly, blessed with her beautiful son and daughter.

    One day, the mother was talking on the phone, and missed a stair step, tumbling down the flight of stairs.  With her, she brought Elisa.  The next week, Elisa passed away.

    A month later, the mother lost Aaron as well.

    The mother’s cell phone rang, jarring her out of her thoughts, and she noticed the tears streaming down her cheeks.  The girl answered it, and heard her boyfriend’s voice.

    “Hey, are you alright?” he asked, recognizing the sound of her tears.

    “I’m fine,” she choked.

    “Sweetheart, it’s not your fault you lost those children.  Most teenage pregnancies end in miscarriages,” he tried to comfort her.

    “I know,” the fifteen-year-old whispered, and pulled the trigger.
© Copyright 2007 Caera (caera at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1237096-The-Twins