*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1237125-Dont-Interrupt
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Magick
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1237125
Even hosts shouldn't interrupt when a guest "drops in."
         Silently, Kael turns the corner to the hallway that leads into the dining hall, the clatter of plates and goblets making noise enough to know that they've been here for some time before. He pauses in his approach as a servant passes beneath him, crouching to gain a better grip upon the bar of wood crossing from one wall to the other forming a main support for the ceiling. The servant whistles to himself softly, oblivious to the dark figure perched upon the crossbeams not ten feet from his head, as he carries out his chores. He watches the servant for a moment longer, listening carefully to the silent whisper of the servants feet as they glide across the stone worked floor.

         Out of sight, out of mind. As well as fairly impressive in his own right. But for now, the matter at hand. I've not come for a simple servant this day. Standing, he glides from beam to beam, moving ever closer to the dining hall. Upon reaching the end of the hallway, he rests his hand against the stone wall above the open archway. The murmur of voices can barely be heard above the noise within, even from this distance. Holding onto the bar with his feet, he gazes inverted into the dining hall. The table in the center of the room appears skeletal as five suspicious men dressed in black tunics occupy the chairs around it. A lone female in a lavender dress sits at the tables head, engaged in conversation with the others. They're all here. This should be entertaining if nothing else. Finding a handhold at the top of the arch, he releases his feet to swing around the opened frame and propel himself upwards into the dining hall itself. Using the wall as a ledge, he springs into the crossbeams once more. A moment passes before he moves to the center of the room, watching the six carefully if any noticed his entrance. They didn't. Bracing his feet within the supporting structures holding the roof, he lowers himself to stare down at the table two dozen feet below. His allows his cloak to slowly unfurl and drape down above his head, blending in among the score of crimson flags hanging above the dining hall. From this height, the voices are clear even above the clatter of dishes.

         The female puts down her goblet and speaks with tightly controlled anger, "With your lack of patience, Threll, it's a wonder you make any living at all."

         "Making contracts and fulfilling them are two different things, Milady," the one addressed as Threll retorts while nearly spitting out the last word. He bows mockingly within his seat, waving a turkey leg out in the direction of the female. Some of the others around the table chuckle at the antic.

         She allows the mirth to die before continuing, ignoring the remark, "A simple kidnapping. I want her alive and unharmed, no questions asked. The twenty thousand pieces of gold will be delivered as promised." The men fall completely silent once more as the sum of gold is stated, their attention focused upon the lady in lavender. "Work together or alone, I care not, but she must be delivered before the weeks end. Remember the Palace of Alsha is guarded like the gates of Hell. As well they tend to be a bit inhospitable when you don't have an invitation to see the princess." The men around the table chuckle again in response.

         Plates clatter and swords are drawn from their hidden scabbards as Kael lands neatly upon the table with feet on either side of a roasted pig. "A princess?" His soft voice loud in the sudden silence, "You want us to kidnap a princess? Had I known this is was what you were after, I would not have bothered coming at all."

         The female quickly composes herself, "Kael. I see you've made it after all. Yes, I want you all to kidnap a princess. You seem opposed though."

         "I did and I am. Kidnapping of princesses went out of style a long time ago. Or did you not receive the scroll?"

         Nervous laughs sound from the men. With swords still drawn they step around their overturned chairs. Ignoring the others, she continues, "That choice is yours, but I thought that surely one of your great skill and reputation could do this simple task. While the deed is easy, I'm sure that the gold offered will encourage you to overlook any misgivings you may have for out of style practices."

         "You can't be ser-"

         "Thirty thousand then. Surely that's a sum, even for a man of your talents," she offers, cutting him off.

         "You would do well not to interrupt-"

         "Forty then. My final offer," she interjects. Kael looks hard at her without speaking, his face remains placid even as his ire for this woman rises higher for being cut off again. Feeling the tension in the air between the two, the five men raise their swords higher. Moments pass before she breaks the silence, "Have it your way. But you cannot be left to leave knowing our intentions." She nods slightly to the men. Five swords lash out at the dark skinned man upon the table.

         Wiping the twin daggers clean, the red and blue glow disappear into shadow as they slip back into hiding upon the cloaked figures thin frame. "I said you would do well not to interrupt me again," he speaks to the six bodies over his shoulder as he leaves the dining hall, dropping the lavender rag onto the floor. "I was wrong. It was not very entertaining either."
© Copyright 2007 Magick (cylomar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1237125-Dont-Interrupt