*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1237379-The-Struggle-to-be-Content
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1237379
A Humanistic perspective on today's society
         At this moment in time it is 12:30 a.m. I just finished watching the news and once again I prepare for sleep in a state of aw. At times I find myself unable to sit through the nightly news. I want to believe there is much more good out there than they are letting on. However, the fact that we concentrate on the negatives--whether the good is there or not--says a whole lot about our society. Our planet doesn't seem to have much of a future. And the one there is, doesn't looks so grand. It seems to me that our priorities our way out of whack. Why is it that almost every nation--big, small, powerful, or weak--can throw together a large or even massive amount of people to form an army. But our humanitarian forces are slim and without numbers. This comparison is a good example of the struggle that mankind is in.

         This struggle I speak of is man’s fight to survive in a world dominated by violence, money, and hate. We must recognize that human beings alone are both the problem and the solution. Every human being deserves the right to a helping hand when they fall. We feed off each other in that sense. Put it this way: if every person on earth required help from their fellow man to get back on their feet when they fell, I fear we would be in sad shape. I think our planet would be scattered with millions reaching for the heavens. And those who could walk would keep their hands in their pockets. Humans, as a species, need help from their peers. That's what we're here for; to help one another.

         With all the vast problems of the world, the idea of improving the situation can seem futile. This is the sort of mentality that we have been given in our globalized society. We must not give into this mindset that the problem is out of our hands. No one person can clean up the entire world's mess. But with some intelligence and a little effort, we might just make this life worth living. It is the individual’s job to make a personal impact on those around him or her. By doing so, we can not only better the lives of those around us; but our own lives as well. When the quality of life around you improves, the same will happen for you. So do yourself the favor: be more aware of the impact you can make. It may just be your own life you improve.

© Copyright 2007 Russell Pryor (russellpryor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1237379-The-Struggle-to-be-Content