*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1237518-The-Dreaming---Prologue
by Nathan
Rated: 13+ · Other · Thriller/Suspense · #1237518
The mystery begins
The Dreaming
Prologue

Tanya fiddled around with her hair tie for quite some time before pulling it free and letting her long brown hair fall past her shoulders. She casually pulled the sheets over her body and rested her head onto her warm woollen pillow. Without opening her eyes, she reached for the light switch near her bed. The light from the lamp shot brightly beside her. Knowing the exact position of the switch she did not falter as her thumb ran across it, and the room turned black.
“Night hunny,” her father called from the next room.
“Night Dad,” she said.
She opened her eyes slightly and looked at the clock on the wall opposite her bed, 11:45pm.
She felt a searing cramp in her legs as she stretched them to their full extent, but the cramp felt relieving.
It had been a long day.


Memories of the day ran past her head in infrequent intervals as she rested. Soon she would be asleep, and when she woke the next morning, these memories would be less clear. She always took time to think about what she had done that day while it was still fresh in her mind.
As she slowly drifted into a greater state of relaxation the cramp in her leg began to fade.
You never remember the few moments before you fall asleep. How long did you take to go to sleep? It is an unanswerable question. You cannot look at the clock the precise moment before you drift off and remember it the next morning.
The only way to do this was to be in Tanya’s situation.
Just as she was about to fall asleep, she heard a large bang.
She shot up, her eyes widened.
Immediately, “Dad.”
Her Dad leaned his head in her doorway, placing his index finger over his lip and his hand signalling to stay there.
As he swung out of site Tanya saw that he had a large bat in his hand, ready to attack.
She looked at the clock, 12:02am.


Tanya heard her father’s footsteps creep down the stairs.
What was going on?
She disobeyed her father’s orders and got out of bed, and began towards the doorway to her room.
Another Bang.
A scream.
Her father’s voice.
She bolted out of her room, and just as scared as she was every night, she headed towards the stairs.
As she ran, she thought, so confused.
“How could this happen?”
“I didn’t even dream.”

To be continued......

"The Dreaming - Chapter 1
© Copyright 2007 Nathan (vai_05 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1237518-The-Dreaming---Prologue