*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1237579-Flew
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1237579
Entrapment of the soul, this is the breaking of reality. (experimental)
                The wind pulled at her hair. She stared coolly into the bright horizon before her, frigid fingers slicing at her scalp. The city sounds were dull at this height, numbed and muffled by metres of smog. Desperately reaching palms of buildings stretched to the limits, and she was enthroned above it all.
         Her feet clung to the ridge, even as she lifted them to breach the barrier that held her there. Howls of demanding voices screeched through her, gouging their way into her clothes. She stood, barely balanced, and raised her arms, fingers pointed loosely into the distance. Eyelids fluttered closed briefly, entrapment of the soul.
         And she stepped.
         Whorls of colour passed her. Screams and cries of a grasping breath. Time ceased existing, reality shattered, and she smiled slowly. Exultation flooded her; she laughed for the sheer pleasure of it. Surges of joy floated in the air behind her, and she whipped downwards.
         It was a cruel ending. The happiness splintered, sound broke, and the body flattened and splurged in a gruesome parody. Different screams raced around it. The red stained everything.
         She flew still.
© Copyright 2007 Centrau Guardian (chilmayra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1237579-Flew