*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1241684-Country-Lady---CH-7-8
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Romance/Love · #1241684
Lizzie and Derek's absence is discovered--with a unpleasant suprise for both of them.
Chapter 7


“So are you happy you came?” Derek asked Lizzie as he handed her some sort of punch he had retrieved from the back of the town hall. Her face was bright and she gave him a big smile.

“I can’t tell you how much fun I am having, although I am certain I must be the most terrible dance partner you have ever had the displeasure of dancing with. I must have stepped on your toes ten times.”

“But that was in the beginning, you are picking it up very quickly. I am just pleased you are having a good time. It seems you have a few admirers already. You were quickly whisked away as I left to retrieve these.” Derek glanced over at the young man who was still watching Lizzie covertly from the other side of the room.

Lizzie’s glance went over to the friend of her brother’s who had asked to her dance, surprised when he winked at her. “He is a friend of John and Michael’s. I wouldn’t say he is an admirer.” She smiled back at Derek. “Besides, I am more than content with my current companion. I am lucky to have such a wonderful dance partner all to myself.”

He smiled back at her warmly, happy he made this day special for her. “I am flattered. For it is certain, I am with the loveliest woman present.”

“You are just being kind, but I must say I appreciate your gracious words.”
He bent down a little closer to her ear. “It is not kindness to speak the truth, and if I was to be here longer I would make certain you believe my words.” He watched as she blushed and turned her head slightly and he couldn’t help but enjoy the charming reaction. He wondered if perhaps he should extend his research here a bit longer. It would be interesting to see what might develop between them. He was definitely more interested in Lizzie than he probably would care to admit. His gaze floated about the room as he took a sip of his drink, and he frowned as he noticed John and Michael enter with a serious expression on their face. “I think our disappearance has been discovered.”

Lizzie looked up sharply and followed the direction of her gaze. Her smiled disappeared into a frown and she set her drink down quickly and gripped Derek’s hand. “Well, I will not be sheparded home like a stray sheep. Come on.” She pulled his hand and led him towards the rear door. She passed several women who gave her an obvious look of shock, but she could care less. She hurried through the door pulling Derek behind her.

“You know this may not be such a good idea, you could damage your reputation sneaking out the back with me.”

“Today I am twenty three, and I have decided I could care less what the people in this town think.” Lizzie scoffed. “Now where can we hide, for I am sure they will be outside in a couple minutes.”

“What about behind the wagon over there?” Derek took charge and pulled Lizzie with him quickly, both of them quietly laughing like children as they ran to hide behind the buckboard parked nearby.

Lizzie crouched down and looked out between the spokes of the wheel, giving Derek a broad smile as she watched for her brother’s. She wasn’t disappointed because they came through the door, and stood looking in all directions. She clasped her hand over her mouth so she wouldn’t laugh. She felt like a kid again playing hide and seek as she watched her brothers quickly say something to each other and split up, each going a separate direction. “I think we better find a better hiding place, they might circle around and look here.”

“I was always good at hide and seek. Come on.” Derek stood, pulling Lizzie up with him and they grinned as they crept away from the wagon and hurriedly ran to a small alley between the buildings behind them. “We will walk down here and circle around for my horse.” Derek whispered. When they reached the end of the alley he peeked his head out and looked both ways and Lizzie smothered a laugh.

Derek grinned as they walked down the side street hand and hand. “I have to say this is the most unusual dance I have ever attended.”

“Thanks so much, for making this day special. I can’t thank you enough. You have gone to a lot of trouble for me. I want you to know I appreciate it.”

“Shhh—someone is coming.” Derek paused as he heard something and pulled Lizzie into the shadows of a house behind a rain barrel. He wrapped his arms around her, holding her close to him as he leaned against the wall. “You don’t have to thank me. You probably will hate me tomorrow when you face the wrath of your family.”

“I could never hate you.” Lizzie whispered seriously. “You have opened my eyes to so much.”

“You’ve opened mine to a few things as well.” Derek said looking down at her, feeling her warmth pressed against him was far too much of a temptation. His brought his hand up and allowed his finger to trace the line of her cheek. Her eyes softened and he lowered his head slightly to meet hers, almost without a will of his own. Their lips met and he gently explored the sweet taste of them, momentarily forgetting everything but the feel of her lips on his.

Lizzie arms wrapped around Derek’s neck pulling him closer, feeling the strange feelings bombard her as soon as his lips had touched hers. She wanted him to kiss her, because when he did, all the feelings of being alone disappeared, replaced by the wondrous emotions he invoked in her. She reveled in the feeling of his arms encircling her and pulling her close. She opened her mouth to his and their kiss deepened. She felt a heavy feeling in her abdomen as he pressed her body closer to his own and felt electric tingles shoot through to her breasts as the heat of his chest burned through the thin material of her gown. His lips left hers and trailed over to her ear, gripping the lobe in his teeth and she gasped and shuddered as the incredible feelings shot through her body.

Derek felt her instant reaction and felt the force of his passion double. His lips found hers again and she met his kiss fervently, her arms tightening around his neck as she leaned into him. He completely forgot his surroundings as he kissed this incredible woman. He had never experienced such uninhibited passion in a woman, and her eager responses heightened his to a dangerous level. He realized he was quickly descending down a path he would find hard to stop. Once more he pulled his lips from hers trailing across her cheek to her ear and pulling the lobe gently in his teeth. Derek found he couldn’t stop exploring the available skin down her neck as she sighed softly at each caress, and each soft sound from her throat urged him to continue.

Lizzie felt as if her world were spinning as Derek continued to play havoc with her senses. She hoped he wouldn’t stop as she felt his warm lips upon her skin, each touch made incredible feelings shoot straight through her limbs and built a sense of anticipation. His lips and teeth bit the nape of her neck and she thought she might faint as a white hot feeling shot straight to her core. Derek’s lips found hers again and she felt his mouth cover her own in a fierce possession, and she found herself returning his fever equally. He growled deep in his throat and she felt an electric pulse at her center in response to the sound.

With great effort Derek forced himself to pull away from the woman who he thought was tempting him to sell his soul. They stood for a moment staring at one another breathing heavily. Although their was little light from the half moon, Derek could see her eyes were slightly hooded with passion and her body remained pressed tightly to his and he could feel his body throbbing with the urge to complete what they started. “Sweet Elizabeth. You tempt me too much.”

Lizzie didn’t want to stop. She wanted to keep exploring the riotous emotions he caused within her. Before she had a chance to say a word, they both heard voices in the street.

“I didn’t find either of them.” Lizzie heard Morgan state gravely.

“I checked everywhere, his horse is still here, and people saw them walk out together a short time ago.” James concluded.

“I knew it. I have had enough of that girl throwing herself at that man. This time she is stealing off with him right under my roof, and I refuse to be hoodwinked again.” Morgan replied darkly.

Lizzie would have confronted Morgan if Derek hadn’t placed his hand over her mouth and pulled her back to him. He shook his head and pointed between them and Lizzie immediately understood if they were discovered together in such a location it would only make Morgan believe more firmly something was going on between them.

“I am going to fix this situation once and for all.” Morgan stated walking back the direction of the town hall.

James frowned, wondering exactly what his stepfather was up to. “What are you going to do?” Morgan didn’t stop walking and he started to worry. He couldn’t believe Lizzie had simply taken off tonight without a word to anyone. Lizzie just wasn’t like that. Perhaps Morgan was right in saying something was going on between her and their guest, but still—his sister was an honorable woman. She wouldn’t throw herself at a man like Karen had claimed. He hurried after his father in law, who still hadn’t said a thing in response to his question and hoped Lizzie would have a good explanation for all this.

Derek looked carefully around the corner. “They are gone, we should get back to my horse and get you home before they get half the town looking for us.”

“Am I throwing myself at you?” Lizzie asked, suddenly worried about how Derek perceived what was going on between them.

Derek considered her question. She had made no move to pull out of his arms, and he felt ashamed and he set her away from him slightly, retaining her hands. “No, if anything, it is I that is taking an unfair advantage of you.” He rubbed the back of his knuckles down her cheek. “You just happen to tempt me beyond my good sense. I think Morgan is upset because tonight I made it clear I preferred your company over his precious daughter’s.”

“Why, me? I have never had anyone show ‘interest’ in me before. I want to know what you found so interesting. Maybe I can repeat whatever I have done to find a husband. Or do you find an ‘interest’ in every town you go to, and I was just the selection of the week?”

He didn’t like the way she made him sound so callous, as if he was actively pursuing innocent virgins everywhere he went. Derek realized it also bothered him a little to think of Lizzie kissing anyone else. He wasn’t sure why he was so drawn to this girl, but there was just something about her he found hard to resist. “I wouldn’t say I actively seek female ‘interests’ as you have labeled them, everywhere I go.” His hand drifted over her cheek and the tips of his fingers down the side of her neck and he smiled as she trembled under his hand. “As to why you captured my attention? I think it is because I have never met anyone like you.”
Her eyes locked with his and he drew his fingers slowly back up to her chin. “The only way I can think to explain it, would be if you notice a flower you’ve never seen before, and you are compelled to examine it closer to see why it is different while you admire its rare beauty.” He leaned forward and gently brushed her lips with his. He ended the brief kiss before he could get pulled astray once again by her sweet surrender. “I want be the first to wish you a Happy Birthday, even though it may be too late.”

Lizzie tried to regain her composure. She had been totally surprised by the gentle sweetness of his last kiss. A kiss, although gentle, had been full of the promise of something more. “Thank you.” She could hear a slight tremor in her voice.

“I think it would be best if we moved to a more public location. I am positive it is not a good idea to be alone with you.”

Something in the way he was looking at her made butterflies erupt inside her stomach and she nodded. She had called him arrogant, but instead she was beginning to see him as simply confident. Derek was confident in every move he made and she realized his confidence definitely extended to his effect on the opposite sex. She smoothed her hair. “We could go home, and have some cake.”

Derek placed her arm through his and began to walk toward where he had left his horse. “I like that suggestion, just don’t shove any in my face.” She giggled and he didn’t think Lizzie would ever realize how much willpower it took for him to ride back that night acting like nothing else had happened between him. When he had kissed her, something inside him had shifted. He restrained himself from the impulse to simply ride off to somewhere quiet and make passionate love to her. He knew some men would not have walked away from the innocent invitation in her kiss, but he would not take her innocence from her. He had already troubled her enough and he found the notion of leaving tomorrow as he had planned was difficult enough.

He was surprised when he realized it would be difficult to walk away and leave her behind. He frowned slightly. He had never had this particular dilemma in his life. He had never met a woman he had wished to spend more than a couple days with, even if they were warming his bed. He decided it was best not to think about it too much. Tomorrow, he had to be on his way. He needed to get away from this golden haired temptress who was slowly inserting herself into his every thought.


“There you are! Don’t move a muscle.” Morgan burst through the kitchen door and leveled a rifle at Derek as he raised his last bite of Lizzie’s birthday cake to his mouth. He put his fork down slowly meeting the man’s eyes in front of him, which were more than a bit wild.

“Morgan, what are you doing?” Lizzie stood from the table and he quickly swiveled his gun at her and she gasped. Derek moved swiftly and put himself between Lizzie and her stepfather.

“What is the meaning of this?” Derek asked in a low, quiet voice, but he had a sinking feeling in his stomach as to the man’s plans.

“I have had enough of the indecency going on right under my roof. You thought I wouldn’t figure out how the two of you were continuing to sneak off together? That I wouldn’t figure out exactly what you were up to? I will not have that Jezebel under my roof. You are going to be held accountable for your sinful actions.”

Lizzie was frightened, she had never seen Morgan act like this. He continued into the room through the door and Lizzie saw the priest was following directly behind him. She felt a knot form in her throat.

“There is nothing going on between Elizabeth and me. I have acted in every way like a gentlemen. I would never take advantage of an innocent woman.” Derek stated firmly, feeling a slight twinge of guilt. However, he staunchly refused to believe a couple of stolen kisses were to be considered indecent behavior.

“Liar! I know you have been sneaking off together, and I won’t put up with it. Karen has seen you and tonight more than half the town of Bonne Terre saw the two of you together. I will not have my daughter in a house with a harlot who is chasing after a man like a bitch in heat.”

Lizzie saw red and she stepped out from behind Derek. “I cannot believe you would say or think such a thing. I am a moral woman! We have done nothing wrong and nothing to be ashamed of! We went to a dance that was more than well chaperoned and now we are sitting here eating cake for goodness sake.”

Derek saw the gun was cocked and ready. He gripped Lizzie’s arms and pulled her back to him before she could put herself in a more dangerous position. James and Michael ran into the kitchen from the back door, and Morgan’s attention was temporarily distracted.

“You two—stay back. I am holding these two accountable for their actions. There will be no sinful behavior in my house. Father Murry, these are the two that I told you about. You need to marry them at once.”

“Now Morgan, I am not convinced you are justified in your suspicions. I will not be a party to a shotgun wedding. I merely agreed to talk with Elizabeth, and make sure she understood the sanctity of love and marriage,” Reverend Murry stuttered, putting his hands up and trying to back up out of the room.

Morgan grabbed the smaller man by his coat and pulled him further into the room. “I said we need to make an honest woman out of her, and that is exactly what we are going to do.”

“NO!” Lizzie and Derek objected simultaneously and then looked at each other in surprise.

“I will not get married like this.” Lizzie told the priest, drawing herself up to her full height.

“Fine, then I will just shoot him.”

“If you shoot anyone you will go to prison. There are three witnesses in this room,” Derek said calmly.

“Morgan, I don’t think anything is going on between them,” James protested, wondering how this had gotten out of hand. “We should give Lizzie a chance to explain, and not jump to conclusions.”

“Then you are a fool!” He turned his attention back to Derek. “I won’t stand to have the wool pulled over my eyes. Her mother might have been able to do it, but she won’t! You can either take your vows or die.”

Lizzie had never seen Morgan so enraged. What did he mean about her mother? She couldn’t believe any of this was happening.

“I will not see my sister forced into marriage. I agree with James, there is no wrong doing to be rectified here.” Michael stepped forward and started towards Morgan. “Now you give me that gun and quit this nonsense.”

A shot rang out and Lizzie screamed as she saw Michael’s eyes go wide in disbelief and he fell to the floor. She ran over to him, staring in horror at the blood seeping through his shirt at his shoulder. Tears blurred her vision she quickly took the towel she was holding and tried to stifle the flow of blood. She heard the rifle cock again and she looked up in alarm.

“Step away from him, if you would like him to live. Now, you have a choice. You agree to marry this man, or I will make sure the next shot is not just a flesh wound.”

“How could you do this to him? He needs a doctor!”

“You want a doctor? Then you will do as I say.”

“I hate you Morgan McAllister! You will rot in hell for this!”

“I am saving you from going to hell!”

Derek could see both of them getting more agitated, and he stepped forward drawing Morgan’s immediate attention.

“Can I speak with Lizzie for a moment?”

“Why?” Morgan asked suspiciously.

“Can I not say a few words to the woman you want me to accept as my wife?” He stepped carefully over to Lizzie and took her by the elbow, keeping his eyes on Morgan the whole time. He pulled her up gently and started walking backwards towards the sink.

Morgan shrugged. “Don’t try anything funny, or I will shoot you where you stand.”
Derek turned his back to Morgan, feeling his hair stand up on the back of his neck disliking being in such a vulnerable position. He put his hands on Lizzie’s shoulders and leaned his head close to hers. “Lizzie, let’s do as he asks.”

Lizzie’s eyes widened and she shook her head vehmently. “Never! I will not be married at the end of a rifle barrel. He has no right!”

Derek knew Morgan could hear her and he hushed her with his eyes. “Believe me when I tell you this is not how I pictured my wedding either. Listen, we can have the marriage annulled in Saint Louis. We get married to appease him, and to keep your brother’s safe and from further harm. We will leave this place and get an annulment once we arrive in the city. The courts will not legitimize a marriage that has been forced and not consummated. I don’t want to see anything else happen. I don’t think he is bluffing. If we get married, we can leave, and send a doctor out here.”

Lizzie’s eyes dropped to Michael’s. Her brother’s eyes were closed, his jaw clenched in pain, as James wrapped the towel tightly around the wound. Tears filled her eyes and her gaze returned to Derek’s. She gave a single nod.
Derek brushed the tear off her cheek and turned to face Morgan. “We will take our vows.”

Morgan was surprised by their sudden consent. “Fine, marry them,” he snapped.
The priest stepped forward nervously. Morgan waved the gun at him and he began to recite the vows. Derek and Lizzie said their vows solemnly and Derek even removed his ring and gave it to her, although it was far too big for her finger. When their vows had been said, Morgan nodded in satisfaction.

“I am glad you did the right thing. Now, I will present you with my wedding gift.” He held up the deed to the farm. He signed it and presented it to James. “I am happy to give you back this godforsaken farm.” James took it from his hand in disbelief looking up at Lizzie in hope. “However,” he pulled another official looking document from his pocket. “If Elizabeth does not stay married for one year, the contract between us is considered null and void, this property will once again be mine, and your brothers will not have a home.” He looked directly at Elizabeth and received a grim satisfaction at the way her face changed from angry defiance to disbelief.

“I will kill you for this, Morgan,” James ground out. “You mark my words, your days are numbered.”

Morgan smiled eerily. “Glad you brought that up, James. Should I die from unnatural causes, the land goes to Karen. So, it would benefit you to make sure nothing happens to me.”

Lizzie felt her last hope die, and her heart shatter. Derek met her eyes and she knew he was thinking the same thing. They were now married against their will for an entire year. Her eyes shifted to her brothers, and she saw the sad and worried look in their gaze. She realized she was faced with a decision. She either chose her home, or her dreams of finding love. She felt dead inside. Derek had said he had no wish to be forced into a loveless marriage and that is exactly what had happened. Her shoulders sagged in defeat.

“Lizzie, we need to go for a doctor.” Derek took her elbow. He hated to see the pure misery reflected in her gaze.

Lizzie turned from him and dropped to her knees and kissed Michael’s cheek. “I love you,” she whispered softly. She saw a tear in his eye and she placed her hand against the side of his face. She stood, hugged James and kissed his cheek as well, turned, and walked out the door into the night.

She headed for the barn and was at the door before she realized she had not even picked up a shawl to ward off the night chill. She looked back at her house and she couldn’t see clearly for the tears in her eyes. She went to get the buggy mare, as she was the calmest of the three horses they owned. Lizzie placed her hand on her halter when another large one came down on her own. She looked up and saw Derek. She could hardly believe she was truly married to this man.

“Let me. The priest is going to retrieve the doctor.” He told her, hoping to alleviate some of her fears. “Do you want the buggy?”

“It isn’t mine, Morgan bought it.” She replied in a dead tone.

“Then we will leave the horse too, I bought mine from him earlier this week. We will buy a carriage in town and head for Saint Louis tomorrow.”

Lizzie nodded and Derek went to saddle and bridle his horse, for the second time that evening. He led him out of the stall and came to stand beside her. He held his hand out to her and hand in hand they walked out of the barn.

“Lizzie! Wait!” James called from the front door and came hurrying down the porch steps with two bags. One she recognized as Derek’s and one was a small carpet bag of her mother’s. “I thought you would need at least some of your things.” He stood in indecision. “Lizzie, you don’t have to do this. We can find another place, another farm.”

“No, James. We worked too hard and put too much into this place. Our mother and father worked their entire lives to give it to us…not to him!” She gestured angrily at the house. “You stay here and take care of Michael and the farm.”

“Where are you going? Are you coming back?” James asked desperately.

“Derek and I are going to Saint Louis—we thought we would get an annulment—but now we can’t,” she said hopelessly. “I don’t know what to do. I will write.”

Her voice sounded strange and lifeless. James nodded and gave his sister a hug, holding her tight. He knew he would miss her dearly. Lizzie had always been the stable influence in his life for as long as he could remember and now she would be gone. He stepped back and stared at her. “It’s your birthday today, isn’t it?”

Lizzie gave him a sad smile. “Yes, it was.”

“You were upset because we didn’t remember, that is why you left the house and went with Derek to the dance.” James felt guilt lance through him. How could he have forgotten?

“It doesn’t matter now, James. I love you. You better go stay with Michael.”

James watched as Derek lifted his sister up into the saddle.

“You will take good care of her?” James gripped Derek’s arm, his voice thick with unshed tears.

“I will treat her like a queen.” Derek promised gravely and held out his hand to James. They shook hands and he mounted behind Lizzie and turned his mount towards town.

Lizzie turned slightly to look back at her home and saw her brother standing morosely on the porch. She wondered when she would see either of them again. She allowed her tears to fall unheeded as she turned to face forward once more, wondering if Derek would hold true to his promise to her brother. Neither of them spoke, each remaining quiet the mile into town, each encased in their own thoughts.

Derek brought his mount to a halt outside the small hotel in Bonne Terre. He dismounted, helped Lizzie down, and tied his horse to the rail. He turned to Lizzie whose eyes were red and swollen from crying. “I promise you we will get this sorted out. I am positive that our marriage is far from legal, as is his ridiculous contract. When we get to Saint Louis, I will hire the best attorney I can find.”

“I feel terrible about all this. It is my fault you were roped into this. If I hadn’t been so upset, and you hadn’t offered to take me into town—” Lizzie couldn’t complete her sentence because Derek put a finger to her lips.

“Don’t. This was not something Morgan cooked up in an hour or even a couple days. He had that document drawn up long ago. It was only a matter of time before he was going to find some way to hold that farm over your head. I don’t know what his motive was right now, but I plan to find out. Until then, let’s get a room for the night and tackle this problem tomorrow. Promise?”

Lizzie was amazed at his extremely calm and rational approach. “Promise.”

“That’s my girl.” He kissed her forehead quickly and went to unhook the bags from the saddle.

His girl? She found it strange to hear those words from his lips. Lizzie followed behind him as he entered the hotel and sat on a chair by the door, preferring to let Derek deal with the innkeeper’s curious looks.
Derek quickly procured two rooms, and in less than five minutes Lizzie was escorted to one of them. Derek checked the room over as he took her bag inside for her.

“Small, but I suppose it is clean enough.” He set the bag down on the bed and moved to the window. “They will be bringing you a tub and hot water for a bath very shortly. They will also bring up a small tray with a late dinner, since you missed yours. I took the liberty of sending a message to the doctor’s residence to keep us apprised of Michael’s condition and let him know to send me the bill. My room is across the hall, if you need me. Can you think of anything else you might require?” Derek turned from pulling the curtains shut to face her, and noticed Lizzie staring at him in astonishment. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No, I am just surprised you arranged everything so quickly. Thank you.”

Derek walked over to her and placed his hand on her shoulder. “You have no need to thank me anymore, at least not while you are Mrs. Derek Cargill, even if it is temporary. I will see you are taken care of, so you can lay your fears to rest.” He hoisted his bag off the floor where he had placed it upon entry and walked to the door. “If you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask. I will see you in the morning. Goodnight…Lizzie.”

“Good night.” She said softly and shut the door behind him. She stared at the closed door and decided perhaps a temporary marriage to Derek Cargill was not necessarily the end of the world.


Lizzie woke the next morning and opened her eyes, confused when she didn’t see the brown curtains and plain walls of her room. She instantly recalled the events of the previous night and shot out of bed. She put on her wrapper, prepared to go ask Derek if he had heard from the doctor. She stood for a moment in indecision, before deciding to get dressed. She quickly shed her night rail, and put on her dress from the night before. She didn’t bother to do anything to her hair besides run a brush through it. She hurried to her door and flung it open, surprised when she saw a stunned Derek standing before her with one hand raised in preparation to knock, and the other holding a large covered tray.

“Ah, so you are up.” Derek smiled at the lovely picture she presented with her cheeks flushed and her hair still down.

“Have you heard from the doctor?” Lizzie opened the door wider to allow him to enter and set the tray down on the small table.

“I have, and Michael is doing fine. The doctor says he will have a sore shoulder for a week or two, but no damage to the bone or anything complicated. He stitched him up and gave him a sling. He seems very competent.”

Lizzie heaved a big sigh of relief. “He is, and thank goodness Michael is alright. I had a hard time falling asleep last night, because I kept worrying.”

“By the time I received his message it was quite late and I didn’t want to disturb you.”

“I am just glad he is going to recover.”

“Now, perhaps you would like some breakfast?” He motioned to the tray “I thought once you heard the good news you might decide you were hungry.”

“I am. Although, it will be strange to eat a breakfast I didn’t prepare.”

“Well, get used to it, for a short while at least. I don’t think many hotels appreciate their guests helping in their kitchen.” He grinned and held out a chair for her as she sat down. “Most the time their cooking won’t be near as good as yours either.” He pulled the lid off and handed her a plate of eggs, toast, and sausage. He sat down at the chair across from her.

“We could have eaten in the common room. You didn’t have to go to the trouble to bring a tray up.”

Derek shrugged as he dished out food for both of them. “The common room is busy, hot, and crowded. I figured we would both be more comfortable up here. I also thought you may want to avoid the looks I am sure we would receive. Once we finish breakfast, I have a horse and carriage ready waiting to transport us to Saint Louis.” He explained as he took a bite from his plate.

“You’ve already arranged for a carriage at this hour in the morning? Where did you acquire it? Morgan is probably just now opening the livery.”

“I wasn’t about to give Morgan the money for something like that. I bought it from the good doctor. He was very sympathetic to our plight. I am sure that Morgan is going to have a bit of a hard time once the word gets out about what he has done.”
Lizzie smiled broadly. “And I take it you made sure word was going to get out?”
Derek looked up from his plate and grinned, “Of course.”

“You know, I think we are going to get along just fine, at least until we get this mess resolved.”

“I was thinking the very same thing.” He gave her a wink and they both concentrated on enjoying their breakfast.

Derek carried their things down to the carriage and set them inside. He helped Lizzie climb up to the seat and climbed in beside her, noticing she didn’t have a hat, a shawl, or a parasol. He had taken the opportunity to glance in her bag and saw she really didn’t have much of anything. James had packed only her night clothes, one of her awful work dresses and a brush. He knew getting her properly outfitted would need to be the next item on his list of priorities, but he was not about to do it here in Bonne Terre. He would most likely have to wait until they reached Saint Louis. He urged the horses forward and headed out of town. He noticed Lizzie wringing her hands together as she sat stiff backed against the seat. “Nervous?”

“A little. I have never been out of Bonne Terre.” Lizzie continued to stare straight ahead.

“Don’t worry. Think of this experience as an adventure. I plan on showing you things you could never imagine in your wildest dreams. Why waste an opportunity? Just relax and leave all the worrying to me.”

She looked over at the man beside her, who was looking very relaxed behind the reins of the team of horses, and she had to admit, he was incredibly handsome. She still could barely believe he was actually her husband, even if it was only temporary. She wondered how different things might have been if she were leaving Bonne Terre willingly with him, instead of being forced by their circumstances. “You don’t appear to worry about anything.”

He glanced over at her and shrugged slightly. “What’s the point in worrying? It still won’t change anything. You can worry yourself to death and in the end, whatever is going to happen is going to happen.”

Lizzie thought on his words for a moment. “You do have a point. Although, you make it sound easy to forget all the problems and complications in life.”

“You don’t forget about them, you just turn them around and make something positive.”

“So, how do you exactly turn what happened to us last night into something positive?” Lizzie asked in disbelief.

“Well, let’s see. Personally, I will enjoy having company for my trip back to St. Louis—it is always more enjoyable to travel with good company. I also don’t have to ride on that blasted stage. You will get to experience life away from Bonne Terre, see some more of the world, and do things you never thought you might do.”

“So, I am just to ignore the fact Morgan roped us into marriage, is holding my family’s farm over our heads, and my brother was shot in the process?”

“No, I am not saying you should ignore it. However, there is nothing more you can do about it currently. Besides, there is more to what happened last night than meets the eye.”

“What do you mean?”

“I am wondering why Morgan had the deed so readily available. Obviously the mortgage no longer exists, yet you mentioned to me you were still making payments to him for it.”

Lizzie sat up even straighter. “You are right. That snake!”

“But, you must also remember that because of our forced arrangement, the contract between your brothers and Morgan is null and void. You and your brothers are able to reclaim your home and at least have the opportunity to put the money you earn into your farm. James and Michael will have to work at the mine only long enough to gather enough capital to see them through to your first crop.”

“But I do have money! The money my mother left me—it is still in Morgan’s name. It would be more than enough to buy seeds and equipment.”

Derek gave her a sad look. “I am fairly positive any money you might have had is gone. Who knows what he might have used it for? Even if he didn’t use it, you are going to have a difficult time proving it was yours in the first place.”
Lizzie sagged slightly. She knew he was probably correct in his assumption. Gone? She couldn’t believe it. It was more money than she ever had in her life and now she had nothing.

“But don’t despair. I sent a note to James and Michael offering the capital they need to start. It will be up to them to accept.”

His words brought Lizzie’s head up with a start, and she stared at Derek in disbelief. “You did? Why on earth would you do such a thing?”

Derek wasn’t sure if he should tell her it was because he wanted to help her. She probably wouldn’t appreciate it. He had done a lot of thinking after he had left her last night, and he felt in partially responsible for the situation. Although he had not taken his actions to the level Morgan assumed, he did take unfair advantage of an innocent woman. He wasn’t happy with the situation, but part of him didn’t mind the fact he was riding out of Bonne Terre with Elizabeth versus without her. “It is a good investment and the least I could do under the circumstances.”

“I have never in my life met anyone like you. I can’t believe you are handling all this so calmly and to top it off, you are offering my family your help. If it wasn’t for me you wouldn’t be in this situation in the first place. I don’t understand how you aren’t completely livid with anger.”

Derek glanced at her with a serious expression. “Don’t think I am not planning on taking Morgan down over this. He has to be mad if he thinks he will get away with it. He won’t, but I am not going to be upset with you or your family. I decided very quickly I prefer to handle Morgan in a way which was not going to get anyone else shot. However, he will lose everything from his reputation to his livery before I am satisfied.”

Lizzie nodded grimly. “And he will deserve whatever happens.”

“You read my mind. Now, say goodbye to Bonne Terre for a short while. We are moving on to bigger and better things.”


Chapter 8


Lizzie had no idea how much bigger Derek meant until she laid eyes on Saint Louis. The first day of travel was fairly uneventful other than Lizzie’s first ferry ride, which was more than a little nerve wracking. They had stayed at a small roadside hostel and had awoke early because Derek wished for them to arrive in the city before the sun set. Derek didn’t give her much of a clue of what the city would be like despite her countless questions. Yet, even if he had told her how large the city was, she could not have imagined it.

They approached the city from the south west and at first not much seemed very different to her. But soon small farms turned into very large ones, and before too long, farms became massive estates. She gawked openly at the few of the enormous Victorian homes she could see from the road they traveled. Derek seemed to enjoy her amazement and made certain to point out the next place of interest as they traveled.

When they reached the outskirts of the city, it was obvious this place was like none she had ever known. She was stunned when she watched a steam train roll in front of them down the tracks towards some distant destination. The size, noise, and the smoke of the iron beast was impressive enough, but she was more amazed as car after car of people would pass by at a speed which was faster than a galloping horse.

Derek turned the horse and carriage onto an obviously well traveled road, and Lizzie’s eyes could not keep up with all the activity surrounding her. There were wagons galore carrying goods to and from the city, elegantly attired men on horseback, people walking the streets, and buildings which had to be seen to be believed. They passed a massive church whose steeple seemed to scrape heaven itself, and Lizzie nearly hung out the carriage to continue to look at the awe inspiring sight.

Everywhere she looked there were people building some new structure. It was obvious the city was thriving and growing. Derek would occasionally tell her about certain locations he knew something about, but she hardly heard a word as they continued down the street and she saw her first horse drawn cable car. She watched as they passed more shops and businesses than she could count, and everywhere she looked there were people.

They pulled up in front of the six story Lindell Hotel and Lizzie felt her heart drop to the bottom of her stomach at the sheer immensity and grandeur of this obviously very fine hotel.

“This is where we will be staying. What do you think?” Derek inquired smiling. He had watched her myriad of expressions as they traveled through town and had no doubt from the look on her face she found the hotel impressive.

Lizzie couldn’t even form a reply when Derek asked her what her impressions were. For the first time in her life, she was speechless. She was no little intimidated by the thought of entering this hotel dressed as she was. Her attire was obviously a poor country imitation of some of the elegant and much more stylish gowns she had seen. Many of the women they had passed would have made Karen’s attire look simplistic.

She shook her head and looked at him with a worried expression. “You really don’t expect me to believe we are staying here?”

“Of course we are. It is one of the finest hotels in the city. Why wouldn’t we stay here?”

“I was hoping for something a little less—grand. I will stand out like a dark feathered hen in this place.” Lizzie smoothed her hair. She must look frightful.
Derek laughed at her bewildered expression. “No, you will be fine. He caught her hand and urged her to climb down with him.

Lizzie froze in her seat, resisting Derek’s urge to follow him and she removed her hand from his as she scooted to the far side of the carriage. She suddenly was very aware she had no hat, no gloves, and no shawl and wondered how she would be perceived. Although she wondered how anyone might remember one person in such a mass of people.

Derek walked around the carriage to the other side and took Lizzie’s hands in his once more. He noticed her attention still rested with the people that flowed in and out of the hotel. “Elizabeth, it’s late and we’ve been traveling for two days. Inside awaits a soft bed, a hot bath, and a warm meal, in whatever order you wish it. Don’t worry about how grand this place is or how you look. I promised I would take care of you. Remember?” He brought her hand to his lips and kissed the back of it.
The tone of his voice and the feel of his lips on her skin made Lizzie’s full attention switch from the door and rest completely on Derek. She felt a tingle float down her spine as her eyes met his attentive green ones. She felt a gentle pull on her hand and she stood allowing him to assist her from the carriage. She felt even more nervous as her feet touched the firm pavement beneath her feet. “Perhaps there is a servant’s entrance. I would hate to cause you any embarrassment.” She stammered, not sure what made her more nervous, this place or the man standing so close to her.

“You are not, nor ever will be, an embarrassment to me. You must trust me. I will make sure your every comfort and need is seen to and all you must do is simply enjoy the experience.”

Lizzie found both comfort and strength in his words. She took a deep breath to help calm her nerves. “I will try.”

“That is my girl.” He kissed her hand again and smiled

Lizzie felt her heart skip a beat and suddenly she was much more concerned about dealing with the emotions Derek seemed to cause when he was in such close proximity, versus being worried about what someone might think of her.

“We will be ensconced in our room in short order, as I left directions to have it ready for me on my return. Even though I am a couple days earlier than I originally planned, we should still be in fine shape.” He explained, as he tucked her arm in his and led her into the building.

Lizzie barely heard him as she walked beneath the huge columns holding up the covered entrance to the hotel. She noticed the well dressed doorman quickly move and open the door for them with a smile. She swallowed with difficulty as she entered the receiving area and observed the fine furnishings and elaborate gilded ceilings. She felt as if she had been transported into a fairy tale world.
She noticed several women staring disdainfully at her. The gowns they wore were beautiful creations of bold colored silks of yellow, green and red. The small bustle in the back gave way to large pleated skirts and she could see the tips of their brightly colored shoes which were died to match. She knew she was probably more poorly attired than their servants, and she flushed in embarrassment.

True to his word, Derek was escorting her further into the luxurious hotel in mere minutes. She was happy to leave the staring eyes of those people in the main receiving room for the less crowded inner corridors of the hotel. She had never seen so many rooms in one place. A man escorted them to their room, carrying their small amount of luggage, and opened the door for them. Lizzie walked inside and she stared at the fine decor and huge windows of the suite before her.

Her eyes roved over the entry room which contained a cream colored damask chaise lounge with a button back and a matching settee. Through the doors she saw a large canopy bed draped in deep burgundy velvet. She could feel the richness of the heavy carpet beneath her feet and she drifted further into the room as Derek tipped their escort. She felt a bit overwhelmed in the opulent surroundings. She couldn’t imagine sleeping in such a large bed. Lizzie suddenly realized Derek had only arranged for one room and she turned and looked at Derek as he entered the bedroom behind her. “Do you think it is seemly for us to share a room?”

Derek shrugged. “I think it is probably better for you to be seen as my wife, no matter what our opinion is of the arrangement, than as a single woman who is unescorted and in my exclusive company. It would be difficult to explain if we were truly married why we insist on two rooms and I doubt there is another available at this hour at any rate.” He took off his jacket. “You have nothing to fear. I can sleep on the chaise.”

“That hardly seems fair.” Lizzie walked over to the big bed. It looked so soft and inviting, even if it was large enough to hold three people. She had not slept well the last two nights and she suddenly felt exhausted, even though it was still well over an hour until dinner.

“It is only for a couple of days. I have slept on worse.” Derek wasn’t looking forward to the arrangement, but he would survive. He studied Lizzie as she wandered around the room studying everything from the curtains to the large wardrobe and finally she stopped by his trunk.

“Is this yours?” She looked up in surprise.

“Yes, I left it here while I traveled.”

“You paid for this room even though you were not here?”

“Yes and no. I paid for my trunk to be secured in the hotel safe and left instructions for it to be placed in a suite once one became available. I wanted to be sure I had a comfortable room when I returned. This hotel is very popular, these larger rooms go quickly. I was not lucky enough to rent one on my layover here from Chicago.”
Lizzie shook her head slightly. “Didn’t that cost a great deal of money?” She couldn’t imagine doing such a thing.

Derek went to the chest and pulled out a key and unlocked it. He opened the lid and pulled out a smaller box that was also locked. “Sometimes one decides comfort is worth the cost. Besides, I did not have to pay for a hotel in Bonne Terre, since you graciously put me up.”

“Yes, and we see how that worked out. You probably wish you had stayed at a hotel at this point. Then you might not have been put in this situation.”

“Wishes are about as effective as worrying, to wish for something else to have happened at this point is fruitless.”

“Well, I for one wish none of this had ever occurred. I wouldn’t be stuck here in a room, with a man I hardly know, with only a dress and a nightgown to my name. I wouldn’t be separated from my family and have no idea what my future holds.” Lizzie sighed deeply, looking out of the window before her. She fought the tears that had come to her eyes, feeling no little overwhelmed. It occurred to her she was married to this man, a man she knew virtually nothing about. And, if this were the type of surroundings he felt comfortable with, they were more different than she had first realized. Derek had been exceedingly polite, courteous, and kind, but when she entered this room she had realized that she knew nothing about him, his life, or anything she should know about a true husband.

“I am not about to toss you into the street,” Derek assured her. He opened the smaller box and took out several bills and tucked them in his jacket while Lizzie looked out at the street below. He shut the box and the trunk up again.

“But I am not your responsibility. You could leave me here and what would I do? I have no transportation back home—I have no home.” She knew she couldn’t return to Bonne Terre. She couldn’t face the people there when they found out the rumors of what happened and she definitely couldn’t live in the same place as Morgan.

“Damn it, Elizabeth, what kind of man do you take me for? One who would leave his wife out on the street, homeless and penniless? I promised I would care for you and I will.” He gripped her shoulders and turned her to face him. He felt his heart constrict when he saw the tears on her cheeks.

“But I’m not your wife—not truly. What happens if we can’t annul this marriage? What will you do if you and I are stuck in this farce?” She allowed the fears she had been suppressing the last two days to surface. “You said yourself you had no wish to live in a loveless marriage. We are two individuals bound into a marriage, not because we loved each other, but because we were forced.” She turned her head away from him. “When I married I wanted it to be for love—and because the man I had chosen loved me in return. I will be married and divorced in less than a week, I will be seen as used and discarded goods. I already had little chance to find a husband I could care for, now I have no chance.”

Derek noticed the slump to her shoulders, and he felt a nameless emotion sear through him at the hurt and hopeless expression on her face. He wanted to pull her into his embrace and console her, and assure her everything would be alright. “Elizabeth—you are tired. You are also far away from home for the first time in your life and under very trying circumstances. Will you do me one favor?” He took her chin in his hand and turned her face to meet his eyes. He noticed how she worried her lower lip slightly with her teeth and his attention focused suddenly on those tempting lips in front of his own. He remembered far too clearly how they felt against his, how she so readily responded. It would be so easy to make their marriage a real one in every sense of the word, and he found he was surprised at how tempted he was to do just that.

She looked at him in question at his continued silence, and he mentally shook himself out of the downward spiral of his thoughts. “Let your worries rest tonight. You need rest and you need time to recover all you have been put through the last couple days, and time to adjust.” He moved his hand from her chin, the temptation to allow it to trail down the soft skin of her neck was strong enough to make his hand tremble slightly. “I took the liberty to order up a bath for you. I have a few things to attend to, so you can have some privacy and I will be back to join you for dinner. We can talk more of this then.” He wished he could say something more to alleviate her fears, but he decided it was best to just give her some time to herself. He felt he suddenly needed some time to himself as well, if his physical reaction to her nearness was any indication.

Lizzie nodded her agreement. “You are right, it has been a rather harrowing couple of days.” She couldn’t fault Derek in this. He had been so kind and patient with her. She found she was highly tempted to launch herself into his arms and absorb the comfort his voice promised he would give. But, she did not want to burden him anymore than he had been already.

Derek found it hard to turn away from her soft eyes. She had quickly composed herself and was looking at him in a way that made it difficult for him to turn and walk out of the room, but he forced himself to move away from her. He needed to get out of the room and away from Elizabeth, whose presence seemed to turn his thoughts upside down.

He left the hotel and took a deep breath once he hit the city street. He started walking briskly, hoping to clear his head and cool the passion which had instantly flared to life the moment he was close to his bride. He thought about Lizzie’s question about what he would do should he not be able to get their marriage annulled. He was surprised to find the possibility really didn’t bother him at all.
He wasn’t certain what he hoped to accomplish with the woman who was now technically his wife in the eyes of the law. He found himself disturbed he wasn’t too upset over the matter, and was further disturbed she was.

And why shouldn’t she be? He asked himself. She was looking for love, just as he was, and she had all her hopes and dreams torn from her. He professed to be looking for love in his life, so why didn’t find himself overly upset with the situation?
Maybe it was due to the fact that Lizzie was like no other woman he had ever encountered.

She had many of the qualities he had always desired in a woman. She was kind, generous, beautiful, and well—she was interesting. She wasn’t like the society crowd he was always forced to mingle with. Lizzie wasn’t arrogant or false. She was a good companion, a good listener, intelligent, and he enjoyed the almost childlike fascination she displayed when she saw something new. He liked her unrestrained reactions…in all areas of her personality. And he had the opportunity to witness that particular characteristic many times over the last two days.

He chuckled as he remembered her trepidation at taking the ferry across the river the first day they left Bonne Terre. Yet, within moments of being on the ferry, her fears were forgotten and she had run to the rail, wanting to see everything she could. She didn’t realize how closely he’d watched her as she searched for fish and turtles in the murky depths. He enjoyed watching her smile when he had pointed out the long dark shape of a passing fish, and liked hearing her surprised laugh when the water splashed against the side of the ferry, raining a few droplets down on their clothes. Many of the women he knew would have been furious their gown had gotten wet, but Elizabeth hadn’t even moved from her spot at the rail, instead holding her hands out waiting for another splash.

Strangely enough, he found himself more drawn to this girl than any other he met in his life, and he didn’t mind the fact she was legally his wife. He knew he should be just as upset and furious as Lizzie was, but he wasn’t. He realized it was past time for him to marry and have children as his parents desired, and he was mildly surprised to discover the idea didn’t bother him when he thought of Lizzie in that role. It was true she wasn’t as sophisticated and cultured as his parents would like to see, but all those things would come in time. Once she was properly clothed, and had a chance to adapt to life in high society, he was certain she would be well liked by the Chicago set.

He stopped for a moment on the street, looking up at the law office he had planned on entering. If their marriage did not get annulled, he would have a year to spend with her and see if a relationship between them would work. His parents would be forced to accept her as his wife and couldn’t keep forcing him into the arms of the next available socialite.

If it didn’t work out between them, after a year, Lizzie would be free to return to her farm without fear of repercussion from Morgan’s stipulation on their marriage. Should he pose the idea to her? He immediately discarded the thought. She had spent more than half the trip to Saint Louis asking him if he truly thought their marriage could be annulled. She had asked countless times how long it would take, and when it might be possible for her to return to Bonne Terre.

Yet, what if he found their marriage could not be annulled? Or the document of Morgan’s was valid? Then they would be forced to remain married. Many couples were forced into a marriage of convenience to elevate their social standing, and not all turned out as badly as his parents. Maybe the marriage between Lizzie and himself would turn out well. He smiled at the thought and walked up the steps into the law office.


Derek walked back into his room with a grin. He had several packages tucked under his arm, and he could barely wait to see the expression on Lizzie’s face when she saw what they contained. He put them on the settee and opened the door to the bedroom. He was immediately confronted with the sight of Lizzie dressed only in her chemise. She gasped in surprised as his eyes swept her over exposed form, noting the long length of her legs, the curve of her hip, the creamy white of her shoulders and neck before he quickly turned around. He took two deep breaths. “So sorry, I will just wait for you in the sitting room.” He forced himself to walk back out of the bedroom and close the door.

He leaned against the door, trying to shut out the image of her mostly unclad form which had insidiously imbedded itself into his mind’s eye. He pushed away from the door and stalked over to the decanter of brandy on the small sideboard. He poured himself a small glass and quickly tossed it down, feeling the fiery path it burned to his belly. He had to get this strange and nearly irrepressible desire for the girl under control. He realized it had been a fair amount of time since he had passed away a few leisurely hours with someone of the feminine persuasion. But, he didn’t feel it had been so long he should react so drastically to the site of a woman in her underclothes. He recalled the long length of her legs and he could easily imagine those long, lean legs wrapped tightly around his hips.

He let out a low growl in frustration and poured himself another drink, chastising himself for his unruly thoughts. He must stop this! He had spent the last three days in the sole company of the woman, making certain he treated her with honor and respect. He hadn’t been easy to fight the unbidden attraction he felt for Elizabeth. He found himself thinking of the intimacies they had shared far too often. Perhaps he should leave now and seek out a club where he could find some pleasant and willing company. He needed a distraction from his innocent, virginal, and quite desirable girl in the next room.

The object of his thoughts opened the door between the rooms. She met his eyes only briefly before flushing bright red and dropping her gaze to the floor. Her hair was still damp and hung in a single braid down her back. His gaze dropped to the curve of her neck and shoulder and he trembled with the desire to place his lips against the smooth skin. He remembered far too clearly how she had responded when he kissed her there—how she melded her body so eagerly against his. He firmly clamped down on his train of thought, making his decision.

“I wanted to let you know, I wouldn’t be joining you for dinner tonight after all. I have some urgent business I must attend to. I will have dinner sent up to you.”

Elizabeth looked up quickly, hearing a tense quality to his voice. She forgot her embarrassment of Derek seeing her mostly undressed and hurried over to him. “Is everything alright? There is nothing terribly wrong is there? Did you talk to a lawyer already? Did he mention if he thought we could get an annulment?”

Derek stood looking down at her and he set the remainder of his drink down carefully. Why did she have to come so close to him? He could have resisted temptation if she had stayed across the room. And why was she so damned eager to know about the lawyers? Was he such awful company? “No, nothing is terribly wrong. I just found some things that need attended to.”

“Don’t you wish to eat first? I mean surely it can wait until you’ve had some dinner. I—I would enjoy the company. I’m not used to eating alone.” Lizzie laid her hand on his forearm and she felt the muscle tense under her touch. She felt badly about her rather emotional behavior earlier, and was feeling much calmer now that she had a chance to bathe and relax after their long trip. She had truly been looking forward to having a chance to apologize and thank Derek properly for all the things he had done for her. She looked up into his eyes shyly and found herself trapped by the intensity of his stare.

Derek nearly quivered from her gentle touch on his arm. He wanted to comply with her wishes, and yet, felt he could not trust himself to stay in the same room with her—at least not feeling like he did right now. His gaze dropped to her lips and with a swiftness that surprised them both he clutched her shoulders and dropped his mouth to meet hers in a fierce kiss. She gasped against his lips in shock and he quickly deepened the kiss. He met no resistance, instead he felt her body sag into his and Derek found he wanted nothing more than to pick her up and carry her into the bedroom beyond.

Derek could feel her hands flat upon his chest, but they did not resist him, instead they slowly slid up to his shoulders drawing him closer. He brought his thumbs up and grazed the skin of her collarbone and he felt her shiver under his touch. His hands drifted to the sides of her neck, cradling her head and tilting it further so she was forced to kiss him more deeply, wanting to taste more of her. Her tongue teased his and he felt a bolt of desire sear his very center. He pulled his lips from hers and kissed his way to her ear, catching the lobe between his teeth gently and eliciting a gasp of pleasure from her lips. He nipped the sensitive skin under her ear and she moaned deep in her throat and he could feel himself throbbing, hard and ready for her. He abruptly stepped back from her. He could not do this. Lizzie’s eyes snapped open, obviously confused and bewildered.

“If I don’t leave you, my dear, you will not get your annulment, for I will not be able to keep myself from consummating this union between us in every sense of the word. Goodnight.” Derek turned and left the room as if the devil was after him. And if devils came in virginal packages with the soul of a temptress trapped inside, it most definitely was.

Lizzie stood stunned as she watched Derek quickly exit the room. Heat flooded her cheeks as the meaning of his words finally penetrated the fog he left her in. Did he mean he would make their marriage legal and binding by taking her to his bed? She felt her cheeks flame hotter at the thought. She did not know much about what occurred between a man and woman in the marriage bed, but she could guess. Derek had left her body aching and full of a nameless, restless feeling. A large part of her wished he would have stayed, and she blushed even more with the thought. Yet, they were legally married. Would it be so awful to stay married to Derek? He was kind, considerate—passionate. He made her feel things she never guessed existed. Could they learn to love one another? She definitely liked the way he kissed her.

She brought her fingers up to her lips, still tingling and slightly sore from the pressure of his mouth against her own and shivered as the light pressure made her stomach contract. She visualized the heat of his eyes and remembered the way he had stared at her when he had walked in on her changing in the bedroom. She wondered what he would have done if they had been willingly wed? Would he have swept her nearly naked form into his arms? Would his hands have caressed other areas of her body? She placed her hands against her cheeks, mortified. How could she think such things? It wasn’t appropriate—yet the thought was enough to make her very core ache.

She looked around the room frantically, trying to find something else to occupy her mind, suddenly glad her husband had felt the need to leave, not understanding the conflicting emotions raging inside her.

She noticed several wrapped packages on the settee and she wondered what they might be. One of the corners was ripped and she picked it up and tried to glance inside, unable to make out the contents she put her finger in the hole and encountered silken softness. She tore open the package and her cheeks flamed again when she saw it was a silk shift. She couldn’t imagine Derek choosing such a garment for her, but it was much fancier than her home made garment, adorned with satin bows and lace at the shoulders. She looked at it closely and noticed it would fit much more snugly to her frame than what she currently wore, yet did not look too small. She allowed the material to flow through her fingers and she could only imagine how it would feel against her skin. The package also contained matching drawers and stays.

Lizzie opened the next package and found a night rail and robe of similar make. They were made of peach satin and were so fine she wondered if one might see through it in the light. The other packages contained slippers, gloves, a shawl, and a bonnet. She sat down on the settee amongst all the wrappings and stared at the many things he had bought for her. He had promised he would take care of her and indeed he was. She looked again at the nightrail beside her, trailing her fingers over the fine fabric. She wished she could have thanked him for his generosity and thoughtfulness before he left.

She couldn’t help but wonder what would have happened between them if Derek had stayed. She felt her cheeks grow hot remembering the heat in his eyes as his lips had claimed hers. She wondered if it was bad that a small part of her hoped their marriage could not be dissolved. What would it be like to stay Mrs. Derek Cargill? Would anything develop out of the spark which seemed to flare so easily between them? She stood up and firmly put the thought out of her mind. She gathered the items on the settee and took them back into the bedroom to make certain the fine items did not get wrinkled.

© Copyright 2007 Allarius (allarius at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1241684-Country-Lady---CH-7-8