*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1242242-When-it-rains-it-pours
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #1242242
this is for an essay contest and it's about a busy day in a busy street in london
                Martin Waltz ran eagerly down the sidewalk, late for work as usual. It was a busy day in London, England and, like every other day, it was raining. The large droplets of water crashed against Martin’s raincoat as he skipped from puddle to puddle. Twenty blocks from his house, amongst the looming dirty buildings of downtown, was Martin’s art gallery, the most exclusive art gallery in London. Unfortunately, today was not a day when one wishes to be late for work as a new painting should arrive right at the front doors.
         As he approached the building, Martin spotted the large canvas covered in a plastic cover that, inevitably, had a gaping hole in the front of it.
         “No! Get it inside!” Martin shouted at the moving men in brown uniforms. They stared at him blankly then attempted to push the painting through the front door. Martin sighed and ran over to help them.
         Eventually, the painting made its way through the building and onto its pedestal. Martin pulled off the cover carefully and examined the work. The rain blended the watercolor painting into smears of color that ran down the canvas in large streaks like blood down a sink. The longer Martin stared at the painting, the more it reminded him of the rain and the wet that he ran through to get there. Grey swirls clouded the top of the painting and smeared softly into large globs of blue and black.
         “It’s art!” He cried to everyone, piercing the silence like a skewered pig. At the art show that would take place that night, Rainy Day, the inspirational painting, would be displayed as the top item. How fortunate for Martin that the careless movers placed that hole in the plastic cover.
*293 WORDS*
© Copyright 2007 WildFire (nullandvoid at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1242242-When-it-rains-it-pours