*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1242992-Think
Rated: E · Other · Opinion · #1242992
Rant about the lack of thinking in the modern American culture.
Writing about writing is just like thinking about thinking, circuitous and interminable, thoughts roving soon well-worn paths, writing along the lines they give you instead of outside the lines.                                                         

Maybe if someone reads this, they'll think. Think about thoughts, think about the sound of one hand clapping, the sound the sunset makes, anything, something other than their homework, and the movie they'll watch this afternoon and what they'll eat for dinner. Notice I use "they". Maybe I should use "you" and make you feel like I'm directing this toward "you". But "you" know what? Maybe that'd hit too close, let's see, shall we? Maybe think about something even less substantial than your reputation, more important than your clothes and hair and make-up. How does directing this at you make you feel? I hope it makes you think. This could all be wishful thinking, but without wishful thinking, where would we be? Take a moment and think about that. Maybe, if people read this and understand it, they'll think before they act. Before they say something that may diminish a spark of thought, of something different of Inspiration. Maybe people already think like this, and just don't say it. I do, this is how I think, sometimes. Maybe, if people read this, they'll talk about something rather than the everyday twaddle of nothing that seems to be pervading our culture. Maybe my small sacrifice of a bit of ink, paper, time will change something, somebody's thinking, somebody's actions. If you never consider this again or just dismiss it as stupid or and idealist's idle rambling, take right now and think.

© Copyright 2007 Fan of Me (only_fan_of_me at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1242992-Think