*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1244288-Silence
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1244288
Another minimalist piece dealing with lost love. See if you can figure out the ending.
              The pale sun came through the gray clouds.  She walked down the stone path.  She found him there, where he always was, beneath an ancient oak tree.  She just needed to talk to him.
         She sank down near him, her back against the rough bark of the tree.
         I just have a few things to say, she said.  Please listen to me.
         He gave no answer, but seemed to be permitting her to speak.
         I don’t know how you feel about me, she said.  But I miss you.  Since you’ve been gone, it hasn’t been the same.  It’s like life just isn’t worth living anymore.
         She paused.
         His silence was unnerving.  His face was obscured from her view.  She didn’t know if he could see her or not.  Maybe he wondered if she were finished.
         She drew a breath.
         Look, I’m not asking for anything from you, she said.  I know we can’t go back to the way things were back then.  But every single day of my life I wish so hard that I could change what happened.
         She stopped herself.
         This isn’t what I came to say.
         The wind stirred the grass around them.  She drew closer to him as she tried to collect her thoughts.
         Look, she said at last.  For the past few years I’ve been so angry.  I’ve been furious with you, furious with myself, furious with everything.  But I came to tell you that I’ve come to my senses.  I don’t have any anger left.  I came here to tell you that I love you.  I love you and I always have.
         She looked towards him, waiting for a reply.  Waiting for anything.
         No answer came from him.  She knew no answer ever would, not now.
         She pressed her cheek against the polished marble and cried.

© Copyright 2007 OnTheOtherSide (ontheotherside at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1244288-Silence