*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1244860-Mercks-Gardasil-controversy
Rated: 13+ · Article · Educational · #1244860
An overview of the controversy surrounding the new product Gardasil. Comments appreciated.
    Much controversy has surrounded a Texas governor's approval of a mandatory vaccine for Gardasil. Gardasil owned by a Mr. Merck treats human papillomavirus (HPV) a virus that can lead to cervical cancer. It is averaged that 4,000 girls die each year from cervical cancer. Although many people think it should be mandatory for girls and young women to be vaccinated.
    To this there is much opposition. To start with each dose of the vaccine costs $120 and three doses is needed. Religious conservatives argue that since HPV is an STD it should not be mandatory, because young girls shouldn't have sex anyways and to suggest so would be offensive. Liberal democrats are opposed to making the vaccine mandatory because of Merck's close relation to pharmaceutical companies, suggesting his efforts are more in tuned to making money.
    With the controversy surrounded in this issue Gardisil has pulled back on there advertisements, and fierce lobbying efforts. Whether you approve or disapprove of Gardasil it could prevent deaths and overall benefit to get it.


      Cimantha Jacobs
© Copyright 2007 cimantha (cimanthajacobs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1244860-Mercks-Gardasil-controversy