*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1245357-Stuck
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1245357
A meeting on a bridge occurs. Who are they?
She sat on the railing of her bridge. She was waiting for something and she knew exactly what it was. It wasn’t long before she heard footsteps. He was late but she had been expecting that. And soon there he stood on her bridge.
He was a handsome boy, rather on the lean side but with a muscled body none the less. His nose had once been broken and so now looked lopsided but she didn’t care. In her opinion that was one of his handsomest features. It was a sign of a boy who would not care if blood splattered on his collar. He wore a mill uniform having just gotten off duty from doffing. He, unlike her didn’t need to go to school and even if the law told him to there was money needed in his family. 
She was a well enough looking girl. She was not horrific nor was she stunning but she clever, very clever. She had been told by mothers who had found her getting smart with them, that she was on her way to outwitting the devil himself. Not that she remembered that anymore, it having been so long since yesteryear. She did not wear a smock but rather a plain grey dress with no collar.
“Hello” He said with a grin
she turned her head to look at him. “You are late, dear boy. Pray may I pry as to what kept you.” She knew what the answer would be, as did he.
“Why it were those dragged cows who stole off with me letter to you.” He knew what she’d say to that.
“Oh you lazy boy, and how fast did that dragged cow run and how did you ever get your letter back.” He grinned and pulled out a bouquet from behind his back.
“I am afraid to tell ye good lass that I was unable to retrieve the letter from the rotten cow, on me other hand I was able to pick these for me sweet lady.” He knew she would laugh and she did.
“Well if I’m your sweet lady why must I wait on bridges that rest over excited rivers that I wish would carry me to you, and yet they don’t and I must wait in pure agony.” A smile plastered upon the boys face and she knew he would begin walking forward to her with a grin on his face.
“Ahhh then am I not to call thee my sweet lady if cows drag off me letters to far off places.”
She hopped off the railing and stood with her hands on her hips. She scowled a fake scowl, before smirking. “Yes, you may not.” In her opinion he was just a boy to tease, as well as a boy to love. In his opinion she was just a girl to talk to just a girl who he would see everyday till yonder day when the cursed spell was broken.
He walked forward slowly holding the bouquet as if he were a bride walking down to her man. He stopped where he had stopped before so many times and kneeled before her. “Do you not love me? Do you hate me?” he said in quite the sarcastic way.
She looked down on him impersonating an old woman who had lost most of her eyesight and was most displeased. “Rise up dear man, but if ye be late again I shall not take thee back.”
He rose. “I believe I can take that chance.” Then with full passion he kissed her on her bridge just as he had for 100 years because after all they were stuck in that year, stuck playing that day over and over again. Stuck in love. 

© Copyright 2007 Rosebird (yozuzu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1245357-Stuck