*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1245584-Restless-In-The-City
by Raynie
Rated: 13+ · Other · Emotional · #1245584
Short story I wrote for someone very special to me.
The quiet tune of a jazz song played its way into the still air that hung heavy in our room. Traffic buzzed outside and the city sounded as restless as we felt. I could feel my body trying to cool me down as the summer heat blocked the breeze from entering our window. We both lay awake but were too agitated to speak. Sleep was what we craved but doubted we would get tonight.
I pushed the blankets off me and got out of bed. I needed to breathe, needed to free myself from the never-ending night.Walking over to the window I could hear you shuffling around, trying to get off what little clothing you still had on.

The jazz song had ended and the late night radio host was talking to us. He sounded energetic, alive, like these were the nights he hoped for.

You came up behind me and wrapped your arms around my waist. I sighed as I instantly began to feel our bodies stick together. The heat between us increased but neither of us had the energy to pull away.

Another song began to play and you started to sway, letting your body think for itself. I leaned back against you and closed my eyes. Finally a slight breeze had penetrated the thick heat and the curtains rustled as the tiny amount of wind made its way over to our bodies. Time felt slow as the music played and the traffic continued on. The swaying seemed to mold the minutes into the hours and it no longer matted that sleep was impossible. You kissed my neck causing me to open my eyes. As you continued to kiss me softly and silently I stared out the open window and at the night. It was in that moment that I knew why the radio host felt alive. There was a feeling that lived only in this moment. Among the summer heat and the restless city there was an existence. The soft music continued to play but this time working with the night. It seemed to calm the air and bring hope back into out weary bodies. I turned around and kissed you, holding my lips against yours as I began to truly breathe in the night. You smiled against me then turned and crawled back into bed. I followed you slowly and eventually found myself drifting off to sleep as a newfound sense of security and connection now filled the room.
© Copyright 2007 Raynie (ziuaploia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1245584-Restless-In-The-City