*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1246763-Man-vs-Woman
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Cultural · #1246763
A short essay in which the disheartening acts of men to secure masculinity are explained.
Between a Man and a Woman

    Historically, men have carried on their shoulders the weight of masculinity and muscle; this is what culture over the ages has instilled into our way of living.  Starting from early time, society has ensured that the perception of men versus women is conveyed through the lens of superior versus inferior. This has resulted in the general acceptance of such ideas as: a man’s occupation is a projection of himself and should reflect strength and power; men should not share the same behavior as women; nor should a man befriend a woman in the same manner as he would another man.  These ideals are set to encourage boys to act like men, and girls to act like ladies.  The social roles of both man and woman in our culture are defined as merely a means to the above-mentioned end: namely the superiority of men over women, or in practical application: prejudice.  Throughout the development of our culture, what it means to be a man has been shrouded by chauvinism and pride.
         Occupations are a prime example of the ways in which we perform as a society.  Professions such as writing are not becoming of a man, for men were designed to work soil and hunt.  In the past, some writers have taken up hobbies through which their manhood is preserved, such as Hemingway  with his flannel shirt and gun.  Men are expected to assume commanding roles in which they build, delegate, or recreate to continue the hierarchy of social statuses.  For instance, both the captain of a ship and a foreman on a job site has discretion when decisive measures are at hand.  If women should undertake these positions, men would be proven subordinate and the definition of the traditional man would be altered.  If a man appears weak, he may not be taken seriously among his peers, and could be passed up for potentially rewarding positions in society.  Through realism, sages understand that one gender is not anymore superior to the other; through pride and ignorance, others believe that to ensure manhood, one must first obtain a status in which women are subordinate to him.
         Common behaviors among men and women have been exaggerated and molded to fit the scheme of an ideal prospective.  Men are seen to be aggressive, assertive, and unassailable, while women are seen to be passive, submissive and subordinate.  The terms “strong” and “weak” are antonyms that hold practical associations with the terms “man” and “woman.” These principles have led to the segregation of the sexes so that there is no transition of control; man is dominant.  Now that a line has been drawn between the accepted actions of man versus woman, the lifestyle of a man is projected by the manners in which he conducts himself.  Unfortunately, most males conform to the iconic values of masculinity to escape from the pressures of being labeled “weak” or “feminine.” So, the conventional values of masculinity displayed by men are apparent and conducive to the perpetuation of chauvinistic morals and beliefs.
          Within social groups, the activities in which men participate typically exclude women and are frequently competitive (e.g. sports, fraternities, gambling).  A relationship between a man and a woman is different than that of two men; for men have compatibility with one another similar to that of brothers.  Women also have a connection with other women; this is natural.  Sports such as football, NASCAR, and bull riding have enabled the common stereotypes of men and allowed for the alienation of women in a seemingly equal society - a guise through which men deem themselves superior to women.  The conservative tradition among men is to befriend other men as equal, and to befriend women in the sense of husband and wife. 
         Over the course of time, the differences between men and women have been apparent and society has utilized these distinctions to segregate the sexes.  This is unfortunate for those who seek equality and the abolition of discrimination.  Sexism and prejudice encompass daily life, the workplace, and the morals of our youth.  Since discrimination was conceived as a suppressive tactic, it has grown into a quiet giant of conformity and self-righteousness that constantly reshapes and reforms social interaction.  The values that men are expected to live by in our culture are those of a bigoted and exploitive nature, and will continue to be advocated throughout the future.
© Copyright 2007 T. B. Stafford (branstaff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1246763-Man-vs-Woman