*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1247254-Wash-Your-Hands--The-Miniseries
Rated: E · Article · Scientific · #1247254
Avoid getting sick by washing your hands properly.
How many times were you told to wash your hands when you were younger?  As a youngster, I often grew tired of my mother repeating that statement.  Now that I am an adult and have had extensive training in communicable diseases, I have taken over where she left off.  I’m sure my kids appreciate it just as much as I did.

There are many diseases that are spread due to lack of or infrequent hand washing.  In this on going series, we will address some of the common diseases that are spread through improper hand washing.  Hopefully, this information will be understood by all.  Often times, we are inundated with great information, but if we don’t understand the terminology, it’s useless.

In this first lesson, we will address stomach flu, also known as viral gastroenteritis.  Stomach flu affects the stomach and small intestines.  It usually lasts between 1 and 3 days. 

Many different viruses can cause stomach flu.  A virus is a “bad guy”.  “Bad guys” cannot be killed by antibodies.  As a matter of fact, they are not alive.  Unlike bacteria, which are living, very small (microscopic) bugs, viruses cannot be cured with antibiotics.  For example, eye infections, ear infections and yeast infections, which are caused by bacteria, can be cured with antibiotics.  AIDS, the common cold and influenza (the flu) are caused by viruses.  They do not have cures.  It is impossible to kill something that is not alive.

Stomach flu is cause by swallowing one of the “bad guys”.  People can be infected with the virus and unknowingly spread it.  The virus can be spread through direct contact (shaking hands, kissing) with an infected person or by sharing food, drinks and eating utensils.  The “bad guys” enter the stomach and intestines, which irritates those organs.  The irritated organs do not function as they normally do, which can ultimately cause diarrhea and vomiting.

The purpose of this miniseries is to remind people of the importance of hand washing.  Although it may seem redundant, frequent hand washing is the single most important thing you can do to prevent infections and colds.  If you have any symptoms or think you may have stomach flu, contact your local healthcare provider.
© Copyright 2007 write2bless (hlscott28 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1247254-Wash-Your-Hands--The-Miniseries