*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1247422-Jonathan-and-the-Ribbon-Tree
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1247422
Boy dealing with his perception of life and death
                                                  Jonathan and the Ribbon Tree

                                                            By Daryl Campbell



         It's a sunny day when Jonathan turns five. He gets up with tangled, brown hair and sleep stuck in his brown eyes. Today he's going to see the Ribbon Tree.

         “When are ya gonna leave?” Mom asks. “I hope you aren’t gonna be gone all day. He's got a party tonight.”

         “We're leaving after dad and Pops get here.” Dad smiles when Jonathan enters the kitchen. “And look who it is…”

         “Happy birthday, Jonathan!” Mom, a beautiful woman with brown hair, yells, hugging him tight. “Five years old!”

         “Mom!”

         “She’s right, Jonathan. You’re full grown now. A little small though.” Dad kisses him on the back of the head.

         “Dad!”

         Jonathan sits at the table to eat eggs and toast. As he's finishing, his grandpa and great grandpa arrive, presents in hand.

         “So, where’s the birthday boy?” A man with white hair asks.

         Jonathan tries to hide in the kitchen, but a giggle gives him away.

         “Ahh,” Grandpa turns, grabs Jonathan, and lifts.

         Jonathan laughs.

         “He’s ready for the ribbon tree,” Dad says. “He’s been talking about it all week.”

         “I’ll bet he was.” His great grandpa, Pops, and rubs Jonathan's head.

         “As soon as he gets changed we can head out,” Dad says. “I’ll get your ribbon.”

         Jonathan runs down the hall. He puts on a red shirt, jeans, and blue shoes. After he brushes his teeth, they leave in Pops’ station wagon and head for the Ribbon Tree. The tree's a tradition, something fathers and sons and daughters share. On their fifth birthday, a child goes to the tree, climbs as high as they can, and ties their ribbon to a limb. They return each year, until they're ten, and can move the ribbon.

         Jonathan knows how he's going to climb the tree. He'll get as high as he can and tie the ribbon, a dark blue one with his name sewn on it in silver thread. Looking out the window, he sees the tree appear, rising up from a grassy hill. The station wagon pulls into a dirt parking area and stops. Jonathan jumps out, excitement rushing through him.

         “We aren‘t in that big a hurry,” Dad says, climbing out himself.

         “You were excited too.” Jonathan’s grandpa tells his dad. “He’ll be fine.”

         “Go ahead then.” Dad laughs.

         Jonathan turns and runs to the hill. Branches stretch across the sky above him. Ribbons of every size and color hang on the tree. The trunk slants away from him with a slight lean and he reaches it quickly. Limbs grow in such a way that climbing it'll be easy. Ribbons, most old and torn, cover the ground and Jonathan bends to catch his breath.

         “What do ya think?” Dad reaches him first.

         “I like it, but why are these on the ground?” Jonathan points at fallen ribbons.

         “Well. . .”

         “They’re ribbons of people who have passed.” Pops, interrupts. “When someone’s not here anymore, their ribbon falls from the tree.”

         “Not here?” Jonathan asks.

         “Nobody’s here forever,” Grandpa tells him.

         “They’re always here in memory,” Pops adds.

         Dad takes over. “When you’re older, you’ll understand better. Let’s get that ribbon in the tree.”

         “Okay, I‘m gonna climb to the top.” Jonathan puts the ribbon in his mouth and grabs the first branch he can reach.

         “Don’t go higher than you can,” Grandpa says.

         Jonathan starts up the leaning trunk, ties off his ribbon before he gets as high as he hopes, and climbs back down.

         “That's a good one.” Grandpa pats his shoulder.

         “You’re close to mine. You see it?” Pops points to a sun bleached, yellow ribbon with Charles sewn in black thread.

         Jonathan nods.

         “I was your age when I put it there. I never moved it, but the tree wasn’t so big then.” Pops smiles.

         Dad and grandpa share memories of the tree with Jonathan and point out their own ribbons. Grandpa’s red ribbon is the highest and can barely be seen. Dad’s ribbon, a faded and torn purple one is alone at the end of a fat branch.

         “We need to get home. There's cake and ice cream. Maybe some presents.” Dad says.

         “A lot of presents.” Jonathan smiles as he runs for the car.

         “We’ll see.” Dad chases him.

         As they get to the car, they see other kids with ribbons making their first trip to the Ribbon Tree. Watching the tree fade in the distance out the back window, Jonathan leans against Pops, and falls asleep.

         “Jonathan.” Dad lifts him. “Jonathan, we’re home. You need to wake up.”

         Once they're in the house, Dad puts Jonathan down and Mom takes him to change and get something to eat before the party.

         Family and friends are at the party and there's cake, ice cream, and presents. Jonathan tells everyone about his day at the Ribbon Tree.

         Jonathan's first year at school starts and he makes new friends, some with  stories about the Ribbon Tree. He enjoys talking about the tree and is looking forward to his birthday. He'll go back to the tree and find a new place for his ribbon.

         November ends cold and lonely. Pops dies near Thanksgiving and it's rough on Jonathan. The next few months are hard, but the arrival of his birthday makes him happy.

         Jonathan's up early on his sixth birthday, ready to leave when grandpa gets there. It takes a long time to get to the Ribbon Tree and Jonathan spends the time thinking about last year's trip. Then, as his thoughts turn to memories of Pops, the parking lot appears.

         Walking to the tree, Jonathan sees his ribbon blowing in the wind, but Pops’ isn't where it had been. He looks at the ground beneath the tree and finds the missing yellow ribbon.

         “Well,” Dad speaks, “you gonna move your ribbon?”

         “Only four more tries,” Grandpa adds.

         “I know. I’m gonna move it.” Jonathan grabs the limbs.

         He climbs quickly to the ribbon and unties it. Jonathan puts the ribbon in his mouth and climbs. Despite warnings from his dad, he climbs until he reaches a height that frightens him. There, he ties the ribbon and climbs back down.

         “Jonathan,” Dad looks him in the eyes, “you don’t have to do it all at once. Three more trips before you’re done. You had me worried.”

         “Listen to him. There‘s plenty of time,” grandpa says.

         “I know, it‘s just…”

         Voices of a man and his son interrupt. Jonathan’s dad and grandpa turn to greet the new arrivals. Jonathan grabs Pops' ribbon and stuffs it in his pocket. He walks to the car and gets in. After dad and grandpa get here they leave for home.

         The following year is good for Jonathan and he's a happy first grader. However, he loses himself in the yellow ribbon and memories of Pops. Unable to resolve the difficulty he has with someone not being there, Jonathan's frightened and confused.

         As his seventh birthday comes, the excitement of the Ribbon Tree takes on new strength. This year he'll put his ribbon in an unreachable spot. He practices, climbing any tree he can find and will make sure the ribbon finds a great place.

         On Jonathan's seventh birthday, he leaves the house early with dad and grandpa for the tree. As they get to the tree, black clouds can be seen for miles and miles. He's in a rush now, jumping from the car when it stops and racing to the top of the hill. Once there, he feels his pocket for Pops’ ribbon and starts up the tree.

         Reaching his ribbon, he unties it. Tiny drops of rain fall against his face as he moves through the branches. He doesn't get far before starts loosing his grip and stops to tie the ribbon. Lightning spreads out in crooked forks, lighting the sky and Jonathan rushes down the tree.

         The third trip to the tree is short, but Jonathan’s seventh birthday party is one he’ll always remember. He gets a golden dog he names Charles.

         Jonathan’s difficulty with the death of his great grandfather continues through the next year. Mom and dad attempt to explain why things are the way they are, but he  can't  resolve his struggle with it.

         When Jonathan's eighth birthday arrives, grandpa's sick and can't go to the tree. Instead, the dog makes the trip. Arriving early, Jonathan and Charles spend time playing in the field around the hill.

         Eventually, Jonathan decides to move the ribbon and this year he makes a dangerous climb. He climbs and climbs until he's so far up the branches can barely hold him. Dad panics and yells for him to tie the ribbon and get down. The trip down is more difficult than the climb up and is agonizingly slow.

         Jonathan’s dad speaks with him on the way home. He explains about life the best he can. Dad tells him it's a coincidence, a ribbon falling from the tree near a death. It isn't important to get the ribbon so high because it doesn't add to your time in the world.

         “You’ll be here as long as someone remembers you. You miss someone when they’re not here, but they’re always with you.” He kisses Jonathan on the forehead when the car stops in the driveway.

         The following year is great for Jonathan. Pops’ ribbon is in his closet and he takes it out from time to time to keep the memories fresh.

         On ninth birthday, Jonathan's parents don't take him to the Ribbon Tree. Dad tells him he’ll enjoy the day if he gives it a try. The drive ends at a large park filled with tables, swings, slides, and merry-go-rounds. As they unload the car, Jonathan sees his grandpa then friends. The party's an all day event with food, lots of games, a chocolate cake with blue icing, and presents.

         Fourth grade's a blur. Jonathan plays sports, travels with his family, and enjoys everything life gives him. He holds his memories and through them he has the smiles, the hugs, and the head-rubs Pops left behind. Jonathan feels them as he dresses for his final, ribbon moving trip.

         “Happy birthday!” Mom sets a plate on the table. “I know you think you’re a little old now, but I made you a special breakfast.”

         “Ready for the trip?” Dad asks, laughing at Jonathan’s plate.

         On the plate is a smiling face made from eggs, two round sausages, and bacon. Jonathan smiles and his cheeks redden.

         “Yep,” Jonathan answers.

         “Hello,” a familiar voice says when the door opens. “Ten years old today! And look what I've got.” Grandpa comes in carrying a large present.

         “Later!” Mom says. “Finish breakfast so you can get going.”

         It takes Jonathan a few minutes to eat and dress for the trip. Mom comes to the tree with them on this special day. On the way, the talk is about the putting the ribbon in a good spot. Jonathan smiles, he already knows where he'll put it.

         They pull into the parking area. The car stops and Jonathan's out and running for the tree. He doesn't hesitate, climbing without fear slowing him down. He nears the ribbon, unties it, and tucks it in his pocket.

         Jonathan starts away from the trunk on thick limbs. He stops near a purple ribbon. Positioning himself so he won't fall, he ties his ribbon beside the purple one. After it's in a good knot, he pulls a yellow ribbon from his pocket and ties it around the other two. It hangs straight down with the name Charles visible. He makes his way down. The three ribbons, the purple, the yellow, and the blue one, stand alone way out on a fat limb.

         “Nice place for a ribbon,” Dad whispers. “I like it.”



                                                 * * * * * * *



         Years later, a blue car pulls in the parking lot and a small, brown haired girl jumps from the passenger side to make her first run to the tree. A long, pink ribbon waves in the wind behind her. Jonathan walks around the car to shut the little girl’s door and long ago memories wash over him as he watches his daughter climb.

© Copyright 2007 teihzbael (dwc99999 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1247422-Jonathan-and-the-Ribbon-Tree