*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1247715-Lifes-Treasures
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1247715
As she sat by the livingroom window, a hugh bolt of lightening blazed across the sky.
As she sat by the livingroom window a hugh bolt of lightening blazed across the dark evening sky. As she watched she cringed at the power of the strom. Worried for the safety of her cat. Tazzy was outside wondering around somewhere. And for her husband Dan that had called Gwen over an hour ago to say he was on his way home. Gwen hated storms. She had been afraid since a tornado had wisked her childhood home and parents away when she had been 10. It was only because she had been staying with a cousin during summer for a sleepover that Gwen had been spared.

The storm was getting worse and the lights flicker. Adding to Gwen's worried state of mind. Where was Dan? Why wasn't he home yet? He should have been home at least half an hour ago. Was there an accident? Had he been in the accident? She hated waiting, not knowing that he was safe. With a load crack the lights blinked off. Gwen hurried to light the candles she had placed on the fireplace mantle earlier. Feeling a little better with the soft glow.

Gwen thought about her childhood and wondered how her parents must have been so scared when the tornado started to rip their home apart. She hoped that they had not had to suffer. She missed them terriblely. She wondered how her life might have been different if her parents had lived thru that storm.

Gwen got up and wondered around wanting to disspell the sad thoughts. She heard a noice at the door. She moved quickly to see if it was Dan. Opening the door she saw it was only Tazzy. As the cat ran quickly into the house Gwen peered into the darkness hoping to see Dan's car coming down the road. As she peered towards the south she saw no lights and gave a weary sigh. Where was he, she asked for the hundredth time.

Gwen sat in her rocker to try to calm herself. Tazzy jumped in her lap wanting to be comforted too. She wondered where the silly cat had been that she was still dry. Maybe she had been hanging out in the barn till she had gotten the courage to make a run for the house. Tazzy didn't like storms either.

As Gwen looked at the clock again she finally saw Dans truck lights flash across the yard. With a sigh of relief Gwen put the cat down so that she could met Dan at the doos. As Gwen opened the door Dan came running, splashing across the yard.
With a shake of her head Gwen reached out her arms to welcome Dan home. Dan said, "Sorry I'm late honey, the roads are a mess out there". With a sweet kiss they closed the door on the rainy dark night on the other side.
© Copyright 2007 The Wild Ferret (tsferrets at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1247715-Lifes-Treasures