*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1249672-The-Darkest-Angel
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jeirn
Rated: ASR · Other · Fantasy · #1249672
The world threatened from the sky by demons, one woman strikes back.
Invisible

         She was flying, it was a beautiful moment, she flew with her arms stretched out to their fullest.  She gasped at the wide world below her and, at that moment, she had both fear banging against her heart and exhilaration of being so high in the city.  She was a slim 36 year old woman standing only 5"4' and weighing only 90 pounds, and her beautiful eyes could stop a man in his tracks with their piercing dark bue stare.  She was plummeting off the tallest sky scraper in Vancouver, the tower that could be seen from anywhere in the city.  It was the place she knew she could fly, cut the wind, and soar.  The air was rushing as the feet toward earth decreased rapidly.  She did not fear death though, she only feared failure, she would not fail, she told herself before she jumped.  She couldn't fail, the world depended on it after all, according to her anyway.
         And what was she doing jumping off of this tower?  She could tell you, but you'd never believe her.  She was not just flying with the birds, she was going to fight.  She closed her eyes and her suit, a composite of kevlar and other metalic substances meant for ease of flight, spring open and eight foot long wings appear, they shine in the night light as the reflections of hundreds of stars shine above and the street lights all shine below.  Her suit was something of a rarity in itself, she protection from most flesh wounds as the suit acted as armour though it did not protect her from more serious concussive blows or percise stabs.  Her skill in using the suit's wings, the rare part about the suit itself, helped her avoid explosions.  The interesting thing about the wings was this, while most wings are fixed to be concave on one side and convex on the other, these wings were designed to allow concave and convex wings on either side of each metallic feather.  The result was she could easily raise altitude and lower altitude if she so choose to with just tensing certain muscles.  As well, she had handy blades that bore no extra weight to the wings, but allowed the wings to act as slicing weapons.  She loved her suit and felt perfectly at home in it flying through the air with gravity as her propulsion opposite of muscle and dexterity. 
         She was fighting a wicked force that had taken the skies of Vancouver.  She spotted one, a creature no bigger than herself, the creature was like a skeletal paradactyal had taken flight.  The bones were completely black and the wings were solid flesh.  Two dark red eyes stared out at the approaching girl and it knew it had a window to attack her if it was quick enough.  She had made a name for herself fighting up here and the residents of Vancouver were thankful for her, though no less scared when they saw a small woman jump off the tower, or any other tall building.  Her beautiful blue eyes stared hard at the creature and then she flew to the fight by tensing her right arm muscles more and relaxing her left arm.  She had a good idea how these creatures fought, but the way it was flying in a circle in the air, occassionally glancing at her, told her that it was either creating an idea to defeat her, or it was not quite sure what she was.  Though, by now, she was sure every one of these creatures knew who she was.  Whenever they flew in circles, she knew she would have a long hard night.  She suddenly put both arms at her sides flexing her muscles to make the wings flow behind her.  She dived in head first hoping to catch it by surprise. 
         Two red eyes suddenly widened as the girl shot directly toward it.  What was she thinking?  Either way, it was surprised and it reacted quickly.  It had one more rotation before the circle was complete.  It had to circle a specific body of air five times in order for it's companions to assist it.  But now, it didn't have time.  It would have to react or it would be cut to smitherines the next second.  It didn't even have time to utter it's terrible scream as it broke the circle and rose altitude and flew above her in a very tight arc.  The arc was meant to come right up behind her, at that same moment, she released her right arm in for a strike and six razor sharp blades cut where the creature was supposed to be.  But she missed, and now it was time for her eyes to go wide.  This was one quick creature.  Her heart quickened as instincts took over and she knew to watch her pretty butt closely.  She decided to rise as well and catch it on the way down.  She went into a large arc as the outside of the wings became concave allowing the air to push her up.  It was a windy night and the updraft shot her straight up just a few meters away from the creature as it turned to make it's descent. 
         Again the girl had surprised it, where had she gone though it could hear her coming up as the air collided with her suit.  It brought it's closest set of claws in her direction aiming for a strike.  She had brought hers up at the same time, and metal and bone clashed.  Both had taken damage.  Her blades had scrapped against bone and the bone had scraped against the metallic suit.  Both grunted as they passed, but she decided that she wanted it too badly.  She turned suddenly bringing her left arm to bear.  Using her size to quickly manuver her left arm was able to slash good against the creatures lower chest area.  The creature howled as the blades cut the bone.  It then did it's best to get out of range, it did not expect her to do that and had to find a way to block the second strike should she do that again.  The wound cut into the bone, but it could sustain a few of these.  She had drawn first blood and that took creature off guard, a dangerous place for it to be. 
         She felt herself feel victorious with that strike.  She knew as well, not to let it get to her head, this creature wasn't dead yet.  She turned back around and with a flap of her metallic wings she was meters away.  She turned back to view the reeling creature and they locked stares.  Her eyes were hard icy globes meeting the very fires of hell from the creature's dreadful skull.  As the bone did not reflect the moonlight, but it was perfectly shaded against the night.  Though, this did little to hide it in the darkness of the sky now though as she had kept it in her sights.  She had to keep it in her sights and listen for the sound of wings beating against the sky.  The creature had recovered from the blow and with an unearthly howl it came after her.  She knew it would be angry after that strike, it wanted first blood, and she won. 
         The howl, she hated the howl, it trembled down her bones, as if they were knocking bone knuckles on each one.  She had to focus to keep from losing concentration.  She also had to fight off images of terrible creatures, her mind trying to comphensate for something she could never understand completely.  She bit back her fear and with a tensing of both muscles she shot both arms out in front of her and tried to anticipate which strike would be next.  She saw outlines of dark flapping wings coming quickly toward her, rythmically as if they were flapping to a beat of a song.  But because both were flapping at once to gain altitude.  She could not guess which one would strike her.  She decided, in the last few moments, to defend herself rather than strike.  She then crossed her arms over her chest and the wings covered her petite body.  The metallic feathers then shuddered as the creature's bone clashed against them.  She then decided to strike and with a tensing of her muscles in her left arm and a flick blades came out to meet bone in a side swipe catching the wing of the creature as it passed.  She was done doing passes now though, she wanted to finish it.  She relaxed her left arm and timed the retraction of the blades on the wing to bring her right wing to bear.  After this was done she extended both wings and flapped her wings after the creature as it reeled again. 
         She was a few feet away from it's feet as she flapped her wings once more to get over the creature.  With a sudden plummet she was on top of the creature bringing both of her wings down into it's body.  She knew she had killed it then and then she plummeted a hundred feet before depositing the creature on a rooftop with a hard slam.  The creature shattered and became a pile of bones.  The essence of the evil in the creature would travel back to hell now, it no longer existed on this world.  She had won another night and with a flap of her wings she sighed.  How had the world become so chaotic and destroyed she wondered.  So much evil in the skies, so much evil lurked behind their eyes.  She shook her head and knew she would have to speak with her mentor, Adriel.  She flapped her wings and then, for the first time in weeks, she flew just for fun.
© Copyright 2007 Jeirn (aerdriskegia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1249672-The-Darkest-Angel