*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1252912-Snagtooth-Part-One
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1252912
Being a Roamer is great, except when eveyone expects you to act human.
Okay I bite. There was a time I wouldn’t have even thought of it as wrong but now I have a whole new perspective, at least that’s what I tell my therapist. I bit some Were and know I was in a poop of trouble thanks to the OBI, (Otherworld Bureau of Investigation) who gave me the choice of time in confinement or therapy. Like that was a hard thought through choice.

So now I am more in tune with my Otherness, aka my alienisms, which is what the Homo sapiens like call to us different ones. They even gave us a whole new department to Law us, isn't that nice if them. I particularly like OB, Otherworld Bureau, it sound so mysterious and whimsical.

I must confess though that I am not that interesting, most of humans find me repulsive or fascinating, but I've always liked my sleek black fur and my shiny white teeth, those silly humans always get scared when I'm being polite and smile. I suppose they think I 'm snarling at them, showing my teeth. I always try to be polite and these human smile at each when there doing that or trying to put someone at ease, it just isn't working for me.

Before I was a little on the wild site, I mean can you blame me? I was raised in the wild, like I would really take that name calling, and I really didn’t bite them just a little nip, hardly drew any blood. By the way they reacted you’d think I was trying to murder ‘em, like I said their silly.

Being on probation sucks, I mean I have to check in with a fairy, awful thing always strutting about with his nose in the air. O’Donnell thinks he’s better than me. I’m not the one who had to change my real name. Like who really believes his last name is O’Donnell. Ha, that is a laugh.

I had a surprise visit from the prig last night, and his face when he saw my specially made king size cat bed was hilarious, his face had the expression of being… revolted. Well I never liked these routine house inspections that they pull on us, like I would have catnip stashed in here. As if I need catnip, I am a highly energetic feline.

In fact I am a rare and if I do say so myself beautiful being, I walk on two legs and have normal human arms, in fact I look like a human in most ways. Except I have beautiful black fur, and a tail and instead of human shaped ears I have pointy cat ears. My hearing is superb, as are my reflexes and flexibility. I don't have a pink nose though; my nose is long and elegant with flared nostrils. My eyes are just like domestic cats', large tilted and green which contrast nicely with my black fur, and instead of human teeth mine are very feline, nice and sharp.

Besides my parents, I have yet to see another of my fellow Roamers, the name stuck because were solitary and we like to roam. We also liked to hunt the local villagers a few centuries back but we not suppose to do that anymore. OBI would have us declared hostile, and then we'd be considered dangerous and therefore imprisonment or execution would be the follow up. I find it a bit offensive after all I am a carnivore except for those few times I’ve felt a craving for vegetation, usually catnip, which is yummy, but due to excessive use by Roamers we’re only allowed to buy a certain amount a month. They only sell it at pet stores and I'm not allowed in any of the local ones anymore.

It wasn't my fault it had a bad affect with me… and I stay away from it now. Running down a busy interstate on a catnip high was bad enough. It was the skipping and meowing around that sent the bad into embarrassing. Anyway that had happened when I was fifteen so it's confidential, and after I turned eighteen my slate was wiped clean, and it sorely needed cleaning.

But life just isn't fare; I have to put up with a lot of poop from those hairless walking prudes. Since I walk and talk and can do arithmetic’s and have thoughts of my own I had to go to school with them. I was the pea that distorted the pod. There were shape shifters in school but that isn't what I was, I was me, Juliet Felinis. A walking inspiration. Okay they called me Catgirl but still isn't that inspirational, I could so kick catwoman’s butt.

Being brought into civilization at the age of fourteen after my parents died was a shocker, so many walking meals, I mean... meanies around. Well I did reign myself in fairly well and adjusted as well as a Roamer could, living in a home with shifters. Whatever being believed that shifters would be a good influence on me must've been a human because they were so wrong.

The shifter family that I lived with until adulthood, the Stevenson’s were a crazy bunch including the fact that they turned into wolves, that is they were werewolves. Me, a wonderful Roamer living with wolves, it was sacrilege but they grew on me and likewise. Mr. and Mrs. Stevenson only had sons, five of them and was I glad to be the only female after all if they had a daughter we would have killed each other.

The boys and that is what I liked to call them boys, were wild and all those little incidents I had gotten into were because of them. They liked to say I was the instigator but ha, as if. It was all them. Larry had been the oldest out of all of us a year older than me and he was a the mean one, coming in second was Tanner who was the same age as me, needles to say we got along the least, and in school it was worse. Then there were the three little terrors, the Stevenson’s triplets. Little monster, had to love them they came up with the most viscous scams. They were three years younger than me but they were inspiring, we got along ever so well. Jacob, Stan, and William, I have no clue which one was the first born and I really didn’t care because William was the leader out of those three, first born or not.

Ah the thing things we did together, the chaos we created, now those are good memories.

Well back to the present, I’m on probation for biting yes that is true. I have been nipping since I first came into civilization, it just that last year I started working as a bouncer in this really hip club. I really had no qualifications for the job but they took one look at my claws and teeth and well the rest of my superb body and hired me on the spot. It doesn’t hurt that I am an impressive six-foot.

Well I believe I had found my calling, work wise, and tossing out the disrupters was very fun especially when they decided to fight me. It’s just that then The Illusion was beginning to draw some not so human clubbers, and when they give me trouble I naturally took it farther than I would have with a human. After all the males were the same size as me or bigger, and the disruption was usually over a human female. So to let them know I was no pushover and that I was a natural predator I let them glimpse a bit of my true wild nature. After a rough tussle that left me usually tossing them out onto their faces and into the black asphalt they knew better than to try fighting me again. Female Roamer I was, weak, in their dreams.

In those incidents sometimes I bit but it was never that bad, and after all, like they would really report it. Pride kept their mouths shut and they were paranormal beings they usually had been through a lot worse than a bite that would undoubtedly leave scars.

Then one night we got werewolf, one who was turning violent. I spent my adolescent years in a house with them, easy pickings. I had walked over and too show my teeth.

The fist thing I had noticed was how big he was, he had five inches on me and almost a hundred pounds looking more like a biker, not the sleek type of paranormal that usually came in. The problem was as usual a human female, who most likely played coy and got him all tuned up then stuck her nose in the air. Stupid she shouldn’t have made the invitation if she wasn’t going to follow through on it. By first glance it seemed that she had and know he wouldn’t take no for an answer, a human man was playing night in shining armor and about to get his waxed ass kicked.

When I when I reached them the Were was lifting back a fist the size of a ham and about beat the crap out the little human. I, being the quick witted feline reached out and grabbed the fist before it could make contact and let my claws sink into his skin.

He had growled at me, and yanked his bleeding fist out of my grip then proceeded to call me all those ugly, mean names that were reserved just for Roamers, and I took that personal. Usually I ignored it the name calling came with the job after all but these were things I had never been called before and I understood every one of them. A red haze had grown within me.

Being a shifter he had recognized my growl as one of a challenge, and he had been looking for a fight, I was much more of a challenge than the human male. He had attacked first.

Needless to say we cleared the dance floor. I had gone wild, literally. I reverted to my animal side and let it take over, with pure instinct guiding me, goading me to go for his throat with my teeth. Well I didn’t quite latch onto his throat, but I did tear out a chunk of flesh from his shoulder and I probably wouldn’t have been arrested if I had just let the meat fall from my mouth.

Instead I ate it.

That was the beginning of my troubles, probation, O’Donnell, therapy, and the nick name. Well the nick name I actually liked, Snagtooth, it sounded like I had bad teeth but it actually came to be because I had a piece of the leather jacket from the Were stuck between my teeth. Yes, I bit through his leather jacket and I ate the piece that I had bitten off.

I’m even more popular at work now, and I was growing quite an impressive reputation among my fellow Otherworld beings. Despite my somewhat aggressive reputation I was really a nice Roamer just as long as someone doesn’t call me any of those ugly names that the Were had then I was quite civil, and therapy was working out quite well.
© Copyright 2007 shygurl (shygurl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1252912-Snagtooth-Part-One