*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1253088-Dark-Times-Episode-1---The-Beginning
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1253088
Dark Times is a current day sci-fi drama that is released in episode format.
 
Dark Times

Episode 1
The Beginning


          In the not to distant future…

          In a back alley in Manhattan the rain is coming down out of the heavens as if God were trying to flood the earth.  A man sitting in a car, the only thing to keep him company is a .45 caliber pistol, a sword and the Holy Bible sitting in the passenger side seat and of course the shadowy figure in the back seat.  The glossy glare of the eyes were the only thing that could be seen in the rear view mirror.  The flashes of lightning revealed only the color, a deep blue that could pierce a mans heart. 
          For any normal person this might give them a bad case of the willies but for David Frost that glare was all he needed to understand the hate behind them and the fear that swelled in that person with every passing moment.  The constant thudding on the roof of the black sedan was deafening which only intensified this stare down.
          The driver’s hands are bloody and sitting on the dash are two blood stained 9mm. slugs staring back at him almost mocking him.  There is a bump and a perfect round silver circle right above David’s right eye brow.  With a grunt of pain another 9mm. slug falls from David’s forehead landing in his palm without a sound.  The blood flows from the head wound like water from a spigot. 
          David lays the bullet on the dash with the other two.  A pool of blood gathering underneath the bullets is now spilling down over the CD player.  The flow of blood from the wound is beginning to decrease and then as suddenly as it began it stops.  The sides of wound start to close and soon there is nothing more than blood speckled flesh where the hole used to be.
          Now with his body once again lead free David can think clearly.  He stares at the Bible.  He begins to recite his favorite verse in his head when images of the crucifixion flood his mind, all memory is lost.  David again checks the rear view mirror, still there, still glaring back at him.  His gaze then goes to the ceiling but he isn’t looking at the ceiling, he’s looking through the ceiling into the heavens.  His eyes come back down locking onto the figure in the back seat.
          “Why me Lord?” David whispers with his raspy voice. 
          His voice broke the silence like the thunder had been doing all night.  The eyes in the rear view mirror blinked. 
          David looks to the passenger side seat, this time to the sword.  The sword that was like an extension of his own arm, the sword that was the only thing that he could rely on in these dark times.  The blade was 20” in length that slightly curved in true Asian style.  The blade was razor sharp on one side but blunt on the other with a small notch were the blade meet the hilt.  Long enough for one hand, the hilt was wrapped in black leather straps and the guard was very small.  On the bottom of the hilt was an insignia.  A circle spilt into four parts with a triangle on one side and two half circles on the other. This sword, obviously of Asian decent, was made to be concealed easily.  The scabbard was no where to be found. 
          David reaches for the pistol.  A silver government issued .45 caliber Automatic Colt Pistol with brown wooden handle grips.  With a swift flowing motion the ammo cartridge ejects out of the bottom of the grip into David’s waiting hand.  He puts the empty cartridge onto the seat and grabs a full one from his belt. 
          Hollow points, these bullets are made to kill, he thinks to himself.  David slides the cartridge into the pistol and clicks the slide release lever chambering a round into the muzzle. 
          “They might still be after us” David says, his voice sounding reassuring.
He glances at the eyes once more, then back to the gun.  Putting the safety back on, he places the pistol into his hip holster.   
          A soft women’s voice breaks the silence, “Why is all of this happening?”
         David’s eyes meet the piercing blues in the rear view mirror.  Now he doesn’t see the hate that was once there.  He sees desperation and concern. 
          Glancing down into his lap, David feels a tear fall from his left eye.  He allows it to roll down his face unchecked embracing the moment.  David pauses before he answers, allowing his mind to soak up all the fear before he says a word. 
          “Why?...” David whispers with a slight chuckle under his breath.  David repeats the question in his mind.  Why is this happening?
          David coughs up some blood and spits into his hand.  Looking down into his palm he tries to find an answer.  He wipes the blood on the passenger seat and looks into the rear view mirror yet again.
          “Let me tell you…”

          To be continued…

© Copyright 2007 Christopher Lee (powercat_63 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1253088-Dark-Times-Episode-1---The-Beginning