*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1254478-Under-EdibleTables
Rated: E · Chapter · Mystery · #1254478
The underground of highschools, where secrets are buried alive & society's rules forgotten
I glanced down the hall to see if any authority figures awaited me, there was none that I could tell so I walked on. Little neon flyers littered the school hallways like flower petals at a wedding.

 Derek Norbert Powers snickered to himself at the delight of a prank. He had always been a rebel since he could walk and talk.

 He could not deny that he didn’t enjoy wreaking havoc or pranking people, quite frankly that was pretty much the lone reason he got up every morning. He could feel the music vibrate in the floor before he heard it. He glanced at his tuxedo making sure it was perfectly clean so as not to arouse suspicion.
Like they wouldn’t know it was him anyway, all he needed was an alibi.

 The students of North Valley High School spilled out of the door in small streams and herded into the double wide doors like elegant elephants. He joined them looking at all the girls in their pretty dresses and all the boys in there uncomfortable suits.

 He entered the gym doors and mused at the sights of people dancing and making fools of themselves.

 It was winter formal. Everyone and every thing was dolled up just for the occasion. Derek spotted the buffet table that was longer than the width of his bedroom and smiled.

 The twins were probably already there or dancing with their girlfriends. And Yogurt was most likely getting a swirlie in the boys locker room. He smirked looking at the ontrey of everything he could ever possibly want and grabbed a handful of everything.

 “DEREK?” Derek cringed at the shrillness of his own name and dropped all the food he had in his hands.

 “DERKIE POOH!?!” It came again. He looked for an exit but found people blocking his way. He did the only thing that he could think to do, he ducked under the clothed table and waited her out.

 “Derek?” Red heels clicked the tile and stopped at the table. “Where did he go?” The red heels turned in a full circle and then went left.

 He smirked in victory and let out a sigh of relief. His ears perked at a weird sound coming from next to him, like a muffled sniff. He glanced to his right and was surprised to see a girl in a black dress with her knees pulled to her chest and her head buried in her arms.

 Derek cleared his throat and her head flinched and she looked up. The first thing he noticed was the brilliant blue eyes.

 They were like a beacon of light in pitch black, it awed him for a moment but only a moment because he saw the red on her pale cheek.
Derek ignored it and looked back at her eyes grinning.

 "Hiding as well?" He asked, she looked a little scared and then relaxed a wee bit.

 "No, your dodging , I'm hiding." She smiled.

 "No, no I like the floor decorations under here." He pointed to the neon flyers and then glanced at the underneath of the gum ridden table.

 "Oh and look they went all out this year, the ceilings even all dolled up."
Derek watched her lips turn up and smile at his joke.

 "I think it might even be edible." She retorted referring to the many colors of gum littering the under side of the table.

 "What will they think of next?" Derek laughed playing along.
© Copyright 2007 A.E. Anne (thoreau at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1254478-Under-EdibleTables