*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1255090-Untitled-so-far
Rated: 13+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1255090
I do not know if I am a skilled writer, so please review and let me know.
"Do you honestly think this is going to work man?" asked Raziel.
"Of course it will. Just throw the damn rock like I told you!" replied Aaron.
Raziel grips the rock tightly in his hand, and whips it out towards the middle of the lake.
"What the hell was that!" Aaron asked.
"I threw the rock like you told me too..."
"No, you didn't. You basically tried to kill a goose in the pond. Watch again"
Aaron picks up a rock, and tosses it towards the edge. It skips across the water 4 times before sinking.
"See? Now try it again."
Raziel searches for a rock to try once more.
"No no, don't use a big one like that. Here, take this one. See how its shaped? All flat and stuff? That means it will skip easier. Now try!"
Raziel takes a big sigh, grips the rock one more time, and throws it. It skips 3 times before sinking to the bottom of the pond.
"I did it! I skipped a rock! Thanks big brother! Now we can tell mom!" cheered Raziel.

Raziel and Aaron head home through the woods.
"Ireland is really a beautiful place when you look at it from up high Raz." spoke Aaron.
"Ya think?" retorted Raziel.
Aaron looks at him with a sly grin.
"No. I know! I've been high enough to look down, and its fascinating. I told Mom and Dad to go check it out, but you know them. They are getting old."
"Yea, they are older then the pyramids!"
Aaron laughs. "You really are something little Raz."

They head home slowly, enjoying the scenery. Aaron shows Raziel the shortcuts he knows all throughout the cities and towns, hiding in the shadows were many people do not go these days.
"Aaron, these shortcuts are scary. What if we get mugged? Mom says criminals are always around these areas of town, and thats why I'm not supposed to go there!"
"Oh hush. Mom is just superstituous. Besides, I know these pathways like I know myself! We'd never get into trouble!"
Aaron laughs manically and dashes ahead of his brother.
"Aaron! Slow down! I can't keep up!"
"C'mon Raz! You're never going to get faster if you can't keep up with me!"
Aaron started to speed up, and Raz was falling behind. Aaron turned around and ran backwards.
"I'm running backwards and you can't keep up! Haha!"
Raziel looks up towards his brother, who he loved so much. He couldn't understand why his brother would pick on him this way. It was roughly 7 o'clock on a summer evening, and it was getting dark, but Raziel's thoughts quickly diminished from sad to worried. He saw a shadow come from ahead of his brother. Aaron was still running backwards so he could not see it. Raziel went to shout at his brother, but he couldn't. He was out of breath.
"Haha, c'mon Raz!" Aaron starts to turn around, and runs straight into the shadow.
He stops dead in his tracks, and stands there.
As Raziel keeps to stay at a good pace, he can't go any longer, and stops to shout.
He still can't breathe very well, and looks ahead, as he sees Aaron get down on his knees. The shadow seems to run away, and disappears really fast.
"Aaron! Aaron!!" Raziel squeaks.
Aaron has fallen onto the ground, motionless.
Raziel musters his strength and runs to Aaron. When he reaches him, he sees where Aaron lies the allyway has turned crimson with blood. He turned Aaron over and saw the large silver blade, shaped like a dragon, sticking out of his brother's chest. Raziel was stunned. The shadow reappeared slowly, and quickly proceeded to Raziel. Raziel could think of nothing else but to cry, as the shadow quickly moved forward in his direction.
"Honey, wake up!" speaks the shadow.

Raziel awakens screaming.
"Razzy, whats wrong? Did you have a nightmare again?"
"Mom, I had the dream again...."
Raziel's mother sighs.
"When will you forget that dream already hun? It has been over 10 years since your brother was killed! I know its difficult to live with, but sweetie, the past can't be changed."
Raziel pouts, and lies back in his bed.
"Oh no you don't! You need to get ready to help your dad today! You told him you would!"
"But mooooo-"
"Don't but mom me! Your father is 58, he needs all the help he can get with his job lately.
Raziel grunts and falls out of the side of his bed. He prepares himself to work all day with his father in the fields. He stares out the window and adores the beautiful sun rising over the sea, reflecting its light across the water. He listens to the gentle breeze, as it blows the grass around in a wavy motion.
"Nothing like Ireland scenery from up high..." Raziel whispers.
Raziel throws on some clothes and heads outside to meet with his father.
"Ah! There you are! Its 7am already sleepyhead!" his father says.
"Dad, I had the dream about Aaron again."
His dad looks at him and grabs him by the shoulder.
"I'm sorry son. You're 18 now. It happened 10 years ago. Some things you just need to get over. You can't dwell upon what you could have done back then, now. Its just not the way to live."
"Yea, I know..." Raziel sighs. "Anyways, what kind of work am I doing today?"
His father grins. "You'll be happy to know we aren't doing any work today! I worked extra fast yesterday to spend a day with you. I haven't been able to for a really long time."
"Really? Great. I got up to see my dad who I see everyday..." Raziel mutters.
His father loses his smile. "Son, I haven't really been able to eat dinner with you for over 3 years now. I have a lot of work to put into this family. I worked extremely hard last night that I didn't even eat so I could be with you. Just this one day, please."
"Alright...what are we doing then?"
His dad smiles again. "C'mon, follow me."
They go across the fields, through the thick grass, and through the woods. Eventually the reach a plateau about 10 miles from their house.
"Son, I used to come here a lot, when I was either sad, happy, or with your mother. This place is very special to me, and I'll show you why."
Raziel was never allowed out of his house, except when he was going to school, or with his brother when he was little. The view was beyond that of which words can describe to him.
"This place is awesome dad."
"Just wait until the sun sets."
It was 4 o'clock in the afternoon. His dad was asking him questions all day long.
"So how did you finish school? I knew you were getting good grades, but what about graduation? How was it?"
"Eh, it was ok. I kind of miss school though."
His dad laughs. "Well I would too if I had nothing but straight A's all year, every year! Plus, you're a handsome fellow, I'm sure the ladies were very interested in you.
Raziel blushes. "Oh shush dad. You know I never brought home a girl."
"Doesn't mean you didn't have one." His dad nudges him and laughs.
They continue to look out towards the sea, in a quiet moment. Finally his dad asks him.
"Son, has your mother ever had a discussion with you, about me?"
"What do you mean dad?"
"Well....son, your 18 now. I think its about time you know something. You're adopted, Raziel. Were not your real family."
"Heh, I always knew that anyways."
His dad looks puzzled. "How did you know? Did someone tell you?"
"No, just look at our faces. Look at our shape, your eyes, everything. I look nothing like you. Theres no way I could be your son."
His dad laughs. "Sometimes I forget you're a diagnosed genius Raz. I really do. But enough questions, look above!"
He points towards the sky, and shows him the sun glaring over them.
"Whats so special about the sun dad?"
His dad smiles again. "Follow me."
They follow the edge of the cliff until the reach a slope. There is many trees heading down it, which they used as handles to get to the bottom without falling. Once they reach the beachline, his dad says,
"Hurry up! Or were going to miss it!"
They jog back towards the way they came, and they stop at a large rock sticking out of the ground.
"I put this here many years ago Raz. This is the place where I discovered so much about myself and gave me new meaning to life. I want to show you because....well, I'm getting old, which I know you've heard many times. But I've been having heart problems Raz. I'm not going to live forever, and I want you, the only son I've ever really had to know about it."
As the sun slowly sets, Raziel grows impatient.
"What exactly are we waiting for, anyways?"
"The sun needs to charge it Raz, just wait." His dad looks out into the ocean smiling.
Raziel grows a puzzled look on his face.
"Dad, charge? What the hell are you charging? I don't even see anything remotely close enough to be 'charged'."
His dad speaks nothing, but just smiles into the depth of the horizon, descending past the waters to end another day. Raziel can hardly wait any longer and blurts out,
"DAD! Tell me! It's getting dark now and we still need to walk home!"
"Do you not see it? You're not paying attention hard enough."
Puzzled once more, Raziel looks around. He can't see a thing from sheer excitement, and looks at his father to see what he is staring at. He catches his eyes staring into the water, and follows them to the spot in the water.
"What is it?"
"It's the stone, son. It's a stone that has been there for eons as far as anyone knows. You can never see its glimmer in the day time, but at night, you can always see it. Some believe it's a stone from ancient gods long ago, kept to mark yet another milestone of beauty for all to look at and be in a state of nirvana. Others believe it's a stone that is charged by the sun, believed to not exist. I agree with the sun stone theory, though....I can never see it in the daytime and its too far down to even attempt to go after it..." his dad states with a sigh.
"It's really not that far dad." Raziel says as he studies the water. "Just look at the way its reflecting off the water. See how you can't see a long shine from where it lies to the top of the water? That means it's pretty close. I'd estimate about 50 feet deep, and maybe 100 feet out there."
Amazed, his dad jumps to his feet.
"You're not messing with me, are you?"
"No dad, just look. Here, I'll go after it."
Raziel takes off his sandals and shirt and wades into the water for a proper place to dive.
"You need some meat and muscle on you boy. You've got barely any of either!"
"Oh hush Dad, I'm thinking of where to go down."
Raziel swims as light as possible, and lines himself over the stone. He takes a large breath, and heads into the water. He'd never been to this area, nor had he been underwater at night. The corals around him where beautiful, and the fish, the plants, everything seemed as wonderful as could be. As his eyes caught the glanders of the sea floor, he felt a sudden urge. A sharp pain coming from inside.
"I hate cramps.." Raziel thought to himself, but as he pursued deeper, he began to realize this wasn't a cramp. It started to burn inside him. He felt like he was going to die in the water. Raziel desperately needed to go back to the surface, but something made him push on. He wanted that stone, more then he wanted anything. He could feel the stone, caressing it in his hand, yet it was still deeper. Raziel was grimacing from the burning sensation he was getting, and his head was starting to pound, like it was going to explode. He gulps now and then, for the searing pain is too much to handle, but finally, the bright white stone was grasped, and he swam as fast as possible to the surface.
His dad looked anxiously into the water when he saw the bright light disappear.
"Did he really get it...?" his dad whispered. As Raziel breached the top of the water, he no longer felt any pain at all inside him. He felt completely normal.
"You got it!! You got the stone!" his dad cheered as Raziel swam to the shore.
"Yea, I did....but I felt extremely weird while going down there dad...I felt like I was on fire."
"On fire? Oh nonsense. It's water!" his dad chuckled.
"Dad, I know what I'm talking about. It started to fade as soon as I grabbed the stone....maybe something's weird with the stone. I felt like I was on fire, and my brain was pounding so hard.."
"I'm sorry son, but that sounds too weird! It's just a stone! Now open your hand!"
As Raziel forgot about the pain, he opened his hand, and there shining brightly was the stone. It was a luscent color, bright but dull. It could be a light source if needed, but not for long. It was perfectly sphered, much like a pearl.
"It's more beautiful then it looks in the water." his dad said.
"Yea....it was worth it now that I think about it," Raziel smiles as he holds the stone, but clasps it and starts walking home. "but mom will kill us if we aren't home soon dad! Let's go!"
Raziel takes off and dashes up the hill. His dad doesn't follow immediately, though. He stares out into the ocean some more, before finally wiping the smile from his face. He knew his life span wasn't going to last much longer. Raziel does not know his father has been diagnosed with a tumor on his spine, making his days limited. Proper handling and teachings of such tumors have not become worldwide, and his family does not contain the money to bring him to such hospitals. And as his last look upon the ocean, he sheds one solitary tear, to drift into the salty sea of fellow droplets.
"Dad, what shall we do with the stone? It's very special to us, how should we keep it?"
"Well son, since you went in and got it, you get to keep it. It has always amazed me how beautiful that stone was, and how far away it always seemed...but the genius boy proved me wrong! Haha!"
Raziel smiles. "Oh dad, I'm really not that smart."
His dad stops and looks at him.
"Son, you're probably one of the brightest boys on Earth. The doctor even said so when we brought you in as a child. He said your learning abilities and knowledge power seemed to be limitless at your age. Even last visit, he has said you control almost the entire right side of your brain! I don't really know what any of that means, but I know you are one hell of a smart kid Raz. And you better take care of it, and nuture it."
"My right side huh? Hrm. That's weird. Anyways....so I can really hold onto the stone? It's so pretty....I'd feel guilty having it to myself."
"Don't worry about it, Raz. Just show your mother. She'd love to see it again, too."
Raziel and his father walk across their fields of swaying grass. It's pretty late in the evening, close to saying goodbye to the day, and hello to tomorrow. Raziel bursts into the house screaming,
"Mom! Mooooom!"
He pauses for an answer.
"MOOOOOOM!"
He pauses again, and hears a faint voice.
"What do you want you pain in the ass?"
Raziel laughs and heads downstairs. He skips over every other step, and jumps to the ground.
"Behold! I have captured a piece of the moon!"
He holds out his hand and opens it, revealing the stone. His mother stares at him.
"Son, what is wrong with you? It is just a rock."
Raziel laughs and says, "No no ma, you need to look!"
"But I am looking, right at it."
Raziel opens his eyes and sees the stone. It is no longer a faded and dull white light. It has become a pitch black stone. As black as the midnight sky, void of stars and moon.
"Aww. It's glow must have faded on the way back." Raziel sighs. He slinks up the stairs to his room, and places the stone in his trusty storage chest, hidden inside his mattress. He has stored many a things that hold true value to him in there. His newly acquired stone, a rock that was skinny and shaped like an "A", his lucky penny from 1674, and the bottom is coated in blue sand.
"Greg, what is up with Razzy today? What, with that stone and all?"
"Didn't you see it Beth? It was the Sun Rock we always used to see at the bottom of the ocean on the beachline."
Beth stares at him.
"You brought him to the place where he was conceived?! Greg!"
Greg laughed and replied, "Haha, not to worry. He doesn't know who his real parents are still. I almost don't want to tell him..."
"He knows he's adopted then?" Beth questioned.
"Yea, I told him tonight. He already knew, he said, but I'm sure he has no idea about his real parents. I think he likes to avoid thinking about it, Beth. The boy seems....so capable, of many, incredible things. But he is still weak. His brother's death, really hindered his entire life."
"Well he needs to get over that now." Beth retorted. "The boy will get no where, and no where quick if all he can think about is his lifeless brother."
"Honey, the kid was traumatized. He was only 8!"
"I still don't care. My mother died when I was 10, and I moved on."
"Yea, and now look at you. You're a witch!"
As they bickered about, Raziel came downstairs slowly and listened to them fighting. Ignoring them both, he whispered,
"Eh, old people never change." He opened the fridge and grabbed his cold dinner, and went back upstairs.

After Raziel finished eating, he snatched the remote from his desk, turned on the TV, sat back in his bed and watched. The news was on. It was updating him with the current events. The weather would be particularly cold out tomorrow, and how the bank robber was caught. He also learned about new areas popping up around the globe, new technology, and important people. As his eyes grew heavy, the news caster lured him into a sleep, whispering thoughts and images of melting walls surrounding him, and abominations crawling across his house, which smashed his windows to prey upon him and his family. The blades of grass turned into knives, and the trees transformed into giants engulfed in flames. Everything was narrowing down on Raziel, trapping him in a corner, to be eaten alive by the crawlers, burned and charred, with skin peeling off his bones, and sliced into pieces from the blades. With a jolt of adrenaline, the news reported sparked up another 1 way conversation about the President of USA.
"I need to stop having nightmares.." Raziel uttered. "I can't ever grow up if I'm scared of sleeping in the dark."
A idea popped through Raziel's head, and he leaned over to his treasure chest. He opened it, and took out the stone he had found earlier that day. Glaring at it and grasping it for dear life, he closed his box and stored it safely into his mattress. He turned off the TV, and got under his blankets. Holding the stone still, he closed his eyes.
"This better work," he said, and was once again, lured into a dreamland.

A bright light shined all around him, white flourescent light. Bliding, almost, but it did not bother his eyes. Floating to the the never-ending abyss of white, he saw things chasing him down from the heavens. Trees, grass, everything around his house. Water, leaves, even the stones which formed the roads he traveled on almost everyday, fell into perfect place.
'Is this a dream? Everything seems so....real.'
Laying his foot onto the land, he made no imprints on the soil. As he walked around his house, he noticed many new things he had never seen before, but everything seemed, younger.
'Where the hell am I?'
Two young adults lay in the grass, near the edge of the fields. As he walked towards them, he noticed they seemed to never get closer. He tried to speed up, attempting to jog, and even run, but realized its useless. Staring and squinting, he looked. He saw a beautifully shaped women, and a built looking man, yet no faces. The sun was staring at him from the exact same direction, preventing him from getting a picture in his head. The two kissed, and fell off the side of the cliff. Raziel attempted to run again, and flew forward to the edge of the cliff, with one step. He stared down the fall, seeing no one at the bottom.
'This has to be a dream. This is beyond reality. But....why does it feel like I can act, if I were awake?'
A large bell could be heard in the distance, and it grew increasingly loud every second. It sounded almost like a robot crow, squawking over and over.
Snapping out of his dream, Raziel hits the snooze button on his alarm clock.
"So it was a dream," he mumbled, opening his hand, empty.
"Where'd the stone go?" Raziel frantically searches his bed, but no luck. He checks under his bed, around his room, anywhere it could have fallen during the night, but to no avail.
Raziel ponders for a second, and gets a random thought. Hesistant at first, he sticks his hand into the bed, and grabs his treasure chest. Opening it slowly, the stone is sitting right in the middle of the blue sand.
"How did it get back in here..." His mind boggled, and his stomach begging, he sets aside his worries and goes downstairs for breakfast. The smell of eggs and bacon is filled in the kitchen.
"Hey dad, what'cha making for breakfast?"
"Can you not smell the delicious bacon and eggs, dear Raz?" Greg said.
"Dad, can I tell you something without you thinking I'm crazy?" Raziel inquired.
"Why sure son, fire away," his dad spits out while focusing on the bacon and eggs.
"Remember that stone we got yesterday? The "moon stone" as you call it?"
"Yes, I do."
"Well, last night I went to sleep with it, in my hand. Now, I had a real dream for once. It was incredible. I haven't had a nightmare for the first night in my life for once, that I can remember. Anyways, I woke up, and I couldn't find the stone. At all! Then a gut feeling told me to check my treasure case, and there it was. Sitting right in the middle of it." Raziel explained.
"Are you sure you even took it out of the case? Or was that a daydream as well?"
Raziel looked stumped. "I....I really don't know dad. Maybe it was? But, then how come I didn't have a nightmare!"
"Easy! You thought you were sleeping with confidence for once. You thought the stone would work some kind of magic. Well, that confidence made your dream, a dream!"
Raziel was still puzzled.
"Maybe you're right."
"Perhaps I am! Now here, eat some eggs and bacon."


"How is he Doc?" Greg asked.
"Well, he's doing alright. Nothing wrong with him, just a growing boy." replied Doctor Soli.
"Is he still, well, a genius and all? Is he still the smart kid we know?" Beth asked.
"Of course. He shows even more promise nowadays. Like I said when the child was young, his knowledge power seems limitless sometimes."
"Hmph. If he's so damn smart, he should forget about his brother." Beth snobbed.
"Ah yes, you still hustliing and bustling over Aaron, Beth?"
"No, but Razzy won't stop having nightmares about the day he was with his brother. It worries me, and bugs me."
"Did they ever find out any information about that killer yet?" Greg blurted.
"Yes, actually. New technology lately helped us crack down on it. It was a few years ago actually, but you haven't been here for about that long. Sadly, it was just some homeless guy. He was doped up on something, and well, killed Aaron for being too loud."
"What about that knife? Raziel can describe it perfectly from his dream. Some no good, homeless bum would have a knife shaped like a dragon!" Greg forced. "It's preposturous!"
"Well, he may have stole it. Nobody really knows there. Nobody will admit to ever owning such a knife, for you know what it stands for, and nobody knows where he got it from."
"The technology is wrong. Aaron's death is still not solved." Greg whispered softly.
"If you want MY opinion, Mr. O'Riley," said Soli. "It was more then likely a gang member, who wields such knifes. Aaron was always a mischievious person. He probably got involved with some of them, or stole from them, and gangs don't take thieves very kindly."
"Maybe. Nobody else would have access to such a weapon." Beth chimed in with support for Soli. "I'll tell Raziel as soon as I can. That boy needs to get over it!"
They stare at Raziel through the glass as he lies motionless on a table in an operating room.
"When will he wake up? I don't see why he wants to be sedated when he comes from these visits." Greg said.
"Some patients take comfort in, well, comfort Mr. O'Riley." Soli explained. "Maybe he has no dreams when he is sedated. You have been mentioning problems about him and dreams lately, have you not?"
"Yes, we have. It bugs all of us, but I'm sure he'll get over it." Beth said.
Slurring from his slumber, Raziel wakes up on the bed. Looking around with blurred vision, he remembers being in the white room. Blindly searching for his clothes, he takes off the apron and puts his jeans and sweater back on, and stumbles out the door.
"Can we go home now?" Raziel pleads.
Greg nods, and they head off home.
© Copyright 2007 Hermit~ (tetsujin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1255090-Untitled-so-far