*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1255153-Just-Another-Day
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Teen · #1255153
Friendless and lonely, Emma comes to a new school, and befriends an unlikely person
         Emma’s glasses fell onto the floor.  She bent down to pick up her black, square-rimmed glasses, only to drop her books across the tiled floor.  She sighed as she collected her large textbooks, quickly glancing around to see if anyone had seen her. The students of Merlot High went on bustling through the paper-infested halls, of club meetings and the up-and-coming Homecoming dance. 
         She was the new kid. The school seemed large to her, but she knew that once she got accustomed to all of the different lettered stairway, her father would tell her to pack up her stuff again.  Her mother was dead.  Brest cancer took her life when Emma was young, and the closest that Emma had to a mother figure was a maid that her father would hire for the several months that they stayed in one place. 
         She wasn’t very good at making friends.  She was shy and was not the one to strike up a conversation.  Besides the occasional sudden need for someone to talk to, she felt as if she didn’t need a friend.  She woke up early, went to school, came home, did her homework, ate, and went to bed; and that’s all she ever did. 
         There was nothing very exciting about her life, she had no relatives that she knew of…except for her father’s uncle, Donald. Donald was an old man, and reeked of gasoline.  He was always working on his car.  Emma went to visit him one time, in the summer of 1997.  Her father promised her to take her into the city, but “Something came up”, he said.  He was gone for several days, calling in to make sure she was okay.  She stayed home all day the first day and sat on the porch, watching Donald fix his Buick.  When she was tired of watching him, she asked if he would drive her into the city.  He said no. He said he was fixing his car. 
         Once she picked up her books, she slipped out a wrinkled paper from her pocket and scanned it, looking for her next class.  Room 48…Spanish, she thought, I hate Spanish.  She wandered the halls long after the bell had rung.  As Emma continued down the hall, she heard a quiet whisper and stopped.  She turned around quickly and scanned the hallway.  Seeing nothing, she turned around and wished that someone would turn up so she could ask for directions.  Emma continued to walk and heard the whisper again.  Around the corner was a slender brunet girl, inches away from a boy, whispering into his ear.  He smirked and the two kissed.  She began to open her mouth, but decided against it.  She looked away and continued walking. 
         Emma finally found room 48, after several more minutes of searching. She wrapped her hands around the cool door knob and slowly opened the door.  The woman in front stopped talking and everyone turned their head toward her.  It reminded her of the time her father was stationed in South Africa.  She had to go to school and the first time she entered the small schoolroom, everyone stared at her, white as snow and everyone else black as night. 
         Emma walked up to the women and showed her schedule.  The woman had straight ebony hair that hung down to her shoulder, which seemed to resemble the woman’s thin frame.  The woman extended her long bony fingers and snatched it from Emma’s extended hand. 
         “You can sit behind Kale in the fourth row.”  Emma took her schedule back and started across the room, all eyes still on her.

(this is what I have so far and I will continue to add)
© Copyright 2007 bauer35 (kp89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1255153-Just-Another-Day