*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1259476-elie-wiesel
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Draft · Other · #1259476
about elie wiesel
Thesis Statement
Elie Wiesel’s (1) biographical work Night has affected modern views of (2) Jewish persecution, (3) the holocaust, and the (4) condition of the concentration camps.

Outline
I. Introduction
A. Basis
B. Thesis statement
II. Wiesel’s History
A. Childhood
B. Writing career
III. Jewish Persecution
IV. Holocaust World War II
a. Cause
b. Events
V. Concentration Camps



Introductory Paragraph

Elie Wiesel is widely seen as a noble, brave man. Over the years he has written many influential works, which are widely known. He is most recognized work is the novel Night which tells of his experiences in WWII and the holocaust. His life has been so exceptional; he has made such an impact on modern views, and has such distinctive writings, that he was awarded the Nobel Peace prize in 1986. Elie Wiesel’s biographical work Night has affected modern views of Jewish persecution, the holocaust, and the condition of the concentration camps.











Elie Wiesel
Elie Wiesel is widely seen as a noble, brave man. Over the years he has written many influential works, which are widely known. He is most recognized work is the novel Night which tells of his experiences in WWII and the holocaust. His life has been so exceptional, he has made such an impact on modern views, and has such distinctive writings, that he was awarded the Nobel Peace prize in 1986. (who2.com) Elie Wiesel’s biographical work, Night, has affected modern views of Jewish persecution, the holocaust, and the condition of the concentration camps.
In 1928 Wiesel was born in Sighet, Transylvania. He was the third of four children, and the only son. (who2.com) Throughout his younger years he was a devout Jew. He followed the rules of the religion, and searched for a deeper understanding, unusual for his age. He was only fifteen when he and his family were taken from their home in Auschwitz, a concentration camp. He and his father were separated from his mother and three sisters. The two of them survived four concentration camps together before his father died of malnutrition and forced death. (Night) Only he and his two older sisters, Hilda and Batya, survived the war. (People of the Holocaust)
After the war Wiesel left Germany and went to France. Here he learned French and worked as a journalist for years before deciding to give account to the events of his war experiences. He finally decided to write in 1954, and then published in 1958. Since his first book, Night, Wiesel has written over thirty-five works. His writings are much to be admired. (People of the Holocaust)
Most all of Wiesel’s writings were in some form about Jewish persecution. Even before World War II began the Jews were persecuted by the Nazi government. The Nazis blamed the Jews for the loss of WWI. As Adolph Hitler was rising to power he had three goals, one was to “purify” Germany of “enemies of the state.” Jews were referred to as “germs” that made the healthy of Germany “sick.” Military would occasionally harass or attack Jews on the street. When the Nazi government came to control of Germany anti-Semitism became a way of life for Germans. Once Hitler came to absolute power in Germany, Nazis began brutally beating Jews in the street, and would even force them out of their jobs. The government proclaimed a national boycott of Jewish-owned stores. As a result of this horrid persecution, over fifty-three thousand Jews fled from Germany, seeking refuge in nearby countries. However a some sixteen thousand returned mostly because of the harsh conditions in the other countries. Despite the great persecution of the Jews, the war did not hurt only them. For example, the concentration camp Dachau only contained ten percent Jews. Other peoples persecuted were homosexuals and anyone not having the appearance of the average German, blonde hair and blue eyes. (Almanac)
In spite of the exponential number of writings by Wiesel alone, the exact cause of World War II cannot be accurately determined. Adolph Hitler is widely blamed for, and associated with the war. At the end of WWI Germany had to sign the Treaty of Versailles, which required Germany to take full responsibility for the war and cost them huge sums of money and land. This left the Germans feeling humiliated and vindictive. Thus when Hitler came along as a promise for control, many jumped on the idea. In 1933 Hitler became Chancellor, head of government, of Germany. Within months of him acquiring this role, the first permanent concentration camp was established. Over ten thousand opponents of the Nazi government were sent to this first camp, Dachau.
In 1934 Hitler came to the position of absolute rule and power over Germany after President Paul Von Hindenburg’s death. Only months after his gain of control Hitler began enlarging the army, violating one of the requirements of the Treaty of Versailles. Shortly thereafter he passed the Nuremburg laws that basically stripped the Jews of all their rights and alienated them. In September of 1939 the war officially began, involving the U.S., Japan, Germany, Italy, and Great Britain. In 1942 the “final solution” against Jews began, prisoners were gassed in Auschwitz. Things began to look bleak for Germany and its allies. Japan lost multiple wars, and the U.S. was advancing on many frontlines. After nearly four years of war decline, Adolph Hitler committed suicide in 1945. Only eight days later the new German government surrendered from the war.
(Primary Sources)
In addition, the conditions of the concentration camps were the farthest thing from humane. Prisoners were forced to do extensive amounts of work. With only small rations of hardly acceptable food and clothes. (Night) The captives slept in large rooms full of only rows of three-tiered bunks. Many died from exposure to the frozen, harsh climate of Germany. One part of Wiesel’s novel Night depicts a seen of some several hundred men running over twenty kilometers in one night, in the dead of winter. If a man slowed, for even moment, he was shot on spot without warning. Some concentration camps were used merely as extermination camps. It has been estimated that anywhere from eight hundred thousand to one point six million were killed in these concentration camps alone. (Encyclopedia)
Elie Wiesel has made a large, unforgettable impact on the world. Without his many depictions of the concentration camps, there would not be such a vivid tale to help us remember. People sadly seem to want to forget, and just move on. It’s writers like Elie Wiesel that will burn those images of persecution in our minds, so that hopefully it will not happen in such a widespread course again.








Works sited
~ Bigelow, Barbara C. WWII: Primary Resources U.X.L, 1999
~ “Elie Wiesel.” Who2.com. 2007. Who2. 23 April 2007 hhhhhttp://who2.com/eliewiesel.html>
~ “Elie Wiesel.” Xroads.virginia.edu. xroads. 7 May 2007
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CAP/HOLO/ELIEBIO.HTM
~ Feldman, George. WWII: Almanac: volume 1. U.X.L, 2000
~ Gutman, Israel. Encyclopedia of the Holocaust New York: Macmillian Publishing Co. 1990
~ Schmittrock, Linda and Mary Kay Roseteck: People of the Holocaust. U.X.L., 1998
~ Wiesel, Elie: Night. Hill and Wang, 2006
© Copyright 2007 Nicole Junstein (mg16chik at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1259476-elie-wiesel