*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1259924-Five-Minutes-Til--Alone
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #1259924
(Read Revelations first so you know what the countdown is)
“You know, they were all asking for it Bill” Jack said walking around the table, “if it wasn’t this then it was gonna be somthin’”
Bill blinked at Jack and continued to watch him pace back and forth.
“You know, global warming and that kind of shit” he said and grabbed his carton of cigarettes off the table, “where’s my fu… ahh there they are, almost got me to say  the worst word didn’t you Bill, hiding my matches”
He shook a cigarette out of the carton and tore off a match. He lit the cigarette and continued pacing.
“Yup, nobody was gonna do anything about it either, nope, everybody was just gonna go along with it, ‘let’s drive our SUV’s, not like anything bad can happen right’, asshole’s” he smiled and brought the cigarette up to his mouth, “and then there was that whole nuclear war thing” he said and took the cigarette away before he got a chance to smoke it.
“Yup, everybody knew it would happen sometime, just didn’t know when, everybody blamin’ old Georgey boy but could it have all been him, I mean you were the sorry sack of potatoes that voted for him buddy” he said and smiled again about to take another smoke.
He turned back towards Bill who was now licking his lips, “oh, I’m sorry are you hungry, well you’re the guest, whatd’ya say was your favorite, tuna fish sandwich alright” he jogged into the kitchen sparing a glance at the television screen on his way.
“Well would ya look at that, they got themselves a countdown clock, looks like its at three minutes twenty-seven seconds there ole buddy”. He got into the fridge and took out a partially open can of tuna fish, mixed it with mayonnaise and put it on some bread, by the time he got done the clock was three minutes three seconds.
He set the plate in front of Bill who began eating trying to avoid the bread.
“Allright, where was I, oh yeah, I was just getting’ off the George dubya and gettin’ on to, oh whats next, how about racism yeah, what about that” he said and picked up his cigarette again.
“That Al Sharpton man is one well cut character ain’t he, can never pin anything on him, all of those rally’s that go on in his name and those people who are killed during them, never hear about that, no just the all that talk about a white man sayin’ nappy on the radio, I mean your black and you weren’t offended none, were yah?” Jack was about to take a smoke when Bill’s plate fell off the table, Bill jumped away and by lookes of it just barely landed safely.
“Ah well, no need to worry ‘bout that, by looks of it we only got two minutes thirteen seconds give or take a couple” he said and laughed, “you got some tuna on yah, oh well on that front too I guess, you never really did care about keepin’ clean”
  He walked over to the chair and sat down.
Bill jumped up onto Jack’s lap and began to purr.
“Ya know Bill, I’ve always felt like you and I had some kind of special relationship, I could tell you pretty much anything and you never once would talk back or nuthin’” He wiped the tuna off of Bill’s tail.
“Well, I guess this is just about it ain’t it” he said watching the T.V. countdown, “only a minute left” he said petting the cat. He picked up his cigarette, examined it, and put it out on the wood table in front of him.
“Nasty habit” he said to Bill who’s only reply was his constant purr.
© Copyright 2007 Shmoopy (shmoopy7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1259924-Five-Minutes-Til--Alone