*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1260229-Broken
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1260229
This is a story mainly playing off of Beauty and the Beast but from a twisted angle.
I held my hands over the fire, then blew on them and rubbed them vigorously together until I could feel my blood circulate through my arms and fingers. Shivering, I wrapped my scarf closer around my neck, and ducked my chin beneath the collar of my jacket. Finally, I felt warm enough to coax my body out of the stables and out into the woods stretching throughout the estate. Icicles dangled off of branches nearby, and a seemingly nonstop gust of air whistled in my ears. Crisp snow lying delicately over the ground crunched under my boots as I made my way to the castle, stepping over roots and ducking the lower branches. Although the air held something of an ominous tone, the birds chirping nonstop and the whipping breeze streaming through the trees lightened the impression. Eventually, I could make out the outline of the castle and my pace immediately quickened.
         Then, out of nowhere, a man stepped onto the path directly in front of me. I abruptly halted and narrowed my eyes, examining him. His face was lined with wrinkles and his stooped shoulders certainly foretold of the hard life he had undoubtedly endured, and yet there was something more. A twinkle in his brown eye caught my attention, and slowly I nodded at him, unsure of a suitable reaction. One corner of his mouth turned upward as he cleared his throat. “Hello, miss,” he croaked, bowing shortly and then breaking into a deep, hacking cough. I dipped into a brief curtsy and returned the greeting. “I am traveling to a business meeting in Glenmore. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?”
         My eyes widened. “Sir, you are far off to making such a journey. Why, the nearest inn in that direction lays two days’ journey away.”
         His frame sagged and a deep sigh racked his body as he sadly shook his head. “I was afraid you would say that. Well, is there any shelter nearby that I can stay at for the night?”
         “Sir, I don’t know…” I uncomfortably said, ducking my head and shifting from foot to foot.
         “Where do you work? Would your master—,”
         “No,” I firmly cut in.
         Taken aback, he straightened and stroked his chin absently. “Maybe we can settle with a negotiation…” he surmised, trailing off.
         “I would not advise it.” My heart began to pump faster as a look of determination spread over the old man’s face.
         “Take me there and I’ll see what I can do. I see no other possible solution.” With that, he accompanied me on the brief remaining trek to the castle, and after stepping into the massive front hallway, I abandoned him there. His foolish choices were of no concern to me.
         The rest of the afternoon passed quickly and without notice. Darkness began to cast itself in shadows about the rooms, and I hurried to light candles in the hallways. Glancing at the clock to my right, I moved my hands quickly, striking matches and setting wicks aflame without care. I doubt the hallway could have set on fire and I would have stopped. But then, a horrid sound filled my ears and I felt my unstruck match fall from my trembling fingers. An unearthly scream resounded throughout the corridors. Shuddering, I dropped my pack of matches and stumbled into the servant’s wing until I collapsed into my cold, uncomfortable bed. The scream echoed in my head into the late hours of the night until I fell into a light, restless sleep.

         “Hailey, dear, wake up,” a soft, smooth voice caressed, weaving into my quickly fading dreams and persuading me awake. Streams of light filtered through my small window, and by degrees I could make out Patty’s face above mine. Yawning, I stretched my arms and then slowly sat up, feeling achy and not at all rested from my fleeting and inconstant sleep. “Did you sleep well?” my companion absently inquired, plumping her silver hair in our mirror and turning this way and that to scrutinize her appearance. Apparently pleased with the result, she beamed into the mirror and then turned towards me. “Well?”
         “Sure,” I muttered under my breath, swinging my legs over the edge of my bunk and hopping to the floor. Wincing from the surrounding cold, I snatched a shawl from one of my hooks and wrapped it around me, then motioned to Patty’s fancier-than-usual apparel. “What’s the occasion?”
         Patty drew taller and her smile grew with importance as she explained that she was going on a picnic with Chuck—and then I zoned out, quickly dressing and splashing my face with water, then braiding my long, black hair and tying it with a ribbon. After mumbling a farewell to Patty halfway through her speech, I scampered out into the hallway and down to the kitchen.
         As usual, the kitchen was full of commotion and near chaos. Gossip about last night’s scream flew back and forth, utterly confusing me, who probably knew the most information out of all of them. I heard one woman say that the sound might have come from a strange creature out in the woods, and another said it might have been the Master himself. My lips twisted into an amused smirk, and then I jumped into the confusion flooding the kitchen.
         It was my duty every morning to serve the Master breakfast, and so I set off with a steaming platter full of eggs, toast, and bacon. Winding through the hallways, I glanced cautiously around for any sign of the man from last night, but saw and heard nothing. Eventually I came up to the Master’s chambers and curtly knocked on the door. A gruff response sounded from behind it, so I pushed open the door and briskly entered. Immediately, I set the tray on his breakfast table and stepped aside, turning to study him. A sudden impulse overpowered me to sneer, but I held it back and settled for a small smirk.
         Master still lay in his bed, dressed in his nightclothes and frowning at me. “What time is it?” he demanded.
         “About nine o’clock sir, the exact time I visit you every morning for breakfast,” I cheerfully replied.
         He waved me away, but I didn’t budge. Sighing, he heavily clambered out of bed and to the table. Curiously, I observed him, as I usually did every morning while I waited for him to finish. His long, blond hair hung to his shoulders, completely entangled in knots. Large bags gathered underneath his blue eyes and made him seem much older than his 23 years. He had a thin, lean frame with a medium muscular tone to his arms and large, broad shoulders. But I was the only one who saw him this way.
         As Master dug ferociously into his meal, my mind traveled back to that day almost exactly eight years ago. It was my first day working there as a maid, and I had answered the door to only find a beggar there, hunched and grotesquely formed. Not knowing what to do, I ran to Master, who in that time was not such of a recluse, but instead often mingled with his neighbors and high society. One look at the lady, and he beamed down at her, kindly extending his hand to lead her into the house. The old woman hobbled in, limping and clutching her cloak fiercely around her shoulders, and gaping at the sights of the luxurious furnishings around her. She gasped at the rich, emerald green curtains flowing over the windows, and exclaimed over the delicate china displayed on a nearby table. Swiftly, Master (or Ash, as he was referred to in the old days) led her into the kitchen and sat her down at a table, then ordered the cooks to create a meal fit for a queen. He then sat across the table from her and inquired as to her doings, and then promised that he would help her find a suitable job so she could support her five children at home. Her meal consisted of a stack of large, fluffy pancakes, five eggs, three strips of bacon, and six sausage links. Apparently her stomach couldn’t contain half of it, which she profusely apologized about, but Ash simply wrapped up the remaining food into a basket and also packed some sandwiches and fruit for her to take along with her. At this magnanimous gesture, she burst into tears and kissed his hand, thanking him over and over. Kindly, he led her to a room and persuaded her to take a nap, afterwards ordering the servants to be very quiet when working around her room. Retiring to his study, he read a newspaper for the remainder of the afternoon, and at precisely three o’clock, he glanced up to find a gorgeous woman standing at his doorway. Startled, he fumbled to set his newspaper down and stood, asking who she was and why was she there. She graciously answered, “I am the woman you helped today. For all your kindness, I would like to present you with a gift.”
         Still in a daze, Ash stared at her unwittingly, and then slowly nodded in acquiescence. Smiling, the woman said, “I bestow upon you the gift of the kindest soul a man will ever possess, but the people who do not recognize this soul will forever view you as the ugliest man ever to live on Earth.” Shocked, Ash cried out in protest, but the woman held up her hand to stop him. “If their opinion changes, then their view of you changes, and they will see you as the handsome man you truly are. The only way to break this gift is for a woman who firsts views you as a monster to fall in love with your soul and agree to marry you.”
         “And the gift?” he asked desperately, falling to his knees.
         She smiled pityingly at him. “True love. For a woman who loves you for your soul is a gift beyond measure.”
         “Hailey.” Taken aback, I came out of my daydream and glanced over at Griffin, as he now demanded to be called. He stood in front of me, holding out his tray for me to return to the kitchen. My eyes nearly filled with tears as I recalled how he had used to be, handsome, well-mannered, and well-liked. But everyone had shunned him now, and he no longer cared about his appearance, for no one saw it anyways.
         No one besides me.

         A few days passed without sign of the old man, and I wondered exactly how long it would take before someone was sent after him, unless of course he was utterly alone. I was walking on the same path back to the castle one evening, when a young maiden cried out from behind me. Surprised, I turned and caught sight of her—her long, brown hair flowing wildly behind her as she stumbled over to me, gasping for breath. As she struggled to find words, I felt an immediate shock of jealousy and dislike spring up in me. Her slender figure finally straightened and she impatiently brushed away the silky hair hanging in her eyes, revealing a classically beautiful face. “Please, miss,” she pleaded. “Have you seen a man pass by here about a week ago?”
         “I have,” I coldly replied, shifting my weight impatiently from foot to foot.
         Tears welled up in her large, brown eyes and she suddenly broke into huge, racking sobs. I eyed her with disdain, and then asked, “Do you know him?”
         She nodded, clutching at a tree branch to regain her balance. “He’s my father. Please, do you know where he traveled to?”
         I shook my head. “No, the last time I saw him, he was at a castle up ahead.”
         Instantly her expression brightened. “Oh, would you know if he is still there?”
         Considering the question, I hesitantly nodded. “He might be.”
         The girl, who gave her name as Isabel, tramped beside me, eagerly chattering about her frantic search for her father. Her story fell on deaf ears, for I cared nothing about her plight or family issues. Nonetheless, she seemed to already view me as a friend, despite my silence and blank expression. We reached the gates encircling the castle, but before I unlocked them, I faced Isabel, and evil glint glimmering in my eyes.
         “Just to warn you, my master doesn’t exactly have the best…appearance. He’s not one to mess with,” I apologized, almost grinning at the spark of fear that shone in her eyes.

         No unearthly scream was heard that night; in fact, it was oddly silent throughout the evening. Finding the kitchen busy as usual the next morning, I shrugged off my eerie feeling and brought Master’s platter to his bedchambers as I was accustomed to. Just as I was turning the corner into the hallway leading to them, I bumped into a slight figure and almost toppled to the ground. At the last second, I caught myself and steadied my wobbling tray. Scowling, I looked up, an angry speech at the tip of my tongue, but all words faded as I stared into Isabel’s shaken face.
         “Oh, I am so sorry!” she copiously apologized, her hand covering her open mouth. “I was just about to search for you…”
         “Yes?”
         “Well, I couldn’t find this Master of yours last night, so eventually a maid settled me in a room for the evening. I was hoping I would be able to thank him for his generosity of letting me stay the night, and to maybe inquire if he knows as to the whereabouts of my father?” she hastily asked.
         “I don’t know…he is easily made upset…” I lied, stalling for a good excuse.
         “Oh, please, Hailey. It would mean the world to me,” she pleaded, grabbing my hand and squeezing it. I drew my hand back as if it was burned, and then turning away.
         “I’m sure,” I muttered under my breath, heading down the hallway. “Follow me,” I directed in a louder voice. Without knocking, I pushed open Master’s door and abruptly halted, surprised. He sat at his breakfast table already, sipping a steaming cup of coffee and staring out his large window. His head swiveled around, and he smirked at my astonished expression.
         “Well? My breakfast?” he impatiently asked, although it sounded more like amused teasing to me. Blushing, I sprang to action, fumbling with the clattering plates until they were neatly spread before him. Nodding at me in thanks, he picked up his fork and eagerly dug in until the plate was almost empty.
         Just then, I remembered Isabel and rushed to the door to let her in. Shyly, she tiptoed into the room and curiously peered at Master. Hearing her, he instantly turned and stared as the girl took a few steps forward and briefly curtsied, a shocked expression flooding her face. He didn’t budge, and an embarrassed blush crept over Isabel’s cheeks. Then, taking a deep breath and waiting for her face to clear, she began.
         “Sir, I just wanted to thank you for letting me stay the night—“
         “I wasn’t aware that you had,” Master cut in, curiously glancing at me, who shrugged.
         “W-well,” Isabel stuttered. “I did have a question…”
         “Yes?” he prompted, setting his napkin back on the table and standing, facing her fully. In alarm at his grotesque appearance, she took a short step backward, her hands trembling.
         “S-sir, have you seen my f-father? He was traveling on the road that g-goes right past your…your mansion…” she faltered yet again as Master turned his back on her. For a while it seemed that he wouldn’t choose to answer her as he stared out of his window, deep in thought, but after a minute or two he slowly pivoted towards us again and directed his eyes at me.
         “Hailey.”
         “Yes, sir,” I immediately answered, dropping into a short curtsy.
         “Take my tray back to the kitchen and then report to the basement. I’ll have need for you there.”
         Instantly curious, I eyed him and then swiftly turned and left, platter in hand. The kitchen was entered and left, and my feet carried me to the “basement”, which really served as a dungeon. Of course, Master had too kind a heart to lock up anyone in the cells…or did he? Barred rooms stood adjacent to each other, row after row, and I peered into each one, searching for Master and Isabel. Finally, I heard sobbing and loud pleading distantly, and I hurried towards the noise. Right when I turned a corner, the image of Beth on her knees with her face in her hands, and Master standing uncomfortably, arms crossed, behind her met my eyes. Timidly, I drew back and watched the scene enfold.
         “Father,” Isabel sobbed, her shoulders shaking. “Father, how can you be released? Our family will go to more ruin then it is in already!”
         A gentle yet inaudible voice responded, and at its end Isabel sat upright, eyes narrowed. Her small frame began to tremble. “What?” she quietly asked. The voice repeated its message, and tears began to trickle steadily down her cheeks. Slowly, she nodded and then slumped into a figure of despair. Master hesitated, then unlocked the door holding Isabel’s father, and immediately the man from the forest stumbled out and over to his daughter. They embraced for a long, drawn out moment, both of them shaking with sobs. Master ambled over to me, and motioned for me to follow him back to the two figures clutching each other in desperation. He tapped the man on the shoulder, who, still trembling, stood and hobbled past me, wiping tears from his eyes. Slowly he made his way up the stairs, where his suitcase was waiting for him at the top of the staircase.
         I turned back, and my eyes widened as I watched Master lean down and pat Isabel comfortingly on the shoulder. She flinched and stumbled away from him, fleeing up the stairs and out of sight. Sighing deeply, Master’s shoulders slumped as he, in a husky voice, ordered me to follow Isabel and show her to the guest suite. Surprised, I asked if she was to stay, and at no answer asked if he was all right. At his nod I curtsied, then swept out of the dusky basements in search of Isabel.
         She was found huddled on a couch, burying her face into the plump pillows decorating it. Moved by her grief, I felt my animosity towards her soften, and I glided over to her. “Isabel,” I soothed, patting her back. “Come on, I need to show you your room. I promise it’s beautiful.”
         Isabel sat up slowly from her slouched position on the couch and wiped away her last, fleeting tears and nodded at me. “Hailey,” she said, peering up at me through red, swollen eyes. “You’ll promise to be my friend, right?”
         My stomach leaped as I turned away, brushing my apron as a way to stall. “Yes,” I faintly replied, immediately feeling nauseous. Isabel beamed at me, tear-stained cheeks and all. Grinning, I grabbed her hand and led her up two flights of stairs to the guest suite. We entered together, and I felt my mouth drop open at the obvious splendor of the place. Isabel’s smile grew, but uncertainly she touched every object in the first room, and then moved into the second. It was furnished with a large, comfortable bed drowning in pillows and thick blankets. Frowning, Isabel shook her head. “I hate losing bed space with tons of pillows. I wish you would take them off, Hailey?” she requested, turning to me. As soon as her back was turned to the bed, in a flash all the pillows immediately disappeared. I gasped and pointed at the bed, flabbergasted. How—what—when?
         Isabel spun around, expecting something dreadful, but instead saw her bed, removed of all but two, fluffy pillows. She gaped, and then beautifully smiled, reaching down and patting the bed. “Why, how did you do it, Hailey?” she pleasantly asked, turning back to me. “That was marvelous!”
         “But I—I—“
         Suddenly a knock sounded on the door, and I hid my shock by hurrying to answer it. Master stood there, looking sheepish and less dejected. “May I speak to Isabel?” he inquired.
         Stepping aside to allow his entrance, I glanced at Isabel to catch her reaction, but was surprised to find her face completely blank as she stiffly curtsied. “Yes?” she prompted, sitting on the edge of her bed, impatiently waiting.
         “Hailey, leave,” Master ordered out of the side of his mouth, and as I was about to do so, Isabel protested.
         “No, Hailey, stay. I wish you to be here while Master undoubtedly needs something from me other than eternal residence here.” Eyebrows raised, I waited for Master’s nod, then stood against the wall, trying to catch up with my thoughts. Eternal residence? Did that mean…
         “Please call me Ash,” Master said, and curiosity and jealousy flooded me all at once. No one had called him Ash since his “gift.” Isabel nodded, then leaned back into her pillow, openly glaring at him.
         “What do you want?”
         He winced, then began. “Isabel, I wanted to inform you that your stay here will not be torture. Your every wish will be gratified, and you will only see me at dinner. Other than that, you have the entire castle and its grounds for your pleasure.”
         Again, I felt shock tingle through my veins as my heart sank in disappointment. It was apparent that Ash was already in love with Isabel, and I turned away from them both, gathering my thoughts.
         Something had to be done before I lost him.

         “So you’re saying that our favorite little subject is in danger of breaking the curse?” the man asked, his eyes gleaming with some unidentifiable emotion. I stared up at him, and nodded as he walked over to his window and glanced out. I looked around the dark room, wishing that the musty smell of ancient books that overpowered it would lessen a bit so I could actually breathe. The room was filled with, along with books, people sitting at different tables, reading about spells, rules, and other things regarding the Spell Casting Agency (or SCA). Its purpose was to sort of follow Robin Hood’s motto…give to the poor what came from the rich. Rich men and women all over the world found destitution once being contacted by the SCA.
         “Hailey, I suggest luring the girl back to her house before her interest can be sparked. What does she love more than life itself?”
         “Her family,” I immediately replied. “What should I do?”
         He glanced at me, amused. “Why, find some way to lure her back to her home. It should be simple for one that’s lived in his house for so long.”
         “B-but sir, I was wondering,” I stuttered, gathering my wits. “Couldn’t we just—couldn’t we just lift his spell without him breaking it? I think this time you made a wrong decision…for, he’s…he’s not a horrible man and—“
         “Absolutely not,” the man cut in sharply. His eyes darkened as he leaned close to my face, scowling. “The SCA never lifts their spells. Do you want to lose your job or continue with this?”
         Maybe if I quit, just maybe, Ash would accept me anyways—
         The man threw back his head and laughed. “You think he’ll take you back, after all you’ve done against him?”
         “But—“
         “No. He won’t. He’ll hate your very existence for the rest of his life. And may I remind you that if you quit, you’ll look like that for the rest of your life? Is that what you want?” he demanded, firmly wrenching my chin up so I had to directly look in his black eyes. “Is it?”
         “N-no,” I answered, trembling. For a couple of minutes, I sat there, staring out the window at the bare trees laden with snow, and felt tears slip down my cheeks until I stood once more and made my way back to the castle.

         After the visit, the sight of Isabel sickened me. Ash’s love for her only strenghtened with each passing day, and one day she burst into my room, stricken. I instantly inquired what was wrong, and she shook her head in confusion. “Hailey, Ash just asked me to marry him.”
         Horrified, I stared at her. “What did you say?” I asked, dreading the answer.
         “Why, I said no. How could I marry such a…a monster?”
         Relief flooded me, and yet… “But Isabel, surely you must know by now that Ash has one of the kindest souls…”
         She regarded me curiously. “No…how could a man hold an innocent girl hostage and be kind?” Later, she told me every day of Ash’s renewed proposals, all rejected. She declared that nothing would ever make her even think of marrying him.          And no matter how courteous Ash was to her, her resolution for never faded until one certain night.

         It was December 12, a dark, grey day and an even darker night. When Ash didn’t show for dinner, Isabel worriedly inquired after him, but just received the answer that he was out hunting for the night. Satisfied, she quickly finished her dinner and retired to the living room. “I wish Ash was here,” she murmured, curiously glancing around the room. I watched as no one appeared, and Isabel’s brown eyes widened with fear. “Hailey, come here,” she demanded.
         I swept over to her, fear clutching my own heart as well. “Yes?”
         “Find him for me.” She absently handed me a cloak and stood at the window, watching as I left the room and eventually the estate itself, peering into the distance. My lone lantern swung wildly in the whipping, icy wind, and I squinted my eyes, wishing for a map of some sort. At that thought, I immediately reached into my skirt pocket and pulled out a small, rectangular mirror. Glancing into it, I whispered. “I wish to see Master.”
         The surface of the mirror twisted, and I gasped as I caught sight of Ash huddled under a tree, clutching his arm, which…Startled, I dropped my mirror and dashed in the direction the mirror had guided me to. My heart began to pump and sweat, despite the heat, began to trickle down my forehead. Trees flashed by me and blurred as my feet moved quicker and quicker, nearly stumbling every few steps. At last I came upon him, and I fell to my knees beside him, touching his shoulder. He flinched and struggled to open his eyes.
         “Who…?” he croaked, wincing with pain.
         “It’s Hailey, sir. Please, are you all right?” I asked, my throat feeling strangled with emotion. I gently touched his arm and then impulsively tore the hem from my skirt and began wrapping it tightly around the large gash that ripped his skin. Blood flowed down his arm, but I mopped it up and tried to clot it in the gash, my lips moving in silent prayer. After his arm was completely bandaged, I lifted a canteen of water to his lips and watched it dribble into his mouth and down his throat. Eventually, he gathered enough strength that with my help he was able to stand and stagger back to the path.
         “Wolves,” he explained in one word. The rest of the way back was silent, although I fiercely wished one of us would speak. My courage failed at every attempt, though, and was silenced when the wind picked up, making it difficult to even think.
         Isabel met us at the door, and flew over to Ash, gasping in horror. “Oh!” she exclaimed, gathering his arm under her other shoulder and motioning me to get help. When I returned, she had him lying on a couch and was undressing his bandage and cleansing it. I enviously watched as she gently stroked his arm with the rag, questioning why he had ventured outside in such danger. The two of them murmured quietly to each other and my heart felt a sharp pang until I couldn’t stand it anymore. I dashed from the room into the empty hallway, and disappeared.
         
         When I reappeared, I was standing on the doorstep of Isabel’s old home. Furiously, I pounded on the door, feeling real tears stream down my face. The door was flung open suddenly, and I stumbled into the house, surprised. I straightened and gathered my thoughts before glancing up at the man who had answered the door. At my request, the old man from the woods was immediately summoned, and recognizing me, he demanded what was the matter. Drawing in a deep breath, a story came tumbling from my lips. “Sir, I came to tell you of your daughter’s mistreatment.” Jumping into a false story of Isabel’s supposed ongoing torture, I watched as her father’s face twisted in horror at the news.
         “Why, what can I do?” he sputtered, his face red in fury. Sheepishly I ducked my head.
         “Nothing. You won’t be let on the estate. But I thought…I thought you should know.”
         With that, I fled from the room and disappeared once more.
         
         “Hailey!” Isabel’s voice called, bringing me into the room with her and Ash once more. “Hailey, wherever have you been? We’ve sent nearly ten maids searching for you.”
         “Just to the bathroom,” I assured her, blushing. My pulse quickened, and I forced my breathing to slow. “What is it?”
         “Oh,” she said, remembering her need for me in the first place. “Can you stay with Ash here for a minute while I go change clothes?” I nodded my consent and slid into a chair next to the couch.
         “Hailey,” Ash began when Isabel had left the room. “I just wanted to thank you for finding me and bringing me home.” He sighed gently and stared at the door through which Isabel had left. “Isn’t she wonderful?” Jerking into a more upright position, he glanced at me. “I think she’ll be the one.”
         Striken, I asked, “The one?”
         “The one to break the spell.” At my horrified expression, he quickly collected himself. “Oh, you weren’t here when that happened, were you? Well, never mind. You’ll see.” A contented grin settled across his face and I felt my heart sink even lower.
         A few minutes later, Isabel returned, pale and stiff. Her eyes were large and full of fear, and once again I was struck by how beautiful she was as she turned towards us. “Ash.”
         “What’s wrong, Isabel?”
         “It’s my—my father,” she stammered, bursting into sobs. Ash swung his feet off the couch and hurried to her, concerned.
         “What’s wrong?”
         “I’m afraid he’s…he’s sick. And no one’s there to help him! Oh, Ash, please, will you let me visit him? Just until he gets better?”
         Ash turned away from Isabel, strained. His face contorted with sorrow and hesitance, but finally he mustered up a breath and said, “For two months.”
         She breathed out, a tiny smile fluttering at her lips. “Oh—“
         Turning sharply back, he pierced her with a deep stare. “Isabel, you must promise to return. Please.”
         For a moment, I was shocked as I watched part of Ash’s grotesque spell fade as she stared back into his eyes in pity. “Yes, Ash, always,” she whispered, reaching over to grasp his hand. And then she was fleeing the room, leaving him to only return to the couch in frustration.
         “Help her,” he ordered, and I followed Isabel’s fading footsteps, feeling almost triumphant at my immediate success.
         
         Isabel was in a whirl of madness, thrusting dress after dress into a suitcase and slamming it shut. At my entrance, she breathlessly turned to me, then nodded. “Oh, Hailey,” she said, rushing to the mirror to dab away any sign of tears. “I’m so worried. What if—“
         “Don’t worry, Isabel,” I assured her. “I’m sure your father will be fine.”
         “No, it’s not that. It’s Ash.” My eyes widened.
         “Oh, no, he’ll be fine,” I replied, swiftly taking her suitcase and ringing a bell for a manservant. After he appeared and left, Isabel stared out of her window, wringing her hands, and then rushed over to a painting, staring intently into it. Curious, I tiptoed behind her, glancing over her shoulder. In amazement I gaped as the colors of the painting slowly whirled and spun until they began to fade into an intricate design on the canvas. Now the picture displayed Isabel’s father inert on his bed, moaning loudly, ‘Isabel…oh, what have I done?’ I observed Isabel’s back straighten in determination as she spun and nearly knocked into me.
         Startled, she self-consciously glanced back at the painting and watched it dissemble back to the normal picture. “Oh, that’s…it just does that,” she said haltingly, pushing past me and out the door. “Goodbye, Hailey,” she called over her shoulder, and she disappeared into the hallway and out of our world for her two months.

         With each day of her departure, Ash weakened until he could no longer support himself. For the last two weeks of the month, I never left his bedside, but watched as he feebly forced down his three meals and alternately read book after book throughout the long, boring days. I tried to converse with him, but it seemed that his mind could never focus on any other subject but Isabel and her return to his estate. The day before her supposed return, I struggled to satisfy him, my heart touched by his dedication to Isabel. Right when he took in supper and looked into my eyes with his sad, large eyes, and inquired if I thought Isabel would return the next night, I felt drowned by his grief and silently nodded. I swiftly exited the room and leaned back on the door, closing my eyes.
         The man’s voice rang in my ears. You think he’ll take you back, after all you’ve done against him? No. He won’t. He’ll hate your very existence for the rest of his life. Is that what you want? Is this what I wanted? Did I want Ash to suffer through the rest of his life without a friend, just because of my selfish love? For I had fallen in love with him from my first glance at him, at that very door where I had shape-shifted into an old, humpbacked woman. He had taken me in…
         It wasn’t fair! It wasn’t fair that after all the service I had done him…
         You placed a spell on him, I reminded myself. You were the one who put him in ruin in the first place. You were the one who caused his love for Isabel!
         At that thought, I burst away from the door and fled up the stairs until I was at the door of Isabel’s chambers. Slamming the door behind me, I roamed her rooms until coming upon the one with the portraits. “I wish to see Isabel,” I demanded, my voice trembling and yet decisive. In the next instant, colors were flashing and contorting into different figures, and then froze into a scene.
         Isabel was laughing with her father over the dinner table. “What a fool,” her father boomed. “What a fool to assume you’d come back after everything that’s happened.”
         She seemed to sober. “Well, Father, he actually was very kind to me. But I can’t go back,” she said, staring down at her hands.
         I abruptly turned and rushed out of the room, down the winding stairs, and to the front door. After grabbing my cloak, I dashed outside and then shape-shifted into a bird, soaring over the forest and castle. In less than five minutes I reached Isabel’s front door, and quickly shape-shifted back into Hailey, then knocked furiously on the door. Eeriely, déjà vu washed over me when the door popped open yet again, and instead of her father, Isabel stared me straight in the face.
         “Why, Hailey! Why are you here?” I watched as her face drained of color and she grabbed the doorframe tightly. “Is…Is Ash all right?”
         “Isabel, you must come back, as you promised! Ash would die without you,” I said, ducking my head sheepishly and peering up at her under heavy eyelids.
         “Why…” she gasped, glancing over her shoulder and then back at me. “Why, how can I? Father is expecting…”
         “There’s no time to lose,” I urged, taking her hand and pressing it tightly. “He’s waiting.”
         In a sudden whirl of confusion, Isabel dashed away and returned only a minute later, grasping a large carpetbag in her right hand. “Father will understand…right?”
         “Right,” I assured her, then began to lead her into a fast pace as we briskly walked down the path. She only lived a mere five miles away, and before shadows had begun casting themselves through the forest, we could glimpse the tall turrets of the castle. At the sight, she was revived to walk faster, and I nearly tripped over my own feet several times while trying to keep up.
         Emotions began to build into a turmoil, twisting my gut and sending tears to my eyes. Why was I doing this? Why was I letting my own happiness go and prompting this girl to whisk Ash away from me? I swiped tears from the corners of my eyes and held back a sob. Of course, he didn’t love me, and never would, not like I was. And certainly not after what she had done to him. So, I didn’t protest when Isabel rushed into the castle, shouting Ash’s name loudly through the hallways. I didn’t cry when Ash ran down the stairs to greet her and enveloped her in his arms in a fierce embrace. I only felt my heart break when she joyfully nodded her head at something he whispered in her ear, and noiselessy felt my despair wash over me and the pieces of my heart scattered into dust.

         “I do,” Isabel said, tearfully taking Ash’s hand and squeezing it, laughter bubbling from her lips. Nearly the entire household was bursting with joy, and it exploded as Ash bent down to press his lips to hers.
         My figure began to change, and I felt the bonds of a sixteen-year old girl body break free, and my true form to be revealed. People around me gasped in awe as I stepped out of the aisle, and made my way to the ecstatic couple, my legs trembling. Ash observed me carefully, then said, “You’re the one from so long ago…”
         “Yes,” I said, my voice shaking. “And now that you have received your gift, the requirements will be…taken away.” Slowly, I raised my arm and stretched it towards him, then felt energy leave my fingertips and soar in his direction. Feeling tears reach my eyelids, I quickly turned away and dashed down the corridor, only turning back when I was sure no one would notice.
         Ash was transforming himself, and back to his old shape that I had seen him as every day. The servants broke into a loud cheer and many people, not only women, shed a tear of happiness at the sight. With that, sure that my “gift” had been broken, I swiveled around and fled, tripping over my long skirts and feeling my hair fly out behind me.
         Suddenly, a hand grasped my shoulder, and I pivoted to face Isabel, who was beaming up at me. She took in my long, blond tresses cascading down my back, the gentle curve of my figure, and my beautiful face streaked red from tears. “Hailey?” she whispered in awe. “Is that you?”
         “Yes,” I nodded, my mouth quivering. “I…I wish you all happiness.”
         “Oh, Hailey,” she said, breaking into a laugh. “Oh, I’m so happy. You must stay with us—”
         I shook my head, cutting her off. “I have work. I must leave…”
         “Oh, but you’ll visit, won’t you?”
         Backing away, I nodded. “Sure,” I agreed, tearfully grinning, and then spun away and dashed outside, gulping in the fresh air.
         Enveloped in sorrow, I felt my figure change once more, for the last time, into the shape of a bird, and as my wings lifted me into the air, one last, full teardrop fell silently and unnoticed to the earth as I soared away.
The End.
© Copyright 2007 Alyson Everest (manda425 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1260229-Broken