*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1260614-Fading-Light-Chapter-1
by LeBeau
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Fantasy · #1260614
Action adventure. Normal damsel in distress type story.
‘Tell me something. Do you ever feel a strange sadness at night? As the sun sets, do you ever hear the mournful cry of a thousand lost souls? Think about this next time you watch the sun set, Richard.’
Richard looked back at his trainer, Paul, and smiled. ‘I’ve never thought about a sunset as being a sad thing. It always seemed like the most beautiful thing I’d ever witnessed. But now I will always wonder, whether great beauty can mask an even greater sadness.’
‘It is important to look beyond beauty and see what lies beneath. However, that is enough for the day. It is getting late, and you have work at the farm tomorrow. Come, let us return to the village.
Richard stood with his sword master and grabbed the reigns of his horse. They travelled across the small bridge leading towards the small village of Farore, all the while the sun setting behind them. Richard and Paul reached the entrance to the village to find Paul’s wife, Margaret and his son Colin waiting for them. Richard waved farewell to Paul and went into his small home. He collapsed onto the bed and immediately fell asleep.

‘Richard! Richard!’ The cry awoke Richard from his sleep and he went ot the small window. The owner of the small farm was yelling. ‘Up you get. You’ve got work to do today.’
Richard yawned and pulled on his tunic. Stepping out of his house, eyes till bleary from his rude awakening, he went to get Quickshot. He reached his hand for the reigns, but they weren’t there. He looked up to find Quickshot missing. However, he did not panic, but smiled to himself as he thought of where the horse could be. He quickly ran down the path towards the small lake.

Turning the corner, he found the horse, standing placidly in the water. He walked forward and into the shallows of the lake to grab the reigns, but before he could a loud voice made him jump.
‘Morning Richard.’ He fell straight into the water and sat looking at Rebecca, the daughter of the Villages mayor, laughing at him.
‘ You crazy girl. You almost gave me a heart attack. DO you want me to die before I’m Twenty?
Rebecca was around 18 years old, the same age as Richard. She had long brown hair which curled at the bottom, and a kind face. Richard felt that she was very beautiful, and had developed a strong crush on her when they were younger, but was too cowardly to do anything about it. He looked at her as she stood over him, offering him her hand so he could get up.
‘Sorry about taking away Quickshot before without telling you, but I thought it would be a shame to wake you. Anyway, you’d better hurry or you’ll be late for work. And that’s happened once too often.’
Richard climbed on the horse and offered Rebecca a hand. ’Can I give you a ride back to your house?’ he asked.
‘That’s very gallant of you.’ She mocked. She knew Richard had a dream about becoming a noble swordsman, and would often make fun of him because of it. Richard just smiled back at her, helped her up, waited until he was sure she was secure on the back of the saddle, and then the pair galloped back towards the village. 
© Copyright 2007 LeBeau (lebeau32 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1260614-Fading-Light-Chapter-1