*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1260983-Nebraska-in-the-Winter
Rated: E · Essay · Travel · #1260983
Something unexpected in Blair...

When my husband told me where his next job assignment would be I anxiously questioned, “Blair?  Nebraska?  You’ve got to be kidding me!  It’ll be January and we‘ll freeze up there!  Isn‘t there any place else they could send us!?!” 

You see, we travel nearly year-round for my husband’s job.  He’s a welder and works for a company that constructs gigantic, stainless steel tanks.  We have a much-loved home that we keep in Missouri, but since 1998 we have been all over these grand United States with our fifth-wheel and our passion for exploration.  My passion apparently knows one boundary…Nebraska in the winter, in a fifth-wheel, with two young children did not sound like much of an exciting adventure.  Winter in Blair, Nebraska sounded more like a slow, icy death.

Everyone who heard where we were about to go echoed my thoughts.  I can’t even begin to count the number of times I heard from family and friends, “Nebraska? In the winter? Oh, you poor things!”  The looks of pity from them were sealing their sentiments on our impending doom. 

Now, our home in southwest Missouri is no tropical paradise in the winter, but somehow our current destination just seemed so far away.  So far North.  And just like most sane birds, when the weather turns cooler, people generally want to head South, instead of North.  Me included.

This latest job assignment would not have seemed quite so harsh, except for the fact that we had been extremely blessed in the past years with our winter jobs.  Once, we were able to spend a few warm winter months in Houston. Twice, we have wintered in Florida.  Yes, Florida, the sunny vacation destination for families all over the country who usually have to save and plan all year to be able to go.  I hate to brag, but somebody actually paid us good money to go there.  Then there have been so many winters in California that we fondly refer to it as our second home state.  My son was actually born there in December of ‘99.  We enjoyed sunshine and a blooming floral-lined sidewalk as we carried him out of the hospital and then to our car.  There were going be no flowers blooming in Nebraska.

We arrived in Blair the evening of January 1st after a seven hour drive.  Snow blanketed the campground, but we were able to get pulled in and hooked up without too much trouble.  The next day we bought the necessary winterizing insulation to skirt around the trailer, enough heat tape and insulated wrap for all of the water lines going in and out, an extra large bottle for propane and two small electric heaters.  We were ready for whatever Nebraska had to offer us.

Nebraska decided to give us more snow.  Then Nebraska gave us endless days of sub-zero temperatures, bitterly strong wind, frozen underground sewer lines and still...more snow.  We even had the pleasure of mingling with our first official blizzard a few months ago. There was something else that Nebraska had to offer that I simply wasn’t expecting; the warmth that comes from sincere smiles partnered with firm handshakes.  Hospitality.

This hasn’t been just your average, everyday kind of hospitality, either.  We have met so many friendly people while zig-zagging this country, but there just seems to be a little something extra here. I first noticed it when I registered my son for school.  Everyone I met greeted my children and me with welcoming smiles and the kindest handshakes I have ever had the privilege of receiving.  The eyes of everyone at the elementary school sparkled and I got the impression that they were all pleased to be working there and also very proud of their little town.  They were extremely generous with the time they took to explain everything we needed to know, too.  I never once felt like they were rushing me through the registration process.  Then, as we were about to leave, the vice-principal came out to welcome us to town and gave me her phone number and the number to a friend of hers at the local Chamber of Commerce.  “Just in case you need anything while you are here.” she said kindly.
         
Since then, we have been graciously received at a few area churches, many restaurants, the video store, the local grocery markets and even the little drive-thru coffee shack. In fact, everywhere we go, the people seem to be so genuinely happy to be right here.  In Blair, Nebraska.  And they all seem to be so glad to have us here with them.  There is such a strong sense of camaraderie that rests upon this town and it didn't take very long before the warmth from these northerners began to melt my icy impression of what life would be like up here.  Because of their kindness, I actually began not minding the wind-chilled days and black, bleakly frigid nights. My worries about survival dwindled and I found myself unexpectedly content to be right here with them, too.  In Blair, Nebraska.

We are still up here, but the cold air has been gone for several weeks now. The skirting has been taken off of our trailer and our electric heaters are stored away in the outside compartments. Green has sprouted up where once was only white.  But this glow from the sunshine that we have felt lately does not quite compare to the beautiful glow from the people we have called our neighbors for the last five months. Sadly, we will be leaving soon and I am not sure if we will ever be returning.  If, by some odd chance, my husband ever tells me again that we will be wintering in Nebraska, I will not be upset or worried about survival.  I will look at him and excitedly announce, “YES, Nebraska in the winter!”
© Copyright 2007 kizzy72 (kizzy72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1260983-Nebraska-in-the-Winter