*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1261535-The-Priestess-and-the-Half-Demon
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Fanfiction · #1261535
Making a case for InuYasha and Kikyo - a love for all eternity
Header for Essay

         I'm quite surprised at how passionate I am about this couple, especially for an anime/fandom I didn't initially care for very much. However, bored one night with nothing to watch, I decided to give this show a shot and ended up watching the first part of 'The Tragic Love Song of Destiny' and wow! I was just...heartbroken at this couple and what happened to them. If only ... if only ... if only ... was the mantra that ran through my mind at the end of this. I decided to watch as many of the episodes (and one or two movies) as I could (and dear God, as important as Kagome is to the story...honestly, I could do without her most times, but I digress) and tried to get myself up to speed.

         So imagine my shock and surprise when I 'visited' the fandom and was appalled at all the 'I HATE KIKYO!! SHE SUCKS!!XD1101!!! SHE SHOULD JUST DIE ALREADY!!' kind of posts and wondered if these so-called fans had actually watched the same thing I did. *Confused* I mean...hello? Don't they understand where InuYasha (for all his indecisiveness) is coming from? Can one really blame him for his feelings and actions or how much he 'hurts' Kagome? When he's still clearly in love with the first woman that accepted him for what he was? But I'm getting too ahead of myself. Let's break this story down for you, so perhaps you can come to appreciate why InuYasha and Kikyo were lovers and such a tragic one at that.

*Leaf1*THE PRIESTESS - KIKYO*Leaf2*

The priestess Kikyo

         Imagine if you will, being raised your whole life to become a priestess. Your job basically from the day you were born, is to fight and defend people against demons. You are not allowed to do normal things like other girls. You can only watch in longing as your peers get boyfriends, try new clothes, wear makeup and have fun. People respect and look at you in awe, forgetting that you are 'human' and placing you on a pedestal. You're almost considered a goddess - one not to be 'touched'. Your strength and power comes from being emotionally unattached to anyone. If you dare, DARE to fall in love, your power weakens and that in itself threatens the lives of many under your care. Can you imagine the sort of pressure she's under on a daily basis? It's enough to drive anyone batty, but she's managed to pull it off all her life and takes her job seriously even though she's all alone (she does have her sister, Kaede though but you know what I mean).

*Leaf1*THE HALF-DEMON - INU YASHA*Leaf2*

The dog-demon Inu Yasha

         On the other hand, we have a half-demon, born of a demon father (dog demon) and a human mother - something that was not allowed at the time. Cursed to be this way, he is not considered much by demons (and they think he's weak), and humans hate him for what he is and is not welcomed in their world. He has to fight every day to survive - being stuck in the middle of both worlds, never knowing who are his friends or his enemy. But despite this, he still protects villages that are attacked by demons, showing that he does have a good heart. However, he is rude and crass, if that's the term and can't trust anyone. He longs to own the Sacred Jewel that will eventually make him a full-fledged demon, so at least he can be strong enough to be accepted (and to deal with that pesky older brother of his).

*Leaf1*THE MEETING*Leaf2*

         So how did these two unlikely people meet?

         Kikyo (with younger sister Kaede) travel from town to town fighting away the evils/demons, healing people and all what not. She's a VERY skilled archer by the way and is able to destroy a whole slew of demons with just one arrow. Anyway, she has a rival priestess by the name of Tsubaki, who one day places a curse on Kikyo - telling her that she would fall in love with someone eventually and that in turn will weaken her powers. Kikyo scoffs at this and doesn't believe such a thing will ever happen (although from the way she sounds while speaking to Kaede about this, you almost get the sense that Kikyo DOES wish such a thing would happen to her).

         InuYasha on the other hand is in the middle of yet another fight against demons who want his head. He barely survives the battle and is badly wounded. While running away from the scene, he hears a loud explosion in the distance and the undeniable stench of demon blood. Curious, and yet knowing that he barely has the time to hide before changing to his human form (this happens whenever there's a full moon. He's considerably weaker then and tends to hide from possible attackers until he changes back to his demon form). Upon getting to the scene, he hides in a tree (the moon does come up and he changes back to human form unfortunately) and watches this beautiful lone figure - a miko (priestess) - destroying the demons that approach a village. It's obvious that the woman is exhausted and tired and yet she is able to sense that someone is watching her. Without really looking around, she warns Inu Yasha to leave the scene or she will not hesitate to attack. That if he has come to claim the Sacred jewel - which by this time has been placed in her care - she will indeed kill him. Inu Yasha is confused, for he doesn't know what the jewel is actually and wonders what she's talking about. Kikyo, seemingly satisfied that she's dealing with a demon that's not a threat to her, turns to walk away. However, her weariness catches up to her and she collapses to the ground in a dead faint. Inu Yasha leaps down from the tree to walk up to her, staring at the woman in disbelief and perhaps reluctant awe. So impressed that he utters the words:

What kind of a priestess is she? Is she really a woman? (Paraphrasing)

         However, he has no time to admire Kikyo as the voices of the villagers, in search of the miko, approach. Inu Yasha flees the scene as Kaede eventually discovers her sister. Kikyo awakens, surprised to see that she's still alive. She had thought that Inu Yasha would take the opportunity to strike her dead, and one can see the small smile of relief on her features.

         Time passes, Inu Yasha discovers what the Jewel is all about and understands why all the demons want a piece of it. He decides to hunt down Kikyo to get it for himself. However, each time they meet, and Inu Yasha begins to act all tough and threatening, he's quickly pinned to a tree with Kikyo's arrows. She warns him over and over to stop following her wherever she goes, but Inu Yasha is stubborn and resilient. Through their rather weird meetings - him being pinned against a tree, waiting for that final arrow to strike him dead - they end up talking to each other, getting to know each other's names and discovering that they are more alike than they choose to admit. Kaede for her part, wonders why her big sister never finishes off Inu Yasha (something Inu Yasha has wondered himself) or why she has taken to having baths after a fight (again, Inu Yasha's influence as he made a comment about Kikyo smelling of demon blood most of the time) or why Kikyo seems a bit happier lately, humming and with a glow on her cheeks. Kaede also wonders why Inu Yasha begins to watch his sister from a distance, (watching her bathe - naughty demon!, or watching her play with the children) never coming too close, but always by her side. Why he kills off other demons who try to attack both sisters, and why she (Kaede) is never harmed. Inu Yasha claims that he's only doing it because he wants the Jewel for himself and doesn't want any competition, but as time goes by, one has to wonder if that's the only reason.

*Leaf1*A LOVE BLOSSOMS*Leaf2*

         Seasons change and its fall, Kikyo finds herself on a hilltop watching the village she has to protect below. She knows Inu Yasha is watching her as usual and finally invites him to sit beside her. This Inu Yasha does with mild wariness, not sure what to expect or why he's being asked to do this. However, their conversation leads him to believe that Kikyo is suffering and only wishes to be a 'normal' human being. When he is rather curt with her, and realizes he has hurt her feelings (even though she does a good job to mask it), he invites her to return the next day, blushing as he promises to give her a little gift.

         Kikyo, excited (but of course not showing it), works on a set of magic beads later that night. It forms a necklace that she will give to Inu Yasha. This necklace will help to keep the demon in line especially when he gets out of control. It responds to a password of sorts, and Kikyo decided she would make it 'Beloved'. How sweet! *Smile*

         The next day, the two meet and Inu Yasha presents a rouge lipstick in a shell case to Kikyo. It belonged to his human mother and it was the only thing she left behind beside the fire rat cloak he wears all the time. Can you see how important this gift is? And just how much it means to him to give away something so precious? Kikyo is touched and caresses his cloak gently, apologizing for damaging it with her arrows all this time. Inu Yasha waves the apology aside, although he's pleased that she seems to like his gift. He then asks for his gift (as Kikyo had promised she'd have something for him as well) and when she moves to reach into her robes for the necklace, she decides against it - now trusting that Inu Yasha would not betray her.

         As time goes by, we see the two spending more time together. They go on missions together, both making a great team as they help to fight demons all over the country. The greatest and most telling scene in the anime - that simply shows just how deeply they have fallen for one another - comes after a boat ride (or perhaps a return from a mission). It's a glorious and beautiful sunset evening and as Kikyo steps out of the boat, she trips and falls into Inu Yasha's arms. He hesitates for barely a second before folding her within his arms in an embrace, as if hoping and longing for the opportunity for such a thing to happen. Sometime before, they had both talked about the power of the Jewel, and Kikyo had suggested that Inu Yasha become a full human with it. The Jewel would be purified and then destroyed and Kikyo would no longer be obligated to continue her duties. She would finally become a normal woman again.

         With this thought in mind, Inu Yasha whispers that he has finally made his decision and is willing to become a human for Kikyo, so that she could become a woman and be his -
He is cut off here by Kikyo, but one can fill in the blanks and realize that he wants her to be his bride. He tries to continue, saying that he really lov-
But he is cut off again by Kikyo who understands and tells him to say no more. The kiss they share is one of many - a quiet, simple action that says everything words could never quite convey. They decide to meet the next day to perform the 'deed' so to speak. Kikyo would bring the Sacred Jewel and Inu Yasha would be ready.

*Leaf1*THE BETRAYAL*Leaf2*

         Now, this is the more painful aspect of their story and one that still gets me upset even as I type. Kikyo was a kind soul and while with Inu Yasha, she was taking care of a thief by the name of Onigumo who had been hurt. Everyday she would visit to give him food and water and heal his wounds. Nothing romantic, just a kind priestess helping out. Unfortunately, Onigumo had fallen in love with Kikyo but for his own selfish needs. It was something Kaede had noticed and was quite worried about. Meanwhile, there was a spider demon by the name of Naraku, who longed to get rid of Kikyo so he could possess the Sacred Jewel for himself. Realizing that Onigumo harbored some feelings for Kikyo and yet still harbored hate and greed, both struck a bargain and Onigumo willingly gave up his body to Naraku to control. Naraku, now 'reborn', decides to play a cruel trick on the lovers, to taint the Jewel and to claim it for himself.

         First he pretends to be Inu Yasha and sneaks to the temple at night, urging Kikyo to show up a bit earlier than originally planned. Kikyo is confused by the sudden change, but doesn't really question it, perhaps assuming that Inu Yasha is really excited about the whole thing. The next morning, she's wide awake, excitement and anticipation coursing through her veins as she runs to their meeting point. She opens the rouge given to her by Inu Yasha, and is just about to put some on her lips (to make herself all nice and pretty for her beloved) when she is struck down with a deadly gash by long claws that could only belong to one person. As she falls to the ground in pain, the shell case is crushed and 'Inu Yasha' (Naraku of course), basically laughs at her and oh-drives an arrow of pain so sharp through Kikyo's heart that she becomes filled with hatred. She cannot believe that the man she loved and would have given anything for would do such a thing to her. And yet...

         Done with Kikyo (and stealing the Jewel), Naraku transforms into Kikyo and goes to meet Inu Yasha who is on his way to their meeting place as well. Inu Yasha is surprised to hear the name 'Hanyou!' (Half-Demon) - a name he hates - from 'Kikyo's' lips. As he did with Kikyo, Naraku belittles their relationship, claiming he would never have been with a half-demon like Inu Yasha in the first place. The half-demon is hurt and rightfully so. It had taken him so long to trust anyone and here was the woman he thought he loved, acting like a...well bitch to him. Now furious, he decides to steal the Jewel by force and attacks the temple.

         However, his escape is foiled as the strangled sound of his name 'Inu Yasha!' and the pierce of a familiar arrow binds him to a tree called 'Gonshinboku' - this is a tree that never ages and whoever is trapped or sealed there, remains in an eternal sleep, never growing old. This is the real Kikyo, who is bleeding and barely able to stand, that shot this particular arrow. In her mind, she screams that she trusted him, the tears evident even if she does not show them visibly. Inu Yasha on the other hand, knows he's 'dying' and yet cannot get himself to hate the woman he loves. His final words end with:

Why did it have to be this way? I still lo - (Paraphrasing)


         - and then he 'dies'. Forever sealed against the tree with an expression of peace on his visage. Now, Kikyo could have saved herself by using the jewel, but what does she do? She chooses to die as well - to follow Inu Yasha to the afterlife as the jewel has been corrupted. She asks that her body be burned with the jewel, so no one has access to it ever again. This is done and the story is supposed to end like that. Right? Not.

*Leaf1*THE RE-BIRTH*Leaf2*

         Fast forward to fifty years later, and a young girl in modern day Japan, who looks eerily like Kikyo, lives next to a temple that leads to the other world. This girl was born with a jewel shard within her. And when she eventually finds herself in Feudal Japan, Kaede (now old) realizes that it is indeed her sister re-incarnated when Kagome is the only one able to pull out the arrow that sealed Inu Yasha to the tree.

         Why is this important? Simple. Only one who really wants the person sealed to the tree to be released can do so. Kikyo could have used another arrow to finish off Inu Yasha, but she did not. She only used the 'sealing' arrow. Why that tree of all the trees in the forest? Because she didn't want him to suffer anymore - that is my belief. Through Kagome, she 'returns' to release him, perhaps forgiving him for the error of the past - and giving him a chance to have the happiness denied to him.

         So here's the problem that most fans do not seem to understand. Why does Inu Yasha still love Kikyo? Why can't he get over her? It's been fifty years for chrissakes! Kagome is alive and Kikyo's rightfully dead! So get over her already! Well...guess what, folks?

He can't.

*Note1* Bear in mind that to Inu Yasha, all the events that happened above is still FRESH in his memory. He has no concept of time passing and he has been sleeping for 50 years. This is the mindset of a young demon that fell head over heels in love, got betrayed and got shot by the woman he loved. All in the space of a few 'HOURS'. He fell asleep with the words 'I love you' on his lips. One can hardly expect him to quickly jump into the arms of another woman he has just met. Now, do you understand why he gives Kagome those weird looks in the beginning? Why he cannot stand the sight of Kagome dressed in the same miko outfit that Kikyo wore? Now, do you understand when he finally learns the truth of what happened with Naraku and how Kikyo gave up her life, and the fact that Kagome has Kikyo's soul within her, that he would long to reach out to the 'Kikyo' within Kagome?

*Note2* And then when Urasue (an old witch) resurrects Kikyo with a body made of clay but with souls of the dead, oh dear... please put yourself in the poor demon's shoes. To see her 'alive' again is a shock to anyone's senses and to know that she is not COMPLETE - as in Kagome regains control of most of the soul and all that remains within Kikyo is the hate harbored in those fateful few hours - it's got to be tough for both of them.

*Note3* No longer fully able to 'love' Inu Yasha as she once did, Kikyo roams the earth in search of souls to sustain her life, to seek revenge on the bastard that causes so much grief and pain to many. Even she knows that what they once had cannot be anymore. She cannot afford to be 'weak' in front of Inu Yasha again because her powers weren't as strong back then and she is determined to be strong to face Naraku- to destroy him for both their sakes. She can only love Inu Yasha from a distance now, watching as he makes friends with the living, and happy for him - yet full of the knowledge that her own time has come to an end.

         So you see? Kikyo is not HORRIBLE and MEAN and a BITCH! Just because Inu Yasha seems attached to her. She's a kind, caring priestess, who even in death, cares for those she can, whenever she can. Her 'cold' methods are only put in place to retain her priestess powers. If she is rude to Kagome, I can only say that it's either because she wishes to push the girl to become stronger (after all, Kagome is a part of her whether Kagome wants to admit it or not) or it must be painful to watch a LIVING girl doing the things you always wished you could do.

         I will finish off with a little AMV I found on You Tube that shows the couple (Inu Yasha and Kikyo) during her final hours. With everything I have written above, I hope that the meaning behind their words makes more sense and gives you a better appreciation for this couple who were denied the happiness they so deserved.



Inu Yasha remembers


© Copyright 2007 iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen (satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1261535-The-Priestess-and-the-Half-Demon