*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1261734-Say-Goodnight
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #1261734
Their last date as a couple.
         Matt and Delilah walked down the street as a couple for the last time, Matt was sure of it. All night they had kept their conversation light and they'd ask questions they already knew the answers to. The date had been awkward and the walk home was ten times worse. They both made an effort to start a conversation but it would fail, and a minute later they were strolling back in silence.

Matt dug his hands deep into his pockets as they approached Delilah's front lawn where they usually shared a goodnight kiss. Tonight, however, the sound of cricket's chirping and the leaves rustling only made the situation more eerie.

Delilah finally managed a half smile, down-casting her eyes and running a hand across her side-bangs; a nervous habit she had adopted. She avoided eye contact by staring at the sidewalk. As Delilah let out a sigh, she averted her eyes suddenly to Matt's. They were a confident, understanding, soft, yet distant brown, much like Delilah herself.

"I don't want this to end, but I know it must," she confessed, her voice quiet like a whisper. She mustered some sort of sad smile, "I did love you, Matt. I could say that we could be friends but it never really works out that way." She tried to hold her gaze, but it dropped.

Matt could feel his heart ache. He knew saying goodbye to Delilah would be hard. He figured anyone that had to say goodbye to her would agree. She was, for a fact, his first love. They had had a good run, but Matt had learned the hard way that everything must come to an end eventually.

"Say something," Delilah pleaded, reaching out and grabbing his arm.

Matt looked fixedly at her, attempting to say all there was to say, but could only turn away his eyes to his shuffling feet.
"I'm not good at saying goodbye," he mumbled before glancing back up at her.

"Me either," she breathed, looking over Matt's shoulder with a distant expression.

A moment passed, or maybe it was longer.

The moment was gone when Matt saw Delilah sweep her bangs away, take a step closer, and press her warm lips light on his cheek. "Goodnight, Matt," she whispered. Her distant eyes told Matt everything he already knew, reflecting every feeling he felt. As she reached the front door, Delilah turned back to him, smiled, and then went inside.

"Goodnight," Matt said quietly, almost under his breath as the front porch's light rid itself of life.
© Copyright 2007 Memory sweet 16 (memory at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1261734-Say-Goodnight