*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1262874-Runaway-With-Me-Part-One---Her-POV
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1262874
And so it goes: "You can only hold so many souls in yer "soul-box"; keep count"
Emotions.Like.A.Wildfire
Runaway With Me :Part One - Her POV:
{10 Years - "Wasteland"}

Trailing down a aphotic hallway, step by step, I am reminded of all the scars you have left me. The bruises that won't go away. The terror I faced as I sat helplessly against the cold concret wall, wrist pinned. Footsteps fill the hall, my heart starts to pound. But I won't be here for long, and I won't take this damage from you any longer. As I wait for the right moment of revenge, you sit in peace, thinking everything is beyond your control. Better hope one of your numb-skulled guards don't come around that corner.

The smoke fills the hall, I stalk down the same hall you dragged my down. That same hall you dragged dozen of helpless children down, throwing them into cells, amusing yourself. I sat back, watching, not finding a damn thing funny. I grip the gun tighter, still taking slow paced steps. I come closer and closer to my destination. The alarm roars, I grip the gun even tighter. I hear yelling, I continue to walk, finally reaching my destination. Kicking the door down, you smile. You don't dare to ask any questions as you see the pistol I stole from that guard to your temple, slowly moving it up to your head. I can see all the helpless children in my mind, flashing back, cringing from all the hits I've took. Every last scar you gave me, and everytime you laughed as I begged you to stop. So many flashbacks, and I can't take all the crying, all the screaming. All the dead bodies, and all the fear you forced them to look upon.

I pull the trigger.

No more you. The alarm roars even louder, my heart slowly beating. I turn to face the door, it seeming so far away. I smile, and make a run for it. The flashbacks return as I pass the empty cells, and as I pass one that contains a hurt soul. I stare, not sure what to do. I could run, and be gone from here. Forever. But I won't hide this soul from this terror. I feel he could possibly help. I press a code, the one I memorized each time your now-dead-body pressed it. I pull the hurt soul up, placing him on his feet.

'Can you hear me'?
A slow, painful nod.

We slowly tug to the door, his steps becoming healed as he begins to force himself to run, knowing at any given moment a guard could come, and ruin us. His hair is slick back, his eyes unfocus, dead. I tell him everything is going to be okay, and he smiles as we get to the door. 'I know'. He kicks down the door, and we sprint. The woods are spooky, and the night is so dark you can barely see. But we wouldn't let that stop us. The floodlights circle the darkness, we duck everytime it headed our way. I go back to thinking of when I pulled the trigger, putting your disgusting soul in hell where it belongs. Crouching down, he pulls me low with him. He looks around, the coast is clear. We look around once more, spotting six men, flashlights and guns running towards us. I struggle to get up, feeling a hint of regretfulness. I began to remember why I was doing this, remembering all the lives that were at stake. It seemed to help. We continued to run, coming to a ugly hault.

'Jump'.

He tells me. I look at him confused. He says it again, and I do. The drop seems so long, and it was. We splash into the water, gasping for air as I come up. We swim to safety. Or so we think. The guards look down the steep waterfall, yelling to each other to go around. The hill on the other side isn't so steep. We get up and run for it, my clothing heavier than before. Running we hide behind a huge tree, and I sit in discomfort, it's more brighter over here. He looks at me, his eyes now focused, alive, with a taste of green. I smile back, and he whispers. 'I think we made it'. Footsteps, twigs breaking, men yelling. I begin to cry, and pray for a way out. He begins to crawl, low on the ground, holding my hand. He pulls me with him. We crawl, getting up, running for our lives. The chase comes to a clear stop as I begin to think again of all the horror. All the terror inflicted in the souls that are no longer alive. Over the cliff is a creek that seems so far away, the water deadly splashing. Branches stick out of the cliff's side. He grips my hand tighter, I throw my head back, the wind rushing past us. I feel the world circling around us, as I hold him tight.

'This is the end'.

I whisper. He touches my face, I look into those greenish eyes, and kiss him goodbye. A rage rushes through me as I turn toward the men, them holding their places behind a downed tree. I smile, taking steps toward them. They begin to shoot, I smile even more. I clutch the gun, the same one I ended your life with. I reload it. He stares at me, screaming at me. Telling me there is another way out of this. I try believe him. I wonder what he will do with his life after he survives from this. I lift my head up, looking high above me, looking back down at the men. I glance back at him, tears streaming down my face. I hold the gun to my head, I pull the trigger.

And now I am safe. Forever.
© Copyright 2007 Diverse (diverse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1262874-Runaway-With-Me-Part-One---Her-POV