*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1262966-One-man-corporation
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1262966
About a week in an insane man's life. Contains a secret if you can read between the lines.
Monday
The man known simply as the Owner slowly spins around in the big leather chair. The inbox on the desk is empty, the outbox is full. A laptop is sitting on the right side of desk, showing a list of incomes and expences. The Owner calls the Receptionist over the intercom but no one answers, no one ever answers. He continues to slowly spin around in his chair. Just another day at the office.

Tuesday
The Worker is sitting in his cubicle staring at the computer screen. The report is due Friday but the Worker knows that it wont reach the Owner on schedule. Not that the report is not finished on schedule, because it is. He has tried to send a message to the Owner about this but did not get an answer. But that is no reason not to finish on schedule. It is completely quiet. Some would call it peace but to the Worker it is a sound of inaudible sadness.

Wednesday
The Secretary is sitting in the Owner's chair. He should be sitting at the desk outside but the Owner is not here and nobody comes here so he does not care. All the chores are taken care of. The contents of the outbox have been laid out for the Postman, the mail from the Postman has been put in the inbox and meetings have been scheduled. He has never actually seen the Owner but there is a portrait in the office. The Secretary thinks that they are uncannily similar in appearance.

Thursday
The Receptionist sits behind the desk. It is a nice desk made out of polished oak and placed at the entrance, next to the elevator. A message from last Wednesday lies on the desk saying there is a meeting at three o'clock on Saturday. The previous Saturday. Every week there is a message on the answering machine saying that the Owner has called but when the Receptionist tries to call back no one answers. No one ever walks through the front door and it is quiet so the Receptionist decides to have a nap.

Friday
The company Lawyer is sitting alone on a chair in the big meeting room. Next to him is a leather chair where the Owner is sitting, or is supposed to sit. Only the Lawyer comes to these meetings, even if the meetings are necessary. He has looked at the company's financial situation and it is not good. The company may have to close, and then what would happen to everybody?

Saturday
The Postman quietly walks around the office building collecting and delivering mail. The building is empty as always. The Postman wonders if everyone is at home with their family. If they have one that is, the Postman does not have one.

Sunday
The Janitor has almost finished cleaning the first floor, after that he can go home and have something to eat. He started at the top floor, the Owners floor, and worked his way down here. The building is empty as always, something that works perfectly well for the Janitor. Anyone else would probably only be in the way.
© Copyright 2007 Anton M (yahvo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1262966-One-man-corporation