*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1263804-Data-Corruption-Chapter-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Prose · Sci-fi · #1263804
This is chapter one to my novel. This chapter is titled "A LifeTime Ago."
Chapter I
“A Lifetime Ago”


The rain was coming down upon his head as he was shoved back against the wall behind him. His back hit hard against the cold stone, knocking the air out of his lungs for a brief second.
There were three of them, they moved like parasites swaying back and forth as their eyes glowed a sickly green. Patches of the “disease” covered their skin. Creatures that were once human but now corrupted by BioTech’s lust for power.
He stood his ground as they closed in. Taking a step forward towards his enemies, he uncovered his right arm preparing to attack.
His right eye analyzed their bodies in order to keep from destroying one that may be treatable.
It was pointless; the disease had become too widespread and malignant. “Understood. Commencing termination.” He said as he warped his right arm into a dark claw. From the claw he formed a gun and pointed it at his enemies. Seven red and black wings formed in front of the barrel. He pointed it down to load it with the appropriate ammunition. He had two choices: one, a blue bullet labeled purification and the second a crimson red bullet labeled termination. He chose the crimson red one.
He then raised the gun once more and his enemies attacked with claws and dripping teeth. His sky blue hair blew over his face as the wind battered him like an icy banshee wanting revenge.
After pulling the trigger, drillers in the gun’s barrel began to rotate the wings to a very fast pace. Sparks began coming from the nose and eventually formed a pitch-black ball of energy at the end. As it fired it hit the middle enemy and sucked its data back into one of the wings. “Target number is three, now adjusting to proper termination level.” The blast then adjusted itself and spread to engulf the other two.
With his enemies destroyed, he lowered the gun to the ground. The wings folded back over the barrel and transformed back into the claw, which he covered back up.
“Simulation terminated.” A computer voice announced that the training session was over.
“Very good Ovan. That’s the fifteenth perfect score today.” A woman announced over a loud speaker. She was in her late twenties and had long blonde hair and brown eyes. She wore a white lab coat and glasses and carried a chart around with her. “You can stop now, that is enough for the day.”
Ovan, one of the elite group known as the Pure Corrupt, had just finished his fifteenth training session. He turned to leave the training room but was stopped by the pulsing pain in his arm. He fell to his knee and squeezed it hard as if to stop the pain. As it subsided he got back up and walked out of the training room. He was known as the “Dragon of Death” in that in the end, it was he who chose who was too corrupt to live and who was salvageable. He could purify Dark Corrupts and turn them into Pure Corrupts. There was only one group that could not be purified and they were those whose “disease” had spread to an uncontrollable level and beyond saving; the Pure Dark Data Corrupts.
The woman, Angeline, along with a group of other observing scientists stood in awe of Ovan’s power.
“Magnificent. I wonder what Jaren did to get that kind of result from DCS.” One of the observers said.
“No matter how amazing it may seem to us Brent, that power is still very dangerous. Mutating Data Corrupt Syndrome is one thing but mutating it into something like that is just plain deadly.” Angeline said in rebuttal.


While walking down the hallway of the CDRA, Ovan was met by one of his partners, Kun, a young teenager who had also become infected but was able to control it do to his inhuman ability to heal faster than a normal human. He had short Caribbean green hair and blue eyes and stood at about six feet tall. He was just a little taller than Ovan. He wore loose black jeans, a white t-shirt and leather jacket that he always kept the sleeves rolled up on.
“You did very well today buddy. Id’a been exhausted after two rounds.” Kun said as he raised his hand to give Ovan a high five.
“I am afraid you may have mistaken who you are talking to Kun. I do not give high fives, remember?” Ovan said and then continued walking through the corridors.
Another member of Ovan’s group, a girl that was about five foot six inches with blazing red hair that was spiky on top and went down to her mid-back, wearing a biker outfit approached Kun. “Man, that guy is always such an ass. He never speaks to anyone does he? I mean not on a personal note anyway.”
Kun smirked embarrassingly while a sweatdrop fell down his head. “Can you blame im, the guy has been through hell with the whole loss of memory and brother thing and all. I know he isn’t that big of a hard case. He just needs someone who dares to get close to im. What about you Ryder? You seen Midnight anywhere around here?”
Ryder sighed: “How should I know, that hick does whatever the hell he wants to and he is always bothering Ovan so why not go ask Ovan?”
“Yeah, he does seem to hang around the bossman a lot doesn’t e’? Well, I know better than to mess with Ovan when he is in a mood.” Kun said.
Ryder looked at him and stretched her arms to the sky. “Well, how about lunch Kun? Dunno bout you but I am friggin hungry since all those training sessions.”
Kun happily nodded and together they walked down the hallway to the lunchroom.

Meanwhile Ovan stood in the courtyard of the CDRA. Coming here always calmed him. He stared at the fountain, watching the lights dance back and forth over the water. The sunglass on his right eye glistened and glowed with the lights. Pain shot through his neck and he fell to the ground gripping the bite mark from a dark memory of long ago.
“I’ll decla’, is that thang given you trouble agayan?”
Ovan quickly stood up and turned around to see who his new guest was.
A young man of about twenty-five stood leaning against a tree with his arms crossed. He looked at Ovan with his emerald eyes and smiled. His dusty brown hair blew with the breeze. He was wearing a white coat and a red long sleeved shirt, with the sleeves going over the original coat and black pants and boots that went over the bottoms of his pants.
“Hello Midnight. I did not see you in training.” Ovan said as he relaxed at his team mate’s appearance.
“Oh yaya, that, well ya’ll know how I jus’ hate them. I cain’t bear to listen to them rantin on about how good ya ar’. But ayas w’all know ya’ll ar the bayest.” He said as he walked to Ovan’s side and stared at the fountain. “I cain’t help but notice that you like to come hea a lot. Any particula reason?”
Ovan looked at him and then at the fountain. “I come here when I…need to be alone.”
Midnight took it as an insult but kept to himself. “You don’ sleep much eitha. Seems like ya always awn patrowl at nite.”
Ovan didn’t answer. He just kept staring at the water, feeling peaceful and relaxed.
“Too many nightmayas?” Midnight just kept pushing for an answer.
“When I sleep, images come through my mind and cause me to toss and turn. It is the same every night. I do not like to sleep, it is too much of a pain.” Was Ovan’s response.
“I see. So…..” Midnight was interrupted by the siren that rang throughout the building.

Angeline ran through the halls shoving people out of the way. “What the hell is going on?”
“Glad you made it. It appears that there have been two more cases of PDDC attacks. We just got word that they are at a higher Beta-Data-Level than the team of PDCs that we sent after them the first time!” Brent said as he frantically typed on his monitor. “Two of the four PDCs that we sent have come back.”
“And the other two?” Angeline asked in a panic.
Brent stopped typing and sat still.
“I see. Inform their parents later in the week. We will have memorials built for them. What BDL are the PDDCs?” she sat beside him in an empty seat.
He clicked on an icon reading ‘BDL infra red’. “I am reading them at about a 4.5 bdls. They are a pretty high rank. I believe that the DCS has become too pure to extract and purify.”
“Very well. Send Ovan and his team. He should be able to bring them in.”
Brent nodded his agreement with Angeline’s decision.


Ovan walked down the hallway with Midnight at his side. Kun and Ryder’s sudden yelling interrupted the two young mens’ silence.
“There you two are! Where the hell you been?! Ryder screamed.
Kun spoke to Midnight. “It seems that there are some very high level PDDCs attacking people downtown. The higher ups have ordered us to go and take care of them.”
“The way ya’ll approached it seemed the like the whole world was on fiya. What exactly happened?” Midnight responded to Kun in an annoyed tone.
Kun and Ryder both looked away. “Two of the PDCs we sent after them were killed.” Kun said in a low voice.
Ovan looked down at the floor. “Then we will handle this as ordered.”
They all nodded their agreement.

As they entered the briefing room and sat down, Angeline walked in with the dog tags of the fallen. “As you all can see, the bdls of these particular PDDCs are abnormally high. It appears that BioTech has received a new source of funding for new technologies to use in its research. As a result, we have been asked to heighten our activities against BioTech and strengthen our forces. This means that there will be more training sessions, more classes, and less free time than any of you are used to. I must admit, I honestly do not know how someone could be so cruel as to destroy innocent lives like the CEO does.”
Kun hammered his fists against the desk. “Well why the hell hasn’t someone made a move to kill that bastard? We should plan on assassinating him so we can put an end to BioTech permanently!”
Ovan sat with his legs and arms crossed and his eye closed.
Midnight agreed with Kun.
Angeline turned on a hologram behind her of a security videotape. “Because BladeEdge got to him first and he is now in a mental facility. BioTech ordered a complete shut down of a whole northern facility after the net monster was created. I believe that this particular facility has been re-opened by the CEO’s nephew. This is where the trouble really starts. As you all know and as I have said, the original CEO of BioTech, Clarence Borin, was attacked by the very net monster he created and now his nephew Rupert is in control and creating even higher level PDDCs. That is where we must focus our attention.”
Ryder was the next to respond. “Why not go with Kun’s idea? If Rupert is responsible then why not go for him and the PDDCs later?”
This time Ovan spoke up. “Because, Borin is protected by the Union. It is against protocol to attack someone protected by law. We are merely here to control the spread of the “infection” and therefore barred from personal conflicts with BioTech or any of its head researchers.”
Hesitantly, Angeline nodded. “This is true. We can only hope that the political fights being put up by Doctor Jaren are gaining grounds. Other than that, all we can do is control things here. You are……”
Once again the alarm sounded and Angeline wrapped up her speech. “Alright, go, go, go, go! Ovan, they can’t be saved.”
Ovan nodded. “Understood.”

******************************************************************
“Someone help me!” a girl’s scream could be heard ringing throughout the streets.
Five pursuers chased her growling and snarling, running on all fours like animals.
“What do you want? Please leave me alone!” she said and tripped over a curb and fell to the ground. She looked back over her shoulder and saw them getting closer. “Oh God, please, please save me.”
A blade attached to a long chain wrapped itself around one of the beasts. “Hey you bastards, why not play a game with us instead? We are a bit more fun.”
All the creatures looked back at Kun.
Ryder was the next to jump in. She grappled with one of the creatures with glowing fists and feet. Her eyes glowed as well. “You monsters really piss me off, you know that?”
Midnight sent an energy blast at the third beginning the battle. His eyes glowed a radiant green. “Ya’ll reallay oughta not to have dun tha’t. Messin with a little ladeh is against a gentlemen’s code a’ conduct but then agayan,” he paused and launched another blast and then smiled. “I gauss you crittas ain’t gentlemainly enough.”
Ovan reached his hands behind his back and pulled out two barrel guns. He slammed the backs of them down onto clips that rested in his belt. His right eye scanned his remaining enemy. “Understood. Termination is eminent.” He said and, pulled out a pair of double barrel guns and pointed the guns at the enemy. He let out a barrage of bullets from both guns.
The creature dodged every shot that was fired its way.
Ovan stood shocked at the creature’s resilience. He dodged my bullets. He is a tad bit more resilient than I thought. “Fine. Understood.”
Ovan reloaded the barrels and shot again, releasing the full force of his Pyralis Guns against the PDDC only to miss again. “Damn.” He called over his shoulder to Midnight. “I can not seem to hit any of them.”
Midnight landed on his feet after flipping over his foe. “I hea ya. I ain’t been able ta hit im eitha. What is tha deal with these thangs?”
At that moment Ryder hit the ground next to Midnight with a loud thump. “Damn these things! What the hell?!”
The girl walked up behind Ovan and touched his back. “Excuse me, who are you guys? What are those things?”
Ovan didn’t reply. He just kept firing bullets at the enemies. He finally managed to hit one with a single bullet.
Midnight bumped hard into Ovan’s back. “Wail what nao? I have neva seen yoa bullets from your legendary double guns myuss as often as thay hayav this evenin.”
“Tch.” Ovan said as he rescanned the enemy in order to use his Data Gunner. “Subject Pure Dark Data Corrupt, purification statistics at zero percent. Options include only one: termination.” He replaced his double barrel guns with his data claw that he soon transformed into his gun. He loaded it with the crimson red bullet labeled termination. The wings unfolded from the barrel and began spinning rapidly as he pulled the trigger. The ball of energy collecting at the end of the gun shot forward with an awesome force. “Number of enemies equal to five, making alterations to destroy. Separation commencing.” After those words, Ovan altered the blast to spread into five separate parts. Each collided with its target and pulled its dark data out of it and into the Data Gunner Wings. With their DCS removed, the once hosts lay on the ground lifeless and drained of energy. The Gun’s wings folded back over the barrel and transformed back into the claw which Ovan quickly recovered. “Mission complete.” He said and pulled out his cell phone. “Yes. It is me. Objective complete.”
The girl walked around Midnight and walked into Ovan’s line of sight. “Thank you. You saved me.”
Midnight, seeing that Ovan had no desire to talk, took over the conversation. “You aw wailcome. Forgive hyum, he ain’t exactly sociable. Any pawticula reason thayat ya’ll were bayin chased?”
The girl turned her back to him. “One of them was my ex-boyfriend. He came to my concert last night and demanded that I take him back. He is such a terd but I never wanted him to die. I never knew he was sick. He never told me. I didn’t know and now I feel so bad for him.”
Ovan looked over his shoulder at her. He understood what it was like to lose something important but had no idea to the pain it left.
Kun came up to her and put his hand on her shoulder. “So what is your name little missy?”
The girl looked up at Kun. “Oh sorry, my name is Avril Makeay. I am a singer and a high school student. What are your names?”
Kun looked at Midnight for clues as to what to say. He sent him a telepathic message. So what do we do? Do we tell her our true names or what? Is it not against company policy to give our real names?
I don know. Neva beyun asked. I wood ayusk Ovan but e’s got is mind closed agayun. Was the reply.
Avril made her way over to Ovan. She examined him thoroughly and then pulled a piece of paper out of her pocket. She extended her hand to his and pressed the paper into it.
Ovan looked down at her.
“That is a ticket to my next concert. I have a feeling that you need a vacation. Consider it a gift for saving me. Please tell me your name.” she said and leaned into his space.
Ovan ignored her and pretended to be interested elsewhere.
She also recited a phone number to him. “12426797737.”
Ovan blinked curiously. “Hmm?”
She smiled a cute smile. “That is my cell number. Feel free to use it if you need to.”
Ovan turned away from her. He made a hand signal to his team to move out.
Midnight gave her a half solute. “See ya’ll lata. Much obliged to meet ya lil ladie.”
Kun nodded his approval and winked. “See ya.”
Ryder just hmphed and left.
“Ovan.”
Avril cocked her head confused. “Hmm?”
“My name. My name is Ovan.” He said and turned to leave.
Avril started to reach towards him. Her heart was pounding in her chest. She felt herself blush as she softly said his name. “Ovan.”

***************************************************************
The next day at her school, Avril sat at her desk doodling in her notebook. She constantly wrote Ovan’s name and decorated it while sighing heavily.
A friend of hers, an average sized girl with bouncy blonde hair wearing her school uniform turned around in her chair. “Hey. Avi. Hey, whatcha writing?”
Avril didn’t respond and kept doodling.
“HEY AVI!!!!!!!!!”
The girl yelled snapping Avril out of her dream state. “Ack, oh, did you call me Shara? What is it?”
Shara turned to sit backwards on her chair. “Hmmmmmm, boy do you got it bad. Whoever this Ovan character is has you wrapped around his little finger. So just who is this guy anyway?”
Avril’s face heated as she thought of her encounter with Ovan. “I just met him yesterday but he was just so sweet. Something in his eye. It was just so sad. I wanted to just run to him and hold him.” She paused when she saw the confusion in her friend’s face.
“Eye? So he is a Cyclops?” Shara asked sarcastically.
“No, his other one was injured. I can’t explain it Shara. The minute I saw him, I knew that I needed to know him better. He made my heart pound like it never has. Even when I was dating Mark. I never felt that way towards anyone. It was just….” She stopped and looked out the window at the falling rain.
Shara smiled and then giggled. “You like this guy uber bad don’t ya Avi? Sounds to me like he gotcha at first sight. He must be a real babe. So what does he look like?”
Avril smiled and closed her eyes. “He was beautiful Shara. He had spiky sky blue hair with gentle kisses of white frosted into the blue but it wasn’t hard, it was very soft and fluffy. It just barely kissed the back of his neck. His skin was very fair and a sort of pale color. I don’t think he gets out much. His eye was like a smooth amethyst stone and shined a radiant purple. His body was the most beautiful thing. I could see the muscles beneath his black shirt. He also had his name tattooed on his shoulder. Shara, I can’t explain it. The only word I can think of is just not enough. He was just so beautiful that I think I am going to write a song about him.”
Shara smiled. “He sounds wonderful looking but you know Avi, he could be just as big of a jerk as Mark was.”
Avril shook her head. “No Shara, I know he is gentle. I know he is sincere. I want…need to see him again.”
Shara nodded her head in determination. She took Avril’s hands in hers and with a fire of passion in her eyes said. “Avi, I promise you that we will see this dream guy of yours. I, Shara Crowly will help you find your man and win his heart, I promise you!”
Avril smiled embarrassingly. “Uh….thank you Shara.”
Shara stood up to lean on Avril’s desk. “Alright. Where can we start looking for him? Surely he lives somewhere close if you met him near the school right?”
Avril hesitantly nodded.
“Well then, we just have to locate his apartment or house or whatever. Please tell me you gave him some way to contact you.”
Again Avril nodded.
“Good girl.” Shara said. “Now…”
“But…I don’t think he’ll come.” Avril shyly said with a hint of sadness in her voice.
Shara sat back down and looked at Avril with a hint of depression. “Aw, why not Avi?”
Tears welled up in her eyes. “Forget it Shara. He would never want me. He didn’t even seem interested in me in the very least. I could never, ever hope to have him. I must forget him.”
Shara touched Avril’s trembling hands. “Avi, if he truly is the man you believe he is then destiny will find a way. You write your song and someday your heart will reach across time to his.”
Avril looked up at her friend with trembling eyes. She suddenly felt a sense of determination well up inside her. She took out her notebook of songs and turned it to a blank page. “I will Shara, I will write this song. Maybe it will bring my soul mate to my arms someday.”
Shara smiled. “That’s my girl! Let’s get this party started! What’s the title?!”
Avril closed her eyes to think. “I can honestly say that I am not sure yet. I need time first. I will call you later with the details.”
Shara nodded her consent. “Alright, I will wait for you to call me later. Besides, I think class is about to start.”
Avril nodded as the Professor walked into the class followed shortly by the bell to begin class. She looked out the window and entered back into her dream state. Ovan. Where are you now? I wonder what you are doing.

****************************************************************
Angeline stood in front of the team and congratulated them on a job well done. “That was very good but if what you are telling me is true then BioTech’s DCs are becoming even more developed than we thought. And the fact that they are now targeting not only our undercover patrol teams shows that BioTech is becoming even more deadly in its attempt to take over the world using this disease. We will have to start to search for the other Pures and bring them into the CDRA. We are running low on teams. I am sure that I do not have to inform all of you about just how dire this situation has become. I am also going to inform you that you are permitted to retire to your normal housing additions for scouting purposes until further notice.” She stopped and looked at Ovan. “Of course Ovan, you must have your arm bound within the restraining band that was made for you by Jaren. You have done this before right?”
Ovan nodded.
“Good. You are dismissed. Keep in touch with each other and your squad leader at all times and absolutely do not hesitate to call for back up should it become necessary!” Angeline watched as all of them left. She looked at Ovan and asked him to stay. “Ovan, I have some news that may be of value to you. You know of the ‘Net Monster’ do you not?”
Ovan looked at her with a determined glare.
“I have heard reports that he has once again moved against the United Order. Another Council member fell prey to him just a few days ago. Please be on your guard and watch at all times. You are the only one who can even remotely give him a fight.” Angeline said as she sat down and brought her hands up to rest her chin on them. “Take care Ovan. Be careful. Jaren would never forgive me if something happened to his son.”
Ovan did not respond but instead walked out of the room and let the door close behind him.


Ovan was met in the hall by none other than Morganna Long, the technician responsible for taking care of Ovan’s arm and weapon repairs. She had long black hair that she always wore in a bun on top of her head and round glasses. She looked at Ovan with her thin blue eyes and smiled. “Welcome Ovan. I hear that you need your arm hidden again.”
Ovan did not offer any response. He had never trusted Morganna and always made it a point to know her whereabouts. “Silence Morganna. I just need this done. Let us do it.”
Morganna frowned. She did not like being condescended by anyone. She forced herself to smile. “Very well Ovan. Shall we enter my lab?”
She waited until he entered and then closed the door. As she was getting her tools to work on Ovan’s arm, she plotted against him and the CDRA. Nothing would please me more than ripping that pretty body of his apart. Such a work of art with such a precious secret would be a pleasure to tear open.
Ovan removed his arm cover revealing the corruption that lay on it. Morganna placed a silver wristband on his wrist and in an instant the claw warped and twisted to become a normal arm. It hurt Ovan for a few seconds and then he regained his composure.
“That feel better?” Morganna asked.
Ovan nodded and then quickly left her alone in her den to return to his room in order to get a change of clothes. He decided on a white t-shirt and blue jeans with a blue jean jacket and black sunglasses and a pair of black boots. He then packed all of the repair equipment in case his arm band ruptured or broke. He also packed some extra bullets since his Data Gunner was unavailable as long as he was a civilian. His Double Guns were his first weapon and often his weapon of choice. The bullets were made of the purest iron and silver mixed with a new mineral known as Cenium that was found after the last world war. It had the capability to break through even steel reinforced doors. This deadly mix could kill any DDC that he came up against and had never once failed him. The barrels were a sleek black Cenium metal making them very heavy and hard to maneuver. Carved into the metal was the symbol of his Data Beast Pyralis. This was also the name he had chosen to give his guns. After he had packed, he departed the CDRA building for the garage down below it.
He walked up to an object covered by a black tarp and pulled it away revealing a sleek black motorcycle endowed with the same Pyralis symbol. It had been a while since he had ridden it. “Hello again, it has been a long time. It seems as though it was a lifetime ago.” He said revving up the engine and driving off out of the CDRA and towards his human residence.

******************************************************************
In the darkness of a cold and dismal land, a dark figure sat upon a chair that stood high in the void of his domain. Data fragments floated freely around him buzzing on and off. One of these Data Remnants took the shape of a small dragon and flew up to him and came to rest on one of his clawed hands. It buzzed a few times to its master and then flew away and disassembled into fragments.
The chime of clock rang throughout the darkness a total of twelve times and then resumed its steady tick tick tick. Pendulums swung freely as if they had nothing holding them in place.
The figure raised its head and smiled, revealing large white, dripping fangs. “And…..s…..o……i……t……be…….gins…..my……dear…..Ov……..an……..” it said as its eyes glowed a burning and hateful burnt orange.
A snarl from below him announced its presence. A shadow of a draconic creature lay beneath him. “It…..ha…..s…..b……een…….a……li……fe……ti……me…….ag……..o.”
© Copyright 2007 BladeEdge (bladeedgerave at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1263804-Data-Corruption-Chapter-1