*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1264661-My-Guardian--Angel-Part-One
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Drama · #1264661
A girl enters a world of despair.
It wasn't supposed to happen... But it did. I remember December 9th, 2004 like it was yesterday. Only except that it was two years ago. Two years of anger and despair. Two year of running away from the people who loved me. But I couldn't face them not know not even ever. I would always run...........

''You guys were good today.'' I commented to my boyfriend Mike Nunez-Delgado of two years as we crossed the now desolated intersection of Avon and Market on our way home. As team captain of his schools basketball team, Mike had lead his team to an undefeated five game winning streak. He laughed and put his arm around my shoulders. "That's it. We were just good?" I smiled. "I don't want you getting too excited. You're not in the semifinals just yet." We're winning that championship, Angel. You just see." I shook my head. Knowing Mike when he set his heart on something he was steadfast. I thought that was a good feature, even though I didn't want to entirely burst his pride bubble.

"You see all over this?" Mike motioned to the closed shops and 24 hour corner stores. " I want to bring back life to the barrio [neighborhood]. I see kids who only need to have a dream and they can accheive anything." "Hard work is involved too ya' know." I interjected. "True." Mike argreed. "But I'm tired of the old sterotypes in our neighborhood. That the only thing you can do is stand on the corner or fix cars.
"Everyone knows that's not true." "Oh really? Then why are mi chales [brothers that don't have to be related] aiming so low. They need esperanza [hope] and a dream." "What they need is a reality check." I retorted. "Yes, you need a dream to help you through tough times but you need to live in reality." Mike laughed.

We quietly walked toghether for some time, each thinking their own thoughts. From the viajes [old men] to the youngest tot, the entire neighborhood knew Mike had a mean eye for the basket. He called me his 'guardian angel'. He said whenever I came to his games I would help him win his games. I laughed to myself as we continued walking up Avon. How had I possibly help him. Tonight Mike introduced me to some of the NBA scouts recuiting him. I had acted too shy. After all who was I ? Angel Rodriguez, a up and coming poet and writer. What did I know about basketball and the numerous deals that plaugued Mike each basketball season.
Then I heard a violent crack or boom that sounded like fireworks. I turned around to see Mike lying in cold blood.My world suddenly darkened. That's when my two-year nighmare began.....................

I turned to see his helpless face. Sweat made my palms numb as I dailed 911 on my cell. Running back to Mike, I saw to my horror a gunshot wound to his upper torso. I looked up in time to see a dark sedan speeding down the street. Now placing full attention towards my boyfriend. Trying so hard to remain calm, I applied pressure to his wound. Mike squeezed my hand as I had asked him to. It was limp and cold. The both of us were stranded with no help on a desolated street corner, victims of a drive-by shooting. Softly his hand left mine and dropped to the hard cement sidewalk. "MIKE, MIKE!!!" There was nothing to do but stay at his side until the EMTs showed up. Tears streamed down my face. I sobbed and refused to be comforted when the ambulance arrived some ten minutes later. Somehow that night I had in some way died also.
© Copyright 2007 Phoenix (leacarmen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1264661-My-Guardian--Angel-Part-One