*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1264987-lost-child
by angel
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1264987
a stranger's attempt at helping a child gives her back something far greater
I watched the girl from the window, as I sat sipping from my glass. The first thing I noticed about her was how tattered and worn her clothes were. She looked like she hadn't had a bath in weeks! Her hair was all black and plastered to her head, there wasn't even shoes on her feet. My first thought was to leave her alone and let her going on, but a nagging inside of me wouldn't let it be. I walk to the door and stood on the step's looking down at the small little child. "When was the last time you had something to eat"? The little girl shrugged than looked away, her skin looking to big for her small little frame. "Why don't you come in to eat something, I have some left over meatloaf and a slice of cake." I tilted my head to the door, watching as the little girl's big brown eyes sparkled with hunger. "Really, you won't call someone to come and get me will you"? "No, not tonight anyways." She nodded and stood, than came threw the door. For the first time she had a smile on her face. " So do you at least have a first name"? I pored her a glass of milk and sat it in front of her. Quickly she guzzled it down and asked for more. "Suzie, my name is Suzie." "Nice to meet you Suzie my name is Helen." I heated up the meatloaf and gave it to her, she ate as if she never saw food before. A knot formed in the back of my throat and I wondered what had happen to this little girl. "Suzie were are your parent's, want they be worried about you"? Suzie's eye's filled with tears and she gave a little siffle. "Daddy left me and mommy along time ago." "Ok so were's your mommy"? The little girl swallowed her food and gave a little squeek when she spoke. "Mommy had to go to heaven, she was to sick and she couldn't stay anymore." I felt tears welling in my on eyes and I had turn away. "Why don't you stay here tonight, I have and extra bed and you can take a nice long bath." "I'll even was your clothes well your in the tub." Once again her eyes lite up and she smiled. "Really"? "Sure, I'll go draw you a bath and find you something to sleep in."
© Copyright 2007 angel (angelajobe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1264987-lost-child