*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1265076-Dead-Mans-Bouquet
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1265076
A mini horror proving that the poor are truly destitute.
In the town of Paris, in the western part of Maine lived an impoverished young bachelor who was deeply smitten by a maiden who lived on the edge of Lake Christopher.

One Sunday evening the poor young man started on the five mile walk across town to call upon the lady who he was sure he would love for all eternity. He had no gift nor fresh flowers to present to her as was the custom in those far gone days, so he walked along somber and dejected.

Walking past a cemetery beside the dirt road, the young man spied a bouquet of daisies left near an unattended and newly filled grave. After careful deliberation he sneaked into the graveyard and took the arrangement. Thinking that the dear departed soul would not begrudge the petty larceny, he proceeded on in the moonlight.

Suddenly he heard a ghostly voice proclaim, "Bring those back, they belong to the dead."

Though he tried to ignore the voice, the bone chilling shrieks continued and echoed behind him. "Bring those back, they belong to the dead. Bring those back, they belong to the dead!"

He hurried the last hundred yards at a rapid pace, only to find the young lady's front door bordered in black, and her swooning in tears of grief at the sight of the flowers. Her father had died and was buried just that morning.

The young man dropped the bouquet and ran into eternal darkness, followed by a mournful voice calling, "They belong to the dead!"

It is a sin to court a young lady with flowers that belong to the dead.


274 Words


****Like many tales of 'horror' this story is really a take-off and retelling of another story, this one by Joe Perham of South Paris, Maine. I recommend you check out his website and talent! http://www.joeperham.com

Submitted to
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1396607 by Not Available.
23 March 2008
© Copyright 2007 Lou-Here By His Grace (tattsnteeth2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1265076-Dead-Mans-Bouquet