*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1265307-A-red-door
by Megs
Rated: E · Other · Inspirational · #1265307
just thoughts while I was trying to fall asleep...
I opened a red door and found myself standing on a ledge. The ledge split in two directions, and there were two lines of people heading in one direction or the other. I chose the ledge on the right. A man stood in line ahead of me. I pointed over the side of the ledge and he looked. Beneath us was endless darkness lit up by single flames, some places much brighter than others. We could hear noises and voices coming from the abyss. "What is that place?" I asked him.

"That's the world," he said, and our line moved up. "What are those?" I asked, pointing to the lights.

"Those are the people who want to make a difference," he said. I asked him a third question. "And the people who don't want to make difference?"

He pointed to the other ledge. A long line of people was snaking down a flight of steps into the world. I turned back to look at the man, and realized that I was at the front of the line. A hand reached out ad gave me a white candle, glowing with warmth. I cupped it in my own hands and started descending down a separate flight of stairs, one illuminated by others' candles. I reached the last step and squinted through the dark. I took my first step into the dark world and began to look for someone to share my light with.
© Copyright 2007 Megs (smartgirl59 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1265307-A-red-door