*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1265414-Reveille
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Military · #1265414
The first chapter of a work in progress, inspired by my life in the Marine Corps.
This has got to be the longest, darkest road I have ever seen in my life. Although the bus is full, the uncomfortable silence of anticipation is deafening. My watch tells me it's after midnight but not a soul is sleeping on this poor excuse for public transportation. I'm sitting over the wheel well, probably the must uncomfortable seat on the bus, but it's the seat I have preferred since I was in middle school. The bus slows down to a noticable crawl, when I see a light ahead. The illuminated sign of scarlet and gold reads "U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, South Carolina. Before today I have never left New Jersey, well, except for a few trips to Hershey Park, and Washington, DC, but they hardly count. Looking at that sign in the darkness brought about an eerie mood. It was as if time had frozen and I had all the time in the world to contimplate this life changing decision. I look around the bus, and feel pretty relieved that everyone else looks scared shitless as well.

So here it is, our civillian life is nearing the end of it's "death march", and three months from now, those of us who prove worthy will be "reborn" as United States Marines. The bus stops, it's airbreaks hiss like a sigh of relief, as if it were mocking what we are about to endure. A shadowy, giant of a man steps on to the bus. This is the point where the rollercoaster has reached it's apex, and all you can do is wait for the rush as it plummets to the ground; you don't want it to happen, but it's inevitable. "Welcome to Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island " He began to ramble on about a few rules and regulations, but I was unable to hear his voice over my own thoughts. At this moment in time the only thought going through my brain was "This was a big mistake"

Perhaps I can ask this "pissed off lumberjack on steroids" if I could change my mind. I'm sure i'm not the only recruit with a change of heart. I'll just wait until everyone files off the bus to pull him aside and explain how this is a big misunderstanding. Maybe I can confess my
© Copyright 2007 S.G. Wiley (tewright77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1265414-Reveille