*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1266159-The-cedar-creek-ghost
Rated: E · Short Story · Ghost · #1266159
this is a short story that i hope hants your dreams
The Cedar Creek Ghost

You have all heard stories about ghost and how everyone has a true story to tell…. Well I to have one and this is it………

I live in a house not far from seven points Texas Very close to cedar Creek Lake. One night while I was fishing I saw him. At first I thought it was just a light from a near by boat but as it got closer I saw that it was no boat but an elderly man on a barge made of logs and powered by a long stick that he plunged into the water. The man looked to be around seventy years old and had a long white beard and an old hat that bent up in the front the man also wore an old pare of overalls with a hole in the knee. As the barge moved slowly over the water you can hear the man sing “I’m going down the river just singing my song and I ain’t doing nothing all day long” he sang his song until he came to the bridge were he vanished. I thought I was just seeing things so I blew it off and kept fishing. When I caught my limit of fish I loaded my truck and went home. When I got home I told my wife what had happened and she said that I was just tired so I left it at that. Two days later I decided to go back to that same spot were I was fishing and this time I took my camera. The night was quiet until twelve thirty. that’s when I saw him again coming coming across the lake singing “I’m going down the river just singing my song and I ain’t doing nothing all day long” but this time as he floated by I snapped a picture of him but when I did he looked at me and vanished. This time I had proof I could show my wife. So like before I loaded my truck and went home but this time with picture in hand. She just looked at me with a strange look on her face and said that it was a light from a passing boat and that I needed my rest again so we went to bed. I didn’t go back to that lake for a month but one night I decided to go fishing so I got in my truck and headed for the lake. As I was crossing the bridge headed to the same spot of the lake were I had been fishing before I had to stop because the road was blocked because someone drove off into the lake. As I slowly drove be the seen I heard one of the rescue crew  tell everyone that it is a lost cause and no one could have survived a crash like that. But for some reason I had to get to my fishing spot and that was all that mattered so I brushed off the crash by just saying a small prayer and went on to my spot. When I got there and finely got my line into the water it was already twelve twenty nine. Had I missed the old singing man? No because one minute later I heard the song that I heard the past two times but the words were changed now he sang “ we’re going down the river just singing our song and we ain’t doing nothing all day long” this time there were two men on the barge and as it got closer I recognized who the other man was and I began to cry because the other man was me. I didn’t know what to do, was that my truck that wrecked? Am I dead? I don’t really know but what I do know is if you are out on cedar creek lake at twelve thirty at night and you see an old barge that has an old man singing on it don’t let him see you or you may be next to sing his song.
         
© Copyright 2007 Night Stalker (nightstalker13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1266159-The-cedar-creek-ghost