*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1266747-The-Nightmare-Begins
by Uxie
Rated: GC · Fiction · Fantasy · #1266747
...just a memory. The dark one has returned! Can the king stop him? Or is he to powerful?
Peace, harmony and tranquility…all just a distant memory now. A memory of a life I once had…a life we all once had.

         Now was a time of celebration! The five hundred year anniversary of the day when the dragons had taken control and were able to end the long and agonizing war. That was the day the dark one and his followers were banished, and the black magic was sealed way forever, and when Leston became the capital city for all of the magical creatures. The streets were illuminated by torches and filled with joyous people, playing games, eating food and celebrated this wonderful occasion.
         It seemed so picture perfect. It was a beautiful day, and a crystal clear night. Everyone was having a wonderful time. Looking up at the clear night sky you could see the full moon and the stars in the heavens shining brightly.
         The King watched from a distance standing near the palace gates, everything was perfect. When his time came to pass the throne he would do it with out a second thought knowing it was going to be taken over by someone who would take good care of everyone. With a soft gaze he looked up to the heavens above, running his fingers though his long white hair he smiled, he would be joining his beloved wife soon. Though the thought of leaving earth pained him, he couldn’t help but smile at the thought of joining his wife once more. Then it happened…
         A small summer breeze blew though the trees, it was soft at first but then it started to pick up, then it turned bitter cold, as it ran though the streets it blew out all of the torches simultaneously. Dark clouds soon hid the perfect mid-summer nights sky. Lightning started to lace though them.
            “I cannot believe it.” The elder king watched in horror. “Get everyone inside, or to a safe place!” he called out to the guards.
         The guards ran though the streets doing all they could to get everyone safe. Chaos and terror ran over the city. The black magic was supposed to be locked away forever, but something had happened, something released it. Someone released him…
         “Itchia!” he yelled.
         A solider ran to the king and bowed. He was the commanding chief. What he said goes. His command was only second to the king when it came to the army. He was always top of his classes, and an amazing strategist, a true genius in the field of battle.
         “Itchia, get your men ready for battle!” The king knew the dark one would not come alone, and that his army was near.
         “Yes sir!” he said and ran off wasting no time.
         A cold breeze raced though the palace. The king knew now were the dark one was. He was showing himself to the king, he wanted the king to come.
         Making his way down the long corridors the temperature was dropping rapidly. When the king finally made it to the end he was greeted by two very large and now frosty doors. the dark one was on the other side waiting for him, he knew it. When the king grabbed the frost covered handles and ripped the doors open large blast of icy cold air pushed him back causing him to trip and almost fall. When he regained his composer he walked in, the only light that illumined the room was what came in from the opened doors, and though it wasn’t enough to fill the enormous room it was enough to be able to make something out. The dark one was sitting on his throne.
         With a smirk the dark one stood and slowly walked down the carpet walkway. His foot stepped echoing though he room faintly, by looking at him you would never be able to tell he had been locked up for five hundred years, he was very well groomed, his black hair was loosely pulled back, his skin was rather pale and his eyes could pierce into your soul. As for his attire he was wearing a very fine cut pants, blood red silk shirt, and over his shoulders lay a black cape with a golden clasp that shimmered in the little light that filled the room. “It is so good to see you.” He sounded amused but his voice undertones were cold and dark.
         “Emoto!” The king yelled.
         “I am impressed you know my name.” The dark one smirked.
         “Get out!”
         “Oh now why would I want to do that?” he asked slyly. Emoto wasn’t stupid, he had the upper hand in this battle it was an obvious fact. The spell they had used to lock him away had another effect time did not touch him. So as time passed him by he stayed still and young collecting energy, and gaining power, but generations passed for everyone else. The ones who banished him were long and dead. Now it was there great grandchildren’s burden. But the times had changed and they were at a great disadvantage, over the past five hundred years magic and combat were no longer important and only taught to the ones who wanted to learn, were as before they were not only mandatory, but crucial for surviving.
         The king knew his only choice was hold to him off. He was to old to stop him, to weak to fight. Maybe fifty years ago he could have stood a chance but not any more.
         “If you give me your throne now, your death will be quick and painless.” Emoto said a wicked grin plastered on his face.
          “And if I refuse?”
         “I will touchier you till the point were you are barely still alive, and begging for death.” The words begging for death seemed to slip out of his mouth in a satisfactory way, he wanted to see the king be touchier, to watch him cry out for mercy and beg for death. “But death will never come, I will keep you alive as long as I can so you can watch your precious kingdom fall, and there will be nothing you can do about it.”
         “You will never take Leston!”
         “Who are you to stop me? You are weak and old. Your life is almost at its end already.”
         “I may be old but that does not mean I am weak. And I will fight you until I breath my last breathe.”
         Emoto started to grow impatient, “enough! This ends here!” he yelled creating two black orbs one in each hand. A blue flame wrapped around the kings’ body, when it vanished a long slender dragon stood boldly. Spreading his wings and took off into the air. Emoto brought his hands together the two dark orbs joined together, and he threw it at the king hitting him in the chest. The king fell to the ground but was still able to hold his dragon form. He was getting weaker; this battle would soon be over.
            Getting to his feet a black smoke still came from the wound, the pain was intense but the feeling of helplessness and the thought of what will happen to his kingdom was overwhelming.  He knew he had to keep trying until he was dead so he took off into the air once more.
         “You cockroach!” Emoto growled holding his hands out, the black orbs reappearing in his palms.
         The king watched him carefully getting higher up. Then he pulled his wings back, dived down. He was using himself as a weapon!
         Emoto took a few steps back in shock and shot the two orbs at the king. If one were to hit it would be the end of the king. To dodge the attack and prolong his defeat he spread his wings again pulling up making his way back to the ceiling.
         Emoto shot one more blast at him and he was flying up, it scrapped against his back and then exploded. The force of the explosion itself sent the king falling, landing on the ground with a hard thud.
         “Pathetic,” Emoto walked towards him a wicked grin on his lips he then drew his sword. “I thought you would at least try to put up a little more of a fight.”
         As Emoto came closer the king watched weakly. In desperation he tried one last thing. When Emoto was only a step away, the king lashed out biting down on Emotos’ arm. Unfortunately because of this the sword went though the kings hard pallet and out threw his skull, killing him on impact. But he had left his mark on Emoto. His teeth had gone threw his skin and bone, not enough to sever it but enough to do permanent damage no matter how powerful Emotos magic was he would never be able to make the scars vanish completely.
         “Sonova-!” Emoto released the sword pulling his arm out. Quickly he pressed his wounded arm against his side and clasped his left hand over the main damage areas. “I guess you had a little bite left after all.” He grunted kicking the dragon. “To bad you weren’t smart enough to dodge the blade.”
         It was over. Emoto had killed the king, and destroyed his army. Leston was now his. Emoto was in power once again; for once he was the king of the capital city nothing would dare stand in his way.
         One of his assistance scurried in, “Sir! We have a bit of a problem!”
         “How? The King is dead, Leston is mine!” He said walking back and sat on the throne. His left hand started to glow a deep black and his arm healed, but you could still see the deep scars of the once torn flesh though the ripped shirtsleeve.
         “W-Well…yes…that would be…of course…I-If the Prince does not take the throne by the years end.” He squeaked afraid he was going to face Emotos wrath.
         “W-What?!” Emotos face turned red with anger, a black aurora surrounded his body, his power was growing stronger with his rage.
         “T-There is nothing we could do…he got away…and everyone…knows he is alive…” He quivered in fear. “A-And if he does die…because he was still alive…and you cannot prove his death… you can’t become king until years end.”
         “Then find him! And kill him! Bring his body back to me so we can show them his body! Or better yet…bring him back to me alive…so I can kill him myself…”
         “Y-Yes sir!” He ran out as fast as he could.
         “Leston will be mine…” Emoto sat on the kings throne “Its only a matter of time. The little prince can’t run forever...and if he doesn’t return by the years end… I will become king no matter what. He can’t win!” Emoto threw his head back laughing malevolently.
         Screams of terror and pain ran though the kingdom as Emotos army destroyed everything they had worked so hard for. It seemed as if Emoto had won… The dark clouds covered the heavens stared to spread and grow larger, spreading the darkness and evil though out the lands. It was his way of showing the entire magical world that he had been released, that he had returned to the world, and no one was safe and anyone could be the next victim to fall under his command.
         Outside of the city limits the prince stood on the cliffs watching the mayhem from a distance. “This isn’t over yet…when I return, you will pay.” With that solemn vow he turned his back from the city, from the life he once had and disappeared into the forest until the day he could return and lock away the evil once again, like his ancestors had so long ago.
© Copyright 2007 Uxie (uxie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1266747-The-Nightmare-Begins