*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1266822-Empiricism-vs-Rationalism
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #1266822
A short essay over Philosophy

    The  difference  between  empiricism  and  rationalism  comes  down  to  two  very  different  theories  in  Philosophy. In quoting; http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/rationalism-empiricism/; Rationalists claim that there are significant ways in which our concepts and knowledge are gained independently of sense experience. Empiricists claim that sense experience is the ultimate source of all our concepts and knowledge. End quote.

         Let us  first  take  a  look  at  rationalism. Rationalist  say  there  are  many  different  cases  in  which  sense  perception  alone  has  not  given  the  subject  matter  all  of  their  knowledge. Then  they  give  examples  of  how  reason  comes  into  play  for  the  “other”  knowledge  there  is. 

         Rene  Descartes  was  a  Rationalist. Descartes  developed  the  Cartesian  Method  of  Philosophy. The  laws  of  the  Cartesian  Method  state  as  follows:

•          Accept  nothing  as  true  which  is  not  clear  and  distinct;
•          Analyze  a  problem  into  its  parts  and  discuss  it  part  by  part;
•          Arrange  thoughts  from  simple  to  complex  as  the  order  of  study;
•          Enumerations  must  be  full  and  complete  and  nothing  must  be  omitted.
         
As  you  will  notice,  this  is  the  method  adopted  in  mathematics. With  the  intention  of  constructing  metaphysics  on  a  new  basis,  Descartes  transferred  it  to  Philosophy. So  all in all  what  Descartes, as  with  many  other  great  philosophers, was  trying  to  tell  us,  just  because  something  appears  to  be  true  or  is  greatly  believed  to be true,  doesn’t  necessarily  mean  that  indeed  it  is  truth.

Descartes  believed  that  some  ideas  are  thought  to  be  innate.  Eg.  The  idea  of  God,  and  the  first  beliefs  of  reason  and  morality. And  some  ideas  can  be  formed  through  sense  perception. And  finally  that  there  are  still  some  ideas  that  we  believe  to  be  true,  but yet,  they  are  not.  Descartes  goes  on  to  say  that  it  is  only  our  innate  ideas  that  guarantee  to  be  valid. Which  brings  on  mixed  emotions  among  christians  and  non  christians. Descartes  believed  deeply  that  there  was  a  God. He  goes  on  to  say  that  he  actually  can  PROVE  there  is  indeed  a  God. But  if  you  look  at  the  rest  of  Descartes  workings, you  find  that  he  does  not  look  at  any  other  subject  matter  in this  same  light. Descartes  said  he  knew  “the  idea”  of  “being  perfect”,  so  therefore  there  must  be  a  God.  Still  yet  in  all  other  aspects  of  Descartes  Philosophy,  he  used  reason  as  the  method  for  knowledge.  And  without  reason,  there is  no  knowledge.

Descartes  theories  were  very  simple  really. In  looking  at  the knowledge  one  has  or  will  have,  you  must  first  ask  yourself  if  you  can  in  fact  be  sure.  Is  there  preceeding  evidence  to  support  your  claim?  As  in  a  table  for  example,  I  KNOW  the  table  is  hard  because  it  is  indeed  made  up  of  hard  material.  Still  yet,  what  gives  me  my definition  of  hard?  Have  I  learned  this  from  somewhere?  What  does  the  word  actually mean?  Where  does  it  come  from?  Which  is  why ultimately  Descartes  is  in  argument  with  himself. Although  he  did  not  believe  this  to  be  true.  How  can  one  man  use  reason  to clarify  and  prove  knowledge  on  so  many  other  facets  in  life,  and  still  say  that  he  KNOWS  that  God  does  indeed  exist? 

Next  we  will take  a  look  at  the  Empiricism  Philosophical  workings  of  John  Locke. Locke  is  often  referred  to  as  “the  father  of  enlightenment”. Locke  believed  that  if  we  indeed  had  innate  ideas,  that  we  would  ultimately  be  aware  of  those  ideas.  Which  means  that  if  we  are  to  believe  something,  we  must  first  be  aware  of  it’s  existence  first.    For  example,  he  believed  that  children  could  not  possibly  have  innate  ideas  because  they  simply  have  not  had  the  experience  of  the  world  as  most  adults  do. 

There  also  Locke  said  in  his  Essay  concerning  Human  Understanding,  that  he  rejected  the  views  of  rationalist  on  their  thoughts  about  morality,  the  beliefs  of  what  is  good  and  what  is  evil  must  be  instilled  in  us  at  birth  from  God  himself.  In  this  rejection  Locke  finds  that  if  it  is  indeed  God  that  puts  these “beliefs”  into  us  at  birth,  then  why  is  it  that  we  all  have  such  different  views  of what  those  are?  “God”  could  not  have  possibly  put  these  views so  differently  into  so  many  people. Which  in  return  means  that  these  thoughts  cannot  possibly  be  innate. 

He  goes  on  to  say  that  it  is  our  experiences  that  gives  us  the  different  views  and  meanings  of  these  ideas.  It  is  what  we  are  taught  and  instructed  on  that  instills  in  our  minds  what  the meanings  truly  are.  Locke  does  not  go  as  far  as  Hume, which  we  will discuss next,  in  his  theory.

David  Hume’s  theory  leads  to  skepticism. Hume  states  that  the  cause – relation  fact  is  based  on  our  experiences.  Hume’s  thoughts  say  that  we  learn  to  do  something  from  being  told  to  or  instructed  to  do this  in  the beginning.  And  that  it  is  cause  for  continuing  to  do  the  same  things  in  the  future.  Eg.  When  you  drive  your  car,  you  go  the  speed  limit  posted  for  you  to drive  in  a  safe  manner  and  not  get  pulled  over  by  the  police  for  driving  too  fast.  But  what  happens  when  you  get  pulled  over  for  driving  in  the  wrong  lane, or  a  broken  taillight?  Which  is  where  the  skepticism  comes  into  play.  Just  because  you  are  doing  what  you  have  always  believed  would  keep  you  out  of  trouble,  doesn’t  necessarily  mean  that  you  will  have  the  same  outcome. There  are  other  factors  that  come  into  play  that  may  or may  not  allow  you  this  happening. 

Immanuel  Kant  originally  started  as  a  rationalist  but  later  turned  his  theories  to  empiricism.  Kant  argues  that  is  in  neither  our  experiences  or  our  rationale  that  leads  us  to knowledge,  it  is  both. Kant’s  central  thesis  that  “the  possibility  of  human  knowledge  presupposes  the  active  participation  of  the  human  mind”.  His  workings, to him,  where  to  bridge  a  gap  between  rationalism  and empiricism  and  in  particular,  to  provide  an  argument  for  Hume’s  Empiricism. 

In  Kant’s  words,  “thoughts  without  content  [ are ]  empty ,  and  intuitions  without concepts  [ are ]  blind ". In  this,  Kant  means  that  what  we  perceive  from  the  world,  in  our  minds,  is  because  of  our  experiences.  In  that  what  we  see,  our  minds  relate  to  our  experiences  which  gives  us  thought.  “Kant  termed  his  critical  philosophy " transcendental  idealism ",  which  for  him  is  intimately  linked  with  empirical  realism.” 

All  in  all  Kant  tells  us  that  just  because  we  believe  something  to  be  from  our experiences  and  predecessors,  does  not  duly  make  it  so.  There  are  many  things  still unknown  to  us  in  this  world.  And  we  should  ask  ourselves,  are  we  thinking  or  believing  this  way  because  it  is  the  information  that  has  been  given  to  us?  We  should  question  the where,  and  how  this  information  was  originally  came  to.  And  that  it  is  in  each  of  us  the  ability  to  find  this  knowledge.

In  conclusion,  Rationalism  and  Empiricism  have  both  taken  on  a  major  role  in  the  Philosophical  workings  of  some  of  the  greatest  minds  there  have  ever  been.  And  although  you  may  or  may  not  agree  with  each  of  them.  I  can  say  that  you  should  find  yourself,  the way  you  look  at  this  universe  we  live  in,  in  at  least  one  if  not  many  of  these  theories.  And  that  both  have  contributed  to  more  of  the  world  as  we  know  it  than  you  can  possibly  imagine. 

Although  they  have  two  very  distinctive  meanings,  without  the rationalistic  and  empiricistic  views  of  all  of  these  great  philosophers,  where  do  you  think  we  would  be  today?
 


















Works Cited

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/rationalism-empiricism/

http://www.radicalacademy.com/adiphilrationalism.htm

http://radicalacademy.com/phillocke.htm

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/empvsrat.html

http://rsuonline.edu/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=2568423&Survey=1&47=2338931&C...

http://www.philosophypages.com/ph/kant.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critique_of_Pure_Reason
© Copyright 2007 Chaney Madison (bmrsnrfn1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1266822-Empiricism-vs-Rationalism