*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1267209-ATL-Drama
by Lexis
Rated: GC · Fiction · Adult · #1267209
This short story is about a group of girls who live in atlanta.
PROLOGUE
TORIANNA
Just like always, we were in my room, chillin. Me and my girls. Our friendship has been strong for awhile now. I’ve known Cheeks for 10 years and Bre & Jazz for 6. Cheeks and I met in middle school, where in high school we met Bre and Jazz. They graduated a year before Cheeks and I. So lemme introduce my girls to you.

Cheeks a.k.a Melissa Taliaferro. Cheeks was 21, only a month younger than me. Cheeks and I met through a fight. I was supposed to be one of the fighters but of course she stepped in. We did everything together. We got our first periods together, we lost our virginities on the same day, graduated together, we even had our first kisses on a double date. Melissa and I were like sisters. She didn’t have one and neither did I, so we became sisters to each other. My mom and her mom, Mrs. Monique, were just as close as us. Every other day they were on a vacation together. Cheeks lived alone for the most part. She kept a steady paycheck rolling. Melissa was the type that didn’t give a damn. She said what she wanted and meant what she said. She was the most outspoken one of the group. She was about 5’5, and the complexion of a soft brown sugar. She and I wore the same size, 7/8. her hair was past her shoulders, and it was a sandy brown color, with blonde streaks.

Bre a.k.a Breyonne Hall. Breyonne was a 22 year old mother. Bre had Makaela when she was still in high school, but it was her last year. Bre and I had a different relationship. Bre was always there for me, no matter what, and I did the same for her. She was the type that stood for what she said, and would press until she got what she wanted. She had to be strong for her daughter because her baby’s father left her when Makaela was a baby. It was a hard time for Breyonne, but like I said, she was strong. Bre lived with her mother Brenda and her sister Breyonna. Breyonna was 8 months pregnant and didn’t know who her baby’s father was. Her and Bre never got along. I don’t think it’s a way that they could. Breyonne was 5’7, and she had chocolate skin. Her hair was shoulder length and naturally jet black.

Then there was Jazz a.k.a Jasmyne Pierce. Jazz was 23. She was the oldest of the group. Jazz had a tough life. She lost her mom when she was in middle school, and was raised by her father. He mistreated her so bad. after he kicked her out she came to me first. My mom and Cheeks mom tried to take her in but she was too outta control. Eventually she met a guy named Black who treated her worse. But I am proud of Jazz because she came a long way. She and I went to Atlanta A&T together. Jazz was the type of person who looked out for you, even when you didn’t do the same for her. She was the worried one of the group. Standing 5’6, Jasmyne was light skinned and very pretty. She had auburn hair down her back and green eyes. She was very proper but she had a ghetto tint to her.

Now me, see, I’m very different. My name is Torianna Denise Sykes. At 22, I congratulate myself for being successful, all on my own. My mom and I have a some-what tight relationship. When I was younger, all she was worried about was her sons, my four brothers. She wasn’t worried about me much. But I pulled through with a high school diploma and 2 degrees. Sure, working as an RN at Emory Cartersville Medical Center making $950.00 every two weeks is not all that. But it does pay the car note, and it puts food on the table. I don’t complain about my job because of the simple fact that I am blessed. I live on Simpson Road in a two-story cobble stoned house. Kareem bought it and he pays the bills.

Kareem is my boyfriend. He supplies all of my needs. I met him at college. He was a cousin of a football player. My roommate, Shannon, wanted him but he wanted me. we have been together for a little over three years. I have always felt like there was something missing from our relationship, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I am the type of person that goes for what I want. I don’t play games so everybody know not to fuck with me. I am 5’5 and a caramel complexion. My breast’s are a size ‘38’ C. My hair, well it changes. My natural hair is light brown and shoulder length. My eyes were light brown also.
Chapter 1
-- Back-To-Reality --
Spring ‘05

It was a typical spring Friday. The weather was very nice. I pulled up in my garage after completing an 11am-3pm at work. I was tired as hell. As I put my key in the door I heard music blasting from my house. I knew it was either my girls or Kareem. I opened the door and Jazz and Cheeks were dancing around in the living room. Bre was laying on the couch.
I threw my work bag down and joined them dancing. We were kicking it until Melissa said she had a story to tell us. She turned the music down as we listened.
Cheeks story was about her boyfriend, Isaiah. They had been together for some time now.

-It had been at least 15 minutes later and she was still telling her story.-

“Man, I told that nigga not to call me no more. He knew damn well I was mad at him and he knew I aint have a damn thing to say to his ass. So here he come banging on my door around 4 in the morning. This nigga was screaming and shit talking about ‘let me in Cheeks. Please. I’m sorry’. So of course I told him to take his lying ass home. Do yall know this muthafucker did not leave til an hour later?” Cheeks said

We all laughed at her impression of Isaiah. Isaiah and Cheeks always had some drama going on, so this didn’t come as a surprise to me. We sat and talked for a little while longer.
“Yall, we should hit up the club tonight. I mean, I know its gonna be poppin. Yall tryna go?”.
“Yea I’m in” I said. Cheeks just nodded and smile. We looked at Bre.
“What about Makaela?” she asked.
“Well, ask Breyonna. She don’t have a life anyway. I know yall don’t get along, but its only for a few hours. Just ask her Bre” Cheeks said.
“Aiight. Imma ask.”
***Later that night Bre had called her sister and she said she’d watch Makaela. We decided to get dressed at Cheeks house. She lives on Horton Drive, close to Jazz, who lived on Wickersham Road. The three of us lived alone, so most of the time we were together.

I had 2 cars. One was a Nissan-Sedan SE which was black. And the one I was driving now was my baby, a 2006 Lexus which was a Tungsten Pearl color. I was still paying it off, but I owned the Sedan. It was a gift from Kareem.

As I pulled up I turned up the radio because my favorite song ,“Weak” by SWV, was playing. I sung along:
“I get so weak in the knees I can hardly speak I loose all control and something takes hold of me in a daze, and its so amazing its not a phase I want you to stay with me… by my side I swallow my pride… your love is so sweet it knocks me right off of my feet… cant explain why your loving makes me weak”.
All I could think about was Kareem. His loving sure did make me weak.

I got out the car and headed in the house, using the key that Cheeks had gave me. I had keys to all of their houses, and they had keys to mine. For emergencies, I guess.

“Cheeks? Where yall at?” I yelled. I closed the door behind me.
“Up here” she yelled from up the steps.
I walked into her room where Jazz was in the mirror as usual, curling her hair; Cheeks had a towel wrapped around her body, like she had just got out of the shower; and Bre was getting dressed.
“What time are we leaving?” I asked. I put my Forever 21 bag on the bed and started taking off my scrubs. I had already taken a shower at home.
“In another hour. You driving, right?” Jazz asked.
“Hell no! I’m drinking tonight”
“Damn Tori. I aint drive here. Cheeks picked me up. How we gonna get there?” she said.

We all knew Cheeks wasn’t gonna drive cause she was gonna be the drunkest one.
Always was. And Bre’s car was broke. I really didn’t feel like driving. I had just driven from work and that was an hour and a half drive.

“Bre, you wanna drive? I really don’t feel like it.”
“Yeah I will drive your car. I look better in it any way.”
“Yeah, ok. You keep thinking that if you want. ”I said. We laughed and continued getting ready.

It was only 10:30 after we were all dressed so we had time to spare; the club didn’t close til 4. We sat in Cheeks nice ass living room and sipped on Tequila mixed with orange juice.
“I bet yall that nigga Cameron and his boys gonna be there tonight. Should I say something to him?” Jazz said. She had a major thing for him for awhile; it was clear they both liked each other.
“Yea cause you need a man girl. I’m telling you” I said.
“Yup. Somebody need to put a hurting on ya!” Cheeks said.

She pulled out a nick bag of weed from the kitchen drawer and Jazz grabbed a blunt. Jazz rolled; always did. We only smoked on days like these.

After she lit it we passed and puffed for another half hour. I was the last one to hit it and I took a long drag and blew it out my nose. We grabbed our bags and headed for the club. Me and my girls.
MELISSA
We pulled up to “Temptation” around 11:30. There were so many people outside and so many cars parked that Bre had to park a couple of blocks away from the club. We stepped out looking like life’s greatest.
I was rocking some white Bermuda shorts and a tan halter top with a pair of tan espadrilles. I had a tan bag around my shoulder and my hair which was short and naturally curly was in a ‘wild n crazy’ style. I had my stunna shades chillin on the top f my head.
Niggas were tryna holla at us as we made our way to the club. We turned plenty of heads, and I even heard a few whistles. The bouncer, a good friend of mine, always lets us in without standing in the line. We worked together before and he tried to get at me. at the time I was seeing Isaiah, so I couldn’t get with him, and ever since then, he’s been the sweetest person I know.
We headed straight for him.
“Yo Brent, you letting us in or what?” I asked. He smiled and opened the door.
“You know I will always have room for you. And your sexy girls”. We all thanked him and entered the club.
It was poppin! The lights were dimmed and the music was still at a fast tempo. “I Got Problems” was blasting thru the speakers. We danced our way to the bar. I could see some fine brotha’s sprinkled in the crowd. I was hoping to score with one of them because I was on a mission for a new man. Isaiah was tired, especially after the little stunt he pulled.

***
Last week I had called him and some girl had answered the phone.

“Hello?”
“Hello, who the hell is this?” I asked. I heard the bitch suck her teeth. Of course the first thing I was thinking was that he was cheating.

“This is Krystal. What do you want Melissa?” she asked with a attitude. I wasn’t even surprised it was her.

See, during the first year of our relationship, Isaiah told me that he was a father. Of course I didn’t want any of the “baby-momma-drama” but I got it. Krystal would call my house, come by, and try to leave their son, Kenyon, with him for days and she’d just be out parting.
She wanted him back but he told me he didn’t want her anymore. Even after I kicked her ass one day in the Food Lion parking lot she still wouldn’t give up.
So he decided to start giving her more money so that she would leave us alone. That didn’t work so we just had to deal with it. Now I had called his phone and this hoe had answered it.

“Where is Isaiah? And why are you answering his phone?” I asked.
“Because he’s not here. He had to pick up Kenyon from school and he left his phone.”

I almost bought her story but there was more to it.
She continued “But, just in case you were wondering where he was, he stayed the night with his baby’s mother.”
It had felt like those words had been thrown in my face.
“Yea whatever” was all I said and I hung up.

Now normally I would’ve gone for a fight but I was too upset. After that, he had been calling me since he came to my house last night. I want to believe that he didn’t sleep with her but I have a gut feeling that he did and it wasn’t one I could shake. So I let it go, along with him. Its time for a change.
***
The club was so hot. People were dancing everywhere and my girls and I were looking for some men, so we stayed at the bar a little longer, just to see if the men would come I ordered 2 shots of E&J straight, and a daiquiri.

I’m a drinker. Not an alcoholic, I just like to drink. It comes from my mother. She used to be an alcoholic but she’s changed now.

See, I’m 21. As soon as I hit this age I was drinking even more. I live by the motto “do all you can while you’re young”. So I do just that. My mom raised me to be a fighter. I was always getting suspended for beating somebody up. That’s how I met Torianna. We were in the same class in middle school. Some big ass girl tried to fight her, but wasn’t having that so I kicked her ass for Torianna and we became best friends. She reminds me everyday that I didn’t have to fight for her because she was a good fighter.
And she wasn’t lying cause in high school, when it came down to me getting jumped… my girl kicked ALL their asses and still didn’t get in trouble for it.
Along with me my mom had my idiot ass brother, Makel. Makel was my brother and also Breyonne’s baby father. He was there when she was pregnant and he left her as soon as my niece, Makaela Nicole Hall-Taliaferro was born. I was there for her.
I took care of Kaela like she was my own. Makel is 5 years older than me. He lives in NYC with some chick. He does not call his family or come see his child. No one knows exactly why he left. And Breyonne still loves him.
I was surprised when I found out about their relationship because she was only 17 and he was 20. We were still in school, our last year, and she got pregnant. At least she finished school.

***
Bre tapped my shoulder as I placed my daiquiri on wet napkin. I turned around to see what she wanted.
“What?” I asked. She smiled.
“Cheeks, your man is here.” she informed me. I was about to get mad because I did not wanna see him. I was tryna clear my mind of him.
“Damn.” I said.
“Stupid, I’m not talking about Isaiah, I’m talking about Ishmael. He’s over there” she said pointing me in his direction.

Suddenly I felt overwhelmed. Ishmael was the sweetest person I ever saw. I’ve liked him since high school, but I thought he was not interested in me. I figured out that he wasn’t when I got an invitation to his wedding. He was marrying some girl from our school. I was so hurt. In a way, I don’t even think he knew I liked him. I was gonna say hi, that’s it. He was a married man.
I fixed my clothes and made my way over in his direction. I passed Tori who was talking to a fine brotha and I passed Jazz who was getting busy on the dance floor. Bre was still at the bar. As I got closer to him I got nervous. He was leaning on a wall and a whole bunch of cuties were surrounding him. Once I got close enough I cleared my throat and everybody’s head turned. Their eyes popped outta their heads and I saw some mouths hang low. I must admit, I did look good. I had wide hips and gorgeous lips and some breast to make you stare. My light brown eyes made them like me even more.

“Hi Ishmael, you probably don’t remember me, Melissa? From school?”. I said.
I gave him a smile. He tilted his head back as if he were tryna remember. I guess he did because he reached down to give me a hug.
“Cheeks? How you been? You looking good over there, sweetheart” he said.
I was shocked that he even knew my nickname. My dad had gave it to me when I was a baby. My father, Michael Taliaferro, left my mom when we were little. She hated him for that and so did I. He never came back or called, so my mom became our ‘father’. He didn’t do anything but set a bad example for Makel.
“Yeah. I’ve been pretty good. How u been?” I tried to scream over the music. I guess he couldn’t hear me either because the next thing I know he was pulling me out of the club.
I jus followed him in silence. We got to an Expedition ’05. I gave him an unsure look.
“I just want to talk to you. You know… catch up” he said slowly and sweetly. He had this deep seductiveness about his voice. I got in the passenger side and he climbed in the driver’s side. This was going to be a good night after all.



BREYONNE
I was so bored. Nobody was asking me to dance, so I had to find somebody to dance with. I mingled across the floor and I spotted a tall muscular gorgeous man dancing alone. I danced my way closer to him and he smiled as I backed that thing up on him. We danced to “Kill” and “Eagle” together. I got tired, after 4 more songs. I moved off the dance floor and he followed.
“Damn girl you got some moves. And you’re looking good. What’s your name Shorty?” He asked.
I ran my eyes over his wardrobe and his body. He was wearing a soft green linen set and some fresh forces. I looked in his eyes and got lost. They were green also. He was light skinned and he had braids. Although nobody ever compared to my boo Makel, he sure was a piece of work. Makel was the type that stole your breath away. Standing 6’4 he rocked deep waves, well he rocked them the last time I had saw him, and that was about 5 years ago.
When I was pregnant with Makaela, Makel was my everything. He was even the one who took my virginity in high school. I still loved Makel and I was desperate to find him. I had a lot of questions to ask him and I wanted some answers. Makel left me and Makaela alone, and I didn’t even get a reason. Makel was too old when I first met him but it didn’t even matter once I got pregnant. My mom was so upset; I don’t even think she likes my daughter, Makaela.
Makaela is my heart; I live for her. She deserved happiness from me and Makel. She was getting smarter every day. Makaela often asked me about her dad and I would cry myself to sleep because I couldn’t give her an answer. It was hard. How was I gonna explain to my 5 year old daughter that her daddy left her when she was first born, and I didn’t know why? Makaela would see her dad one day, and I’d make sure of that.

This stranger standing in my face was probably just like them all. A no-good cheater.

“My name is Breyonne but everybody call me Bre. And your name is…” I said
“Christopher, but I’m known as Chris. Listen I don’t wanna be wack or nothing but I wanna know if I can have your number. I’m looking for a cutie and you definitely fit the description.” he said.
“Well, I’m currently seeing someone.” I lied. He frowned his face. I didn’t want a relationship before tonight and I damn sure didn’t want one now.
“Oh I see, its cool. Well, um, can I buy you a drink?” he offered. I knew he wasn’t gonna give up.
“Yea sure. Lets go” I said. He lead us to the bar, where he ordered me a pina colada and him regular rum and coke. We sat and talked and danced some more. I could tell that he was irritated at the fact that I didn’t give him my number because he spotted another girl and left me at the bar. I didn’t give a damn cause I had a free drink.
I live with my pitiful mom and pregnant sister. Breyonna and I never got along. Call it sibling rivalry and you’d be lying. I don’t understand why we fight but we do. That’s why I’m planning on moving out.
I’m a dental assistant, working at Tourial Scheinfeld and Kopp Dental Association. The benefits are very fair. Making $2,307.00 every two weeks, I can provide for me and my daughter. And what she doesn’t have… I’m still tryna to figure that one out. I am a strong and loving mother because I have no choice. I want the best for my daughter.
My mom thinks otherwise. Brenda. Good old Brenda. My mom is the worst person to live with. Anything you do for her is never enough and she always got her hand out. I know she’s a little messed up in the head about the death of her son. Our brother, Bryan, was killed in a set up. He was shot 6 times and one of the bullets hit a nerve in his brain. He lived 22 hours before the Lord finally called him in. That was the most terrible day of my life. My mom is still grieving so I know its hard for her.
At the young age of 16, Bryan was supposed to be an athlete. He was supposed to go to college, and be better than me and Yonna, but all that changed. Makel was there for me when my brother died. That’s why I love him so much, because it didn’t matter what the situation was, he was there. My brother died 5 years ago. And I still miss him. Always will.
I got 5 grand saved up for a house and a car. I would get mine fixed but its no use any way. Mine as well get a new one. As soon as I get a little more money, me and Kaela are gone.
JASMYNE
I did not see my him yet. Tori said he would be here but I’ve been looking for him. I see his boys though. He’s probably in the VIP section. I remember the first time I laid eyes on Cameron. I would see him around the way, making sells. He was about 6’5. He was a chocolate complexion with light brown eyes. He always stayed fresh. I knew of him but I don’t even think he knew who I was.
He was known to be a “ladies man” but you never know. I was just about to stop dancing when I spotted him in the higher level, dancing with some girl. I wanted to scratch her eyes out but what could I do? He wasn’t mine, yet.

.
© Copyright 2007 Lexis (alexisnorris at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1267209-ATL-Drama