*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1267436-My-Love
by 9642
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1267436
A suspenceful, almost poetic piece of prose. Somewhat romantic.
What goes around comes back around. The thought echoed in Jayme’s head as a voice would echo through a canyon. She had never really understood the true impact of the quote until just minutes before.
The gunshot still rang in her ears and her heart was thumping so hard she thought it would burst out of her chest, for when the explosion of gunpowder and bullet occurred she had run the six blocks as fast as she could only to find a tragedy awaiting her.
The cold earth already embraced Daniel, its arms hugging his lifeless body, sucking out the little warmth that was there. It drank his blood like a dehydrated vampire and sapped the color form his once bright face. Jayme sat upon the unforgiving earth and cradled Daniel’s head. She brushed his matted hair away from his crystal green eyes, tainting her own skin with his crimson flood. They stared back at her as if to say, “I told you this would happen. I told you and you failed to listen.”
Memories flashed before her eyes. The day when they had first met, their first kiss, the time they had gone to the circus, and the first time they were alone. Tears flooded into her eyes as if somewhere deep inside her, the dams that had held oceans back had finally cracked, then broke. She clenched the bloodied shirt in her fists and sobbed. Her body trembled with sorrows, and her voice shook with anger.
She tilted her head back to the cold dark sky. “Why?” she whispered. “Why did this happen? HOW COULD YOU LET THIS HAPPEN? OH, GOD! WHY?” the scream soared to the heavens with the hope that God would hear her. The sorrow took over and she choked upon her tears and words as she repeated the same question over and over again. The clouds overhead seemed to sympathize with her and opened up their reservoirs. The rain cascaded down in a cleansing torrent.
The blood stained earth was soon washed clean and the dark crimson stains turned into a cheery red. Jayme carefully set Daniel’s head back onto the soft pillow of grass where it would rest until the police found it along with the gat that took his life. Slowly she stood up.
Footsteps were approaching from somewhere near but Jayme didn’t care anymore. All she could think about was how she had caused this. How she, herself, had killed her love. She barely noticed Sam wrapping a blanket around her and pushing her into the wooded part of the park.
“Run.” Sam whispered. And Jayme ran. She ran for as long as she could, and then more. She ran until she nearly passed out from over exertion. When she finally stopped she was in a small clearing encircled by trees. And there she laid her troubled body, mind and soul to rest.
They say that when your true love dies, or is taken from you, that part of you dies along with it. But they lied. All of you dies. But one thing is true. What goes around comes back around and it doesn’t go away.
© Copyright 2007 9642 (caitlove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1267436-My-Love