*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1267711-On-stage
Rated: E · Short Story · Entertainment · #1267711
Setting for lesson 4 of SSP
Multicolored lights glared as Cammi's eyes adjusted to the surroundings. Standing on the stage looking out into the crowd of thousands, she felt her chest tighten. Onlookers packed the streets, waiting for the concert to begin. The roar of conversation floated through the air, blaring in her ears. Scents of roasted hot dogs and popped corn filled the air and her stomach growled in response. She knew she should have eaten earlier, but with the butterflies filling her stomach, she was afraid she couldn’t keep anything down. The blaring of horns in the background brought her attention back to the present.

Her chest throbbed with the beat of the music and she knew her time had come. This is what she’d been waiting for. Month after month, she’d played in every karaoke joint in Nashville, trying to get noticed. Her chance had finally come. The offer to play on the riverfront stage in front of thousands of people had been the chance of a lifetime; she’d leapt at it. Now the time had arrived and she wasn’t so sure she was ready.

Four-inch heels cut into her feet, adding to the growing ache. Her throat threatened to seal shut from dryness. Every attempt to slow her erratic breathing failed. Placing her hand on her stomach, she raised the microphone to her mouth. Turning her attention to the guitar painted on the side of the brick building, she tried to regain her composure. Self-doubt filled her mind, from years of being told she was worthless. “You’re no good, Cammi, you never will be.” The words echoed through her as she heard her father’s voice fill her head. His laughter at the very thought of her succeeding taunted her.

The thud of the microphone hitting the stage was the only sound as all eyes were on her. Looking out over the crowd, a blank stare covered her face. Her mouth dropped open, but no words would form. Turning, she fled the stage, leaving the onlookers gaping in disbelief.
© Copyright 2007 Lightkeeper- starting fresh!! (lghtkeepr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1267711-On-stage