*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1268302-Goodbye-Victor
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1268302
One of my short stories not my best but it works. Dark, wired ...my usual.
I sit here now in my cage, my prison as I have for the past fifty years. I am an innocent man locked in here with the rest of the rapists, murders, and thieves. I have to suffer the sounds of the insane crying out each night. I have done no wrong, I am no killer but yet here I sit for the murder of my family. That bastard walks the streets as a free man, but I rot in this hellhole. This place is filled with rats, we never leave our cells, we never wash we only sit in the dark with the echoing screams of fear and insanity. I can’t stand this place any longer I must escape!
The sound of a heavy fist pounding on the cell door boomed through the room and was followed by, “Aren’t you dead yet?” I grabbed the bucket that was to my left and sent it sliding across the floor and it slammed into the solid iron door bouncing off leaving a metallic ringing in my ears and letting the guard know I was still alive. A small rectangular portion on the bottom of the door slid upwards making another loud metal on metal sound. The guard’s hand appeared in that small opening and I saw my chance. The guard reached in farther than usual because the bucket had tipped over after hitting the door. In an instant I was across the room with the guards arm in hand, I pulled with all my might, forcing the guard to drop to all fours. “Hey!” yelled the guard, fear obvious in his voice. I pulled again this time pulling his head through the hole.
“Give me the keys!” I growled. In response the guard spit in my face. Without missing a beat I grabbed a small stick that lay near me and brought it down hard into the guards eye. This time the scream that echoed in my ear was not of insanity but of agony.
“Give me the keys, you bustard!” I yelled. A trembling hand appeared in the hole holding a set of keys. I snatched the keys, nearly taking a finger with them. I stood up and began fumbling through the keys.
“Damn it! Which key is it?” I said without much patience. All that came from the guard was a moan. With all my force I swung my leg forward, connecting his face to my foot.
“Two-forty-two” said the severely injured man in barely a whisper.
“Thank you, you have been most generous.” I said with a sarcastic grin. I again began searching through the hundreds of keys. After finding it I quickly slid open the viewing hatch in the center of the door reached my hand out and felt for the keyhole. Finding the hole was the easy part, but getting the key in and unlocking the door was a challenge. As determined as I was, a silly lock couldn’t stop me, for long. I heard the click of the lock, pulled my arm back in the room and pushed the moaning guard through the bottom hatch into the hallway.
Opening the door I stepped into the hallway looked around and ran. Running down the hallway I felt like a free man. Rounding a corner I was hit in the face by a fist. I hit the floor with a thud.
“Your not free yet.” was all I heard. I looked up to see a tall man in a uniform. He grabbed me by the shirt with both hands, lifted me in the air with my face close to his.
“This will be fun.” The guard said, drawing his arm back. Before I could react his fist flew forward and hit me in the jaw sending me backwards into a wall. Still standing I ducked the next blow and caught his wrist with my left arm then punched upward with my right breaking his arm at the elbow. I could hear the bone splitting and the flesh ripping.
The man stumbled backwards looking stunned at his almost severed arm. Not wanting to wait around for him to recover I took off down the hall as fast as I could. Coming to the end to the hallway and to a pair of double doors: the exit. Two guards stood leaning against the door, both appeared to be sleeping.
I picked up speed bent down low and crashed into the guard on the right, my shoulder slammed into his chest. The sheer force knocked the now wide-awake guard through the door and to the ground. The charge only slowed my escape not halted it. Turing the corner and running down an ally way I was free at last.
I hadn’t really thought about were I was gong so I kept running. I ran until I happened to come to my old street. Getting tired now I slowed to a walk, and I saw it: my old house. I stood in the ally for a moment looking at it and after realizing that the home was empty I walked in.
Looking around I could see that the place had not been occupied for sometime. I winced when my eyes fell upon the stain that was left form the murder of my wife. I decided to take some personal belongings with me so I went to my old room and grabbed a few things. After collecting my favorite knife and changing my clothes I got ready to leave this place of death. I stepped out into the rest of the house.
“Victor, were are you going?” came a familiar woman’s voice. I spun around to face the speaker. I was met with the sight of my wife and ten year old son.
“Who the hell are you?” I roared pulling my knife from its sheath and raised it, ready to attack.
“Victor, what’s wrong did you have a nightmare?” said the woman with a confused expression on her face.
“I think I’m in one, your dead I watched you die!” I said taking a step forward.
“No we are right here you must have had a bad dream” she said franticly, her expression now that of terror.
“No you’re the one with the bad dream,” I said my words calm and wicked. “DIE IMPOSTER!” I screamed as I leaped on the woman pretending to be my wife. We both fell to the ground. I pined her to the ground with one arm and raised the other over my head with the knife in hand.
“Daddy, No!” my son pleaded grabbing my arm. I threw my arm out wide sending him flying into a wall ten feet away. I brought my arm down hard stabbing her in the throat. She tried to scream but all that came was a gurgle as her lifeblood drained out. After getting up I walked over to the boy who was barely conscious after hitting the wall.
“Why Daddy?” he said in a whisper.
“Because,’ I said as I keeled down in front of him, “your already dead…your not real” I said holding his head in my hands.
“Goodbye.” Was the last thing he heard before having his neck broken.
It wasn’t the last sound for me as three patrolmen, having heard all the commotion broke down the door swords drawn ready to fight. I, having only a knife, surrendered. I dropped my weapon to the ground and raised my hands. There was a flash of movement to my side and then darkness.
I opened my eyes to see a man wearing a white lab jacket and holding a syringe to my neck.
“There that should bring you back to reality…for a little while at least.” he said standing up to leave.
“Wait, what?” I said trying to sit up but after realizing that I couldn’t move my arms I said “What the hell, I can’t move”
“Your in a strait jacket. You’re in an asylum for the insane. Your crazy Victor.” The doctor said.
“What…?” I said starting to panic.
“You killed you’re wife and son two years ago.”
“NO…!”
“Yes, you killed them and got sent here, all that’s happened in the past fifty years was all made up in your head to blank out the horrible memory.” Said the doctor walking towards the door, before he closed it he turned to say:
“Goodbye, Victor.”
© Copyright 2007 Phantom of the mind (poopmage at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1268302-Goodbye-Victor