*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1269876-The-Pit
Rated: 13+ · Poetry · Tragedy · #1269876
Depression and the effects on ones soul. Through the eyes of a wife and mother.
The Pit

It did not start out that way,

Each day a little larger it grew almost unnoticeable to the human eye, except she knew intuitively.

At once, it seemed the pit was now a huge gaping hole, slick as snot.

No soul could climb out of, pitch black it was.

Inside- way, way down in the pit, only darkness with nothing more than the
constant unabated thoughts and voices. Increasing her madness, extinguishing entirely her fire of hope.

The daily happenings were going on around the pit. Now and again a head would drop down and offer a crumb.

“Hi Mom”.

“Hey how you doing Babe?” (not waiting for her response) then flash- gone.

Alone again.

A eternity went by in the darkness, alone always left with scrambled puzzle pieces of thought. Time was no longer.

Withering physically to the bone. The once bursting vivacious and nurturing spirit now shriveled to the size of a raisin.

To persevere in this nothingness for so long, with no way out and no outer help; took un-daunting courage.

In no way could those qualities be acknowledged!

Oh no, never in the pit!

Sliding her bony fingers on the floor of the pit feeling around for ...what?

Her answer- a pocket mirror…then a thought clear and distinct for the first time in eons. “Break it now” A foriegn horrid voice, ”This is your escape!”

The pocket mirror shattered with much force to the bony knee, a nicely slivered piece left in the bony hand, way, way down in the pit.

Slit, SLIT!, SLIT

Out of the pit- into a dream, hazy unfocused eyes looked up to see faces peering down on her. They were staring at her forearms and wrists.
Confused and Angry faces!

"You were suppose to be at lunch" were the only audible words she could make out.

Starting to drift into a deep slumber she was awakened suddenly.

A ice cold feeling sending shivers through her frail body.

"It is freezing" came to her mind.

Despite the freezing exterior, a warmth inside started to form.

She smiled for the first time.

Realization hit!

"I feel" she said.

She had made it out of -the pit!



© Copyright 2007 ~*Roxy*~ (roxy4ever at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1269876-The-Pit