*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1270636-The-Foretelling---Ch-1
by Rissa
Rated: 13+ · Other · Ghost · #1270636
The Foretelling Ch. 1
August 3rd started just like any other day. The alarm clock next to the bed rang at six a.m., waking Robert from his comfortable sleep. As he sat up and buttoned his shirt, the woman, who's name was Sandra, rolled over, shaking off the remnants of sleep. He kissed her before taking his keys off the nightstand and leaving to his car.

As he exited the freeway, Robert picked up his cell phone and began dialing his office. He was running an hour late. The stoplight ahead of him was yellow, but he didn't slow down. A car horn blared to his left as a small Honda slammed on its brakes. Robert sped up, cursing to himself about the stupidity of the drivers around him.

Robert reached the office one hour and twenty-two minutes after he was supposed to be there. As he clocked in, the man in the cubical next to his stood up. The man's name was Brian. Brian's shift ended when Robert's started. Company rules, however, required that at least one of the two clocked in and working. This meant Brian had stayed at work almost two hours late, just so that Robert wouldn't get in trouble with the boss.

"Morning, Robert," Brian smiled as he grabbed his coat. "Late morning?"

Robert nodded his head without so much as looking up. No thank-you's, no apologies. Brian paused and, seeing that Robert wasn't going to speak, mumbled a goodbye before turning to leave.


Robert knew, as he took his cell phone from his pocket later that night, that he was being selfish and risky. He sat in the diner, slowly dialing the number to his house. Although his "all-night meetings" had become more frequent lately, he had never stayed out two nights in a row.

As he heard the ringing in his ear, he frantically peiced together different lies, trying to decide which ones were more believeable. Suddenly, he heard Emma's voice on the other line.

"Hello?" she answered sweetly. He smiled instantly. He loved her voice.

"Hi baby," he cooed, pouring on the false charm he was so good at. "I'm afraid I have some pretty bad news."

Silence was the only thing he heard on the other end.

"The meeting last night, we just couldn't get things resolved. I mean, that's why I just decided to call it a night, it was too late, and I was far too tired to try and drive all the way home," he trailed off, waiting for her to say something. She didn't.

"I don't think I'll be home tonight," he continued. "I mean, if things go well, I might be home late, but if it gets too late, I won't want to try and drive home. I'm really sorry hun, and I hope you can understand."

"Yes," she replied after a few more seconds of quiet. "I understand." Her voice was monotone, with no signs of emotion at all. "I'll see you tomorrow."

She hung up.
© Copyright 2007 Rissa (rissam at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1270636-The-Foretelling---Ch-1