*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1271362-Best-Friends-New-Boyfriend
Rated: E · Other · Cultural · #1271362
Just an essay but written for a friend with a new boyfriend.
What To Do About Your Best Friend’s New Boyfriend
At the pinnacle of the teenage existence, every man and woman comes across the wiles and charms of the opposite sex. New and difficult problems arise as experimental relationships take form. As you grow older and the level of thinking matures, relationships grow from being school-yard crushes to emotional affairs of the human heart. Friendships are tested when suddenly your friend is hanging around with “him.” Suddenly, you don’t know what to do. Should you be nice to him because he’s always around, snatching your friend away like a thief? Maybe you should just pretend nothing is happening. Although there are many ways to approach this kind of situation, here are three simple ways to act when your best friend gets a boyfriend.
When the relationship seems like a quick start, why should you, the best friend, even acknowledge his existence? He’ll be around for maybe a week or two, and then his face will disappear from the complex bulge of tissue and neutrons of the brain. Just ignore the happy couple as they act like complete idiots in front of you. Ignoring them, if this is your choice, may be a lot harder than you imagine. Certain physical movements will show the level of your displeasure. For example, the rolling of the eyes is an obvious sign of your discomfort. To take your uneasiness up a couple of levels, jumping up and down and screaming “Help Me,” or “My retinas! I’m going blind,” are good examples of your discomfort. Unfortunately, you may be thrown into an asylum if you do this too long. Also, try not to gag, for it’ll only start a battle of trying not to laugh, as your friend’s forehead heats to an unmeasurable temperature. Only deal with these two for so long and try to remember, this relationship won’t last long. Using this method will make you feel absolutely fine when the happy couple splits for good. You didn’t get to know him, and therefore, you lose absolutely nothing.
Of course, the easiest choice is to just be polite, even though this option is the least fun. Your friend really likes him. In fact, your friend’s entire world revolves around this XY chromosome person; without them, your friend apparently wouldn’t exist. Just sit there and pretend “this is someone I’ve always wanted to get to know,” and smile as if you’re enjoying his company. Bake cookies and tell them about scrap-booking; try to get them engaged into a conversation that doesn’t revolve around them. This option shows that you’ll support your friend, even if you think this guy is a duschbag. It shows that your a good person, and can be polite whenever you want.
Last, but certainly not least, is the funniest option to pull off. The objective of this choice is the scare the living daylights out of him, just to make sure he doesn’t break your friend’s heart, and after a long and tedious evaluation, he can be accepted. First off is to make him extremely uncomfortable. You are now the parent of your friend, and you must figure out this boy’s intentions. Is he here for the pleasures of a relationship, or there for the company of your friend? To find this out, you must show him who’s boss. For example, while sitting, act as if you are on a throne, listening to this peasant beg for your permission. Use powerful speech patterns and strong words to accent the protective levels of your friend, and he’ll get the point eventually. Just remember, you’re not there to scare him away, you’re there to make sure that he’ll know what's going to happen if he breaks your best friend’s heart. You’ll know when he’s passed the “best friends” test when he hasn’t fainted, passed out, begun foaming at the mouth, or run out, stark raving mad. By this time, you’ll know you can spend time around him and not gag or be offended by the pathetic romantic Shakespearean interpretation the couple is trying to pull off.
I, personally, would choose my last choice of how to deal with a friend’s new boyfriend. It would be fun to watch the poor man squirm as you ask him simple questions, and then listen to him try and answer. You just have to be careful not to make it sound as if you hate his guts and he deserves to be wiped from your memory. This choice should be used when you want to really figure out what he really wants from your friend. Have fun and enjoy the evaluation of your best friend’s boyfriend.
© Copyright 2007 Lila Vey (mcdanielsk09 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1271362-Best-Friends-New-Boyfriend