*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1271382-The-Storm
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1271382
The story of a storm and a girl.
Clouds rally against the blueness of sky and the world is covered by a seething, dark gray mass.  Wind howls through treetops and mischievously grabs paper, skirts, delicate hairdos and flings them around and around.  It rides through streets, houses, people, and trees like Hell's Angles; not stopping for rest or respite, but going, going.

For a moment, sun breaks through clouds and wind; and for a moment, shadows appear and the world is at peace.

For a moment.

The seething clouds rage against the light and the world is plunged into a dark, dangerous dusk.

The wind regains it's ferocity and rips through the world in a fury.

The clouds then rage against each other and blue-white bolts of lightning tear through the atmosphere while thunder rips at the sound barrier. 

A light pattering of rain descends and in a moment becomes a torrent of rushing water.  The wind plays with the water, making it fall sideways instead of down; making it splash through umbrellas and simultaneously making them fly.  Wind laughs at the little people below, running for safety, running to warm, dry, normal places.

With a whoop and holler that tears branches off of trees and bends signposts, the wind gives chase.  Cleaving through cars, trees, houses, and light posts like a butcher's blade, the wind preys upon petty, running humans, delighting in their fear, feeding on their fear...

The wind stops.

Without warning, the wind stops and gravely considers the thing before it.  It is a girl; ordinary as most humans go.

Only, she isn't running.

Eyes closed and arms outstretched, she stands in the middle of a street without fear.  Without the slightest trace of fear or need to be in a warm, dry, normal place.  She stands out there, enjoying the storm.

Gathering itself, the wind pulls back a little, then rushes at the girl.  Rushes at her from all sides, all at once.  She was human, she would run...

She did not run.  She laughed.

Incredulous now, the wind rushes at her again, and again, and again...
She laughs.  A sweet, wild, uninhibited laugh.  It had been a millennium since the wind had heard such a laugh.

By now, even the clouds and rain had caught sight of the girl, standing there, laughing while the wind rushed at her.

United, they all came down on her at once.  But she simply laughed harder.  She was enjoying this.

Such an odd creature they had not encountered before.  Such an odd creature they would not encounter for another millennium...

Clouds, rain, and wind, working together, rushed at the girl and lifted her.  Lifter her higher and higher, twirling her faster and faster... until she became the storm.
She rallied with the clouds, she rushed down at the world with the rain and, best of all, she ran with the wind.  She chased and whirled and scattered with the wind.

She would not leave until the next millennium, when they found another creature just like her.  Then she would be left; left like the bewildered girl standing in the street, who had once laughed at the wind a millennium ago...
© Copyright 2007 Stormy Knight (storm_watcher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1271382-The-Storm